Leukemia: Make An Appointment
Please call us at 503 494-7999 to make an appointment.
What to Expect of Your First Visit
When you call to schedule your appointment, our new visit coordinator will ask you for information including your name, address, insurance company and other information we need.
Once you have an appointment, the new visit coordinator will mail you information about your care team and forms you need to sign and bring with you to your appointment. The coordinator can answer any questions you have before your first appointment. Please don’t hesitate to call.
We will do several things at your first visit. The most important is talking about your treatment options. Because your first appointment takes about two and a half hours, please try not to bring small children. Please do not wear any perfume or cologne. Many of our patients are affected by strong scents. To cut down on germs in our exam rooms, we do not have magazines, but you may bring your own magazines or books from home. We also have wireless Internet, so feel free to bring your laptop computer.
Information for Making an AppointmentWe need information to identify you, to keep track of your medical record and to reserve the right amount of time for your appointment. We will ask for:
- Your name
- Your date of birth or Social Security number (this helps ensure that your medical information is not confused with someone who has a similar name)
- Reason for the appointment (be as specific as possible so that we can reserve the right amount of time for your visit)
- Whether you want a particular doctor/healthcare provider or the first available appointment
If your health plan restricts the clinics or providers you can use, be sure your insurance approves your visit to the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, or any tests or procedures you have. This will help you avoid unexpected fees.
Canceling an Appointment
If you cannot keep your appointment, please call 503 494-7999 as soon as possible or no later than the day before. We realize that sometimes emergencies come up and your plans may change. However, giving us as much notice as possible helps us better serve you and our other patients. When you call, we will help you reschedule for another day and time.
Preparing for your appointmentAlthough we will make most of the preparations for your appointment, there are a few things you must do:
- Insurance/Medicaid/Medicare card: Please bring your insurance, Medicaid or Medicare card to your appointments. We will verify your coverage so we can process your bill correctly.
- Co-payment or prepayment: If your health plan has a co-payment or you have a pre-payment requirement, please bring your payment with you. We accept cash, personal checks, VISA debit cards, American Express, Discover, MasterCard and VISA.
- Medication list: Please bring a list of your current prescriptions and over-the-counter (nonprescription) drugs, vitamins or supplements, as well as a list of known drug allergies.
- Medical records and X-rays: If you are being referred an OHSU lung cancer specialist from a non-OHSU clinic or doctor, please arrange for them to send your medical records and appropriate X-rays to us. For additional information, call Medical Correspondence at 503 494-8521.
- Notes about your health concerns: You might find it helpful to write a few notes about the symptoms you are having and any other health concerns.