Returning OHSU students are required to complete the following:
1. Annual flu shot and TB test
Annual flu shots and TB tests can be administered at JBT Health & Wellness Center at no charge for currently enrolled students.
2. Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) OR comparable health insurance and CURRENT approved waiver
OHSU requires all eligible students to carry major Medical and Dental insurance for every day they are here.
Option A: Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP):
OHSU will automatically enroll you in the current SHIP with PacificSource and the associated fees will be added to your student account. Your coverage will begin with the 1st day of the term period in which you are registered.
Learn more about the PacificSource Student Health Insurance Plan
Option B: Comparable coverage and CURRENT approved waiver (a new waiver is required each year):
If you already have comparable health insurance and want to continue it while at OHSU, you must apply and be approved for a waiver to avoid being automatically enrolled in and charged for the Student Health Insurance Plan. Please review the OHSU waiver requirements before you apply. Waivers are submitted via a secure online system.
- There are separate waivers for Major Medical and Dental.
- There is a strict deadline for submitting your waiver. The completed waiver application must be received by USI, our insurance broker, by the waiver deadline that is specified each term. This deadline is in alignment with the registrar's 100% refund date. If you miss the deadline, you will need to wait until the following term to apply for a waiver.
- Waivers expire at the end of each academic year (typically September). You will need to re-apply each year if you continue to have comparable coverage.
Learn more about OHSU medical and dental insurance waivers, including the process and/or requirements
3. Patient Registration (if you haven't already been seen at JBT) and dates of eligibility at JBT
If you haven't already been seen at JBT, you will need to first register as a patient at OHSU in order to do so.
- Call patient registration at 503-494-8505 and tell them you are either an OHSU student or an OHSU postdoctoral fellow
- Call JBT at 503-494-8665 to schedule an appointment
Dates of eligibility at JBT:
You are eligible to begin using JBT services at the start of the insurance term period regardless of whether you have the Student Health Insurance Plan or have waived out.