New OHSU students are required to complete the following:
1. Pre-Entrance Immunizations
Before starting your OHSU program, you will need to meet all Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) immunization guidelines for health care workers. These are meant to provide a safe environment for students, employees and patients at OHSU and participating clinical and research training sites. OHSU requires the following:
- Review the New Student Pre-Entrance Immunization Requirements and Instructions
- Review the list of required vaccinations and tests
- Complete the Immune Status Form (check with your program for the deadline)
- (optional) See these Local Vaccination Resources for possible places to complete your pre-entrance requirements
*Begin your Hepatitis B immunization series as soon as possible, since it takes 7 months to complete if you are starting from scratch. Three shots and an antibody titer showing immunity are required.
*JBT Health & Wellness Center cannot offer assistance with pre-entrance immunization requirements. One exception is that if you have already initiated the Hepatitis B series and establish with a JBT primary care provider, then JBT can provide the remaining vaccinations and titer. Unlike most of our services, you will be responsible for covering any costs not covered by insurance (including copays or deductibles). Please make sure you understand any out-of-pocket costs and ask if you have any questions prior to receiving services to avoid receiving any unexpected bills.
*You MUST complete these requirements prior to the deadline. If you have not completed them by 14 days after matriculation, a $95 fee will be charged. If you are not compliant with all requirements within 30 days, a hold will be placed on your student account that will suspend your student status and prevent you from registering and attending classes.
Log into ReadySet to view or print your immunization records.
Contact us: Email askjbtRN@ohsu.edu, call 503-494-8665, or fax 503-494-2958.
2. Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) OR comparable health insurance and approved waiver
OHSU requires all eligible students to carry major Medical and Dental insurance for every day they are here.
Option A: Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP):
OHSU will automatically enroll you in the current SHIP with PacificSource and the associated fees will be added to your student account. Your coverage will begin with the 1st day of the term period in which you are registered.
Learn more about the PacificSource Student Health Insurance Plan
Option B: Comparable coverage and approved waiver:
If you already have comparable health insurance and want to continue it while at OHSU, you must apply and be approved for a waiver to avoid being automatically enrolled in and charged for the Student Health Insurance Plan. Please review the OHSU waiver requirements before you apply. Waivers are submitted via a secure online system.
- There are separate waivers for Major Medical and Dental.
- There is a strict deadline for submitting your waiver. The completed waiver application must be received by USI, our insurance broker, by the waiver deadline that is specified each term. This deadline is in alignment with the registrar's 100% refund date. If you miss the deadline, you will need to wait until the following term to apply for a waiver.
- Waivers expire at the end of each academic year (typically September). You will need to re-apply each year if you continue to have comparable coverage.
Learn more about OHSU medical and dental insurance waivers, including the process and/or requirements
3. Patient Registration and Dates of Eligibility at JBT
You will first need to register as a patient at OHSU in order to be seen at our clinic.
- Call patient registration at 503-494-8505 and tell them you are either an OHSU student or an OHSU postdoctoral fellow
- Call JBT at 503-494-8665 to schedule an appointment
Dates of eligibility at JBT:
You are eligible to begin using JBT services at the start of the insurance term period regardless of whether you have the Student Health Insurance Plan or have waived out.