Irene Maycock, B.S. '47

March 22, 1925 - November 9, 2013 - Age 88

Irene Page Johnson Maycock passed away peacefully at home surrounded by her family on Nov. 9, 2013. Irene was born March 22, 1925, in Longview, Wash., the daughter of Mary Page Hill (deceased) and Albert W. Johnson (deceased). The granddaughter of Swedish immigrant homesteaders, Irene was proud of her farmer's daughter heritage. At the height of the Great Depression, Irene's father was killed by a bull, causing Irene, her brother, Norman Young (deceased) and their mother to move to Winlock where they remained until the devastating death of Norman in 1941. Afterward, Irene's Aunt Anna and Uncle Arthur Powell (both deceased) of Kelso, Wash., sheltered Irene, until she completed high school in 1943. Irene joined the Army, completing her BSRN from the University of Oregon Medical School in Portland in 1947. Irene served during the polio epidemic in Boise, Idaho, working at the Elk's Convalescent Home for Children. In 1948, she moved to the Alaskan territory near Sitka, to work with the Native Services, battling against the tuberculosis epidemic. In March of 1948, she met forest ranger and future husband, Clyde Maycock (deceased), while skiing on the slopes of Mt. Edgecombe. She remarked that he wasn't "repulsive, without being handsome and a dreamy skier!" They were married Feb. 4, 1950. After settling in Cordova, Alaska, their first son, Jerry Dennis (deceased) was born in 1952. Sadly, Jerry was born with severe disabilities, but Irene took pride in caring for her special-needs baby. The couple moved to Ogden, Utah in 1958, where Irene worked at the Shriner's Children's Hospital until moving to Ashton, Idaho in 1961 where she worked at Ashton Memorial. Their second child, Mary Lurintha, was born in June of that year. In 1965, sisters, Barbara Jean and Cathy Ann, were adopted. A final move took the family to St. Anthony, Idaho in 1970, where they carved out an oasis from the sagebrush near Egin. Irene taught nursing at Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho, until retiring in 1974. That year, Clyde, Irene and daughters, Barb and Mary, spent nine months driving across America in their camper. Upon return, they continued nurturing their abundant gardens on Egin Bench. Son, Jerry, passed away at the Idaho State School and Hospital in Nampa in 1977. After their girls were launched, Clyde and Irene began their world travels visiting Australia, New Zealand, the Bahamas' and Newfoundland. For years, Irene managed in-home dialysis care for Clyde, until his passing in 1999. Irene moved to Pomeroy in the fall of that year, after her beloved Egin home burned down. Irene was lovingly cared for by her daughter, Mary, and son-in-law, Roger Dye, and grandchildren, Emilie, Megan and Krista throughout her slow decline from dementia. Despite life's difficulties, Irene eschewed self-pity, was hopelessly optimistic, loved laughter and wept rarely. Irene modeled thriftiness, and was a consummate do-it-your-selfer. She nurtured lifelong friendships. Graveside services will be held at Riverside Cemetery in St. Anthony, Nov. 23, at 11 a.m., followed by scones with honey-butter (Irene's favorite) at Me-N-Stan's Restaurant in Rigby.