Timur “Tim” Mitin, MD, PhD
Cancer and Blood Disorders
Radiation Oncology, Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Boston, MA
American Board of Radiology/Radiation Oncology
Interest and Accomplishments:
Dr. Timur Mitin was born in Moscow, Russia, and came to the United States alone at the age of 16 to pursue his dreams of education. He received his BA cum laude in Chemistry and Biology at Cornell University and pursued his medical training in a combined MD/PhD program at Tufts University School of Medicine.
During his PhD training he studied cancer immunology and ultimately defended his thesis work on hormonal regulation of drug metabolism. Upon graduating from the medical school he went on to complete an internship year in internal medicine at Providence St. Vincent Hospital, and returned to Boston for his training in radiation oncology at Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, where he learned the arts and science of oncology from his mentors at Massachusetts General Hospital, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
After completing his residency program, he was invited to join the faculty of Harvard Medical School at the Massachusetts General Hospital, where he specialized in treatment of patients with genitourinary malignancies, using a combination of various modalities, including IMRT, IGRT, proton beam, brachytherapy and intraoperative radiotherapy. He was a first author of several review articles, as well as RTOG publications in the field of bladder preservation in patients with muscle-invasive bladder cancer.
He joined the medical staff at OHSU in 2014 and is now the Medical Director of the Tuality OHSU Cancer center. He is dedicated to bringing the cutting edge cancer treatment modalities to his patients.
- Dr. Mitin authors JAMA Oncology Dueling Viewpoint Rethinking Radical Cystectomy as the Best Choice
- Timur Mitin, MD, PhD is sr. author of an article the patterns of care regarding treatment.
- Review of textbook “Decision Tools for Radiation Oncology:Prognosis, Treatment Response and Toxicity” by Carsten Niederand Laurie Gaspar
- Timur Mitin, MD, PhD Selected to Serve on Inaugural Editorial Board for the New ASTRO
- The Use of Hypofractionated Whole Breast Irradiation in Treatment of Patients With Early-Stage Breast Cancer in the United States
- Promise and Pitfalls of Heavy-Particle Therapy
- Weight Gain on Androgen Deprivation Therapy: Which Patients Are at Highest Risk?
- The role of systemic disease status in treatment outcomes for patients with newly diagnosed brain oligometastases and treated with stereotactic radiosurgery alone
- Management of lymph node-positive prostate cancer: the role of surgery and radiation therapy.
- Transurethral surgery and twice-daily radiation plus paclitaxel-cisplatin or fluorouracil-cisplatin with selective bladder preservation and adjuvant chemotherapy for patients with muscle invasive bladder cancer (RTOG 0233): a randomised multicentre phase 2 trial.
- Trimodality therapy for bladder conservation in treatment of invasive bladder cancer.
- Urological cancer. The benefits of intermittent androgen-deprivation therapy.
Mitin presents novel trial concept at the SWOG Lung Radiotherapy Subcommittee
meeting during the fall 2016 semi-annual SWOG Group meeting
- Dr. Timur Mintin Presenting on Bladder Cancer
- Dr. Timur Mitin Presenting at Moscow Conference
- Dr. Timur Mitin was a moderator at the 2014 ASTRO GU Oral proffered paper session in San Francisco [ Picture2 ]
- Dr. Mitin presents "IORT for Recurrent/Advanced Rectal Cancer"
- Dr. Timur Mitin Presented on Esophageal Cancer
- Drs. Henderson, Young, and Mitin, are all on the oral platform for the ASTRO’S 56th Annual meeting: Targeting Cancer: Technology & Biology
- OHSU Global Radiation Medicine program co-authors oral presentation at ASCO 2018 annual meeting
- Dr. McClelland receives 2018 Conquer Cancer Foundation/ASCO Merit Award for presentation
Dr. Mitin was faculty member at Spring 2018 Russian Cancer Congress, Moscow
- Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation for Limited-Stage Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Survey of US Radiation Oncologists on Current Practice Patterns[NCBI]
- Tuality Radiation Oncology's pioneering VERT 3D patient education program is featured on KGW TV in Winter 2018
- The Danger of Applying the ProtecT Trial to Minority Populations[Jama Network]
- Tumor-Treating Fields Answering the Concern About Quality of Life[NCBI][JamaNetwork]
- Current Practice Patterns Surrounding Fertility Concerns in Stage I Seminoma Patients: Survey of United States Radiation Oncologists[Liebertpub]
- Timur Mitin: "Adjuvant therapy can be an effective method in patients with gall bladder cancer" (RU Lang)
- Dr. McClelland is selected to receive a Young Oncologist Travel Award
- Treatment Course Interruption/Delay Due to Weekend Breaks: Acknowledging and Confronting Personal and Professional Biases
- Active Surveillance for Low and Intermediate Risk Prostate Cancer: Opinions of North American Genitourinary Oncology Expert Radiation Oncologists[NBCI]
- A Brief Opinion on Pulling Down Briefs
- OHSU is 1st in the nation to implement a virtual simulation tool
- Is Advocacy for Active Surveillance Over Definitive Intervention in Low-Risk Prostate Cancer Applicable to African American Patients?
- Jehan Yahya will be presenting 2 papers at the 2018 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium
- Neoadyavant chemotherapy and postoperative irradiation in breast cancer: interrelation
- Why Should Med. Students Attend an IASLC Conference?
- Dr. Mitin presents protocol concept @ SWOG Radiation Comm
- Matt Farrell gave 2 presentations at the Multidisciplinary Symposium in Thoracic Oncology
- New published article on palliative care model
- Dr. Mitin is senior author on a survey paper describing bladder preservation patterns of care
- Dr. Mitin interview at "Wear Blue Night at the Hops" summer classic during Hillsboro Hops minor league baseball summer classic, August 2017
- Multiple abstracts selected for presentation at the 103RD SA&A meeting of the RSNA
- Timur Mitin, MD, PhD has been selected to serve as
Associate Editor of a flagship journal
- Dr. Mitin presents at the Summer 2017 NRG GU Committee
- Timur Mitin has been appointed to serve on the Annual
Meeting Scientific Program Committee
- Timur Mitin, MD, PhD receives SWOG Dr. Charles A. Coltman, Jr. Early Career Fellowship award
- Dr. Mitin & colleagues present at the RUSSCO
HCC/Upper GI Contouring Workshop April 2017
- Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastasis: Evolving Paradigms and Future Directions [NCBI]
- Drs. Timur Mitin and Kristian Enestvedt joined forces
with Doctor's at American Cancer Society
- Adjuvant Radiotherapy Use by US Radiation Oncologists After Radical Cystectomy for Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer
- Dr. Timur Mitin has been selected as an awardee for the SWOG Leadership Academy
- Practice Patterns of Thoracic Radiotherapy for Extensive-Stage Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Survey of US Academic Thoracic Radiation Oncologists
- Timur Mitin, MD, PhD appointed to the NRG Oncology Genitourinary Cancer (GUC) Core Committee
Mitin, Dr. Likhacheva, and Dr. Khmelevsky co-author review on the radiation
oncology in Russia
Mitin appointed as representative to NCI Committee Rectal-Anal Task Force
Timur Mitin named as an examiner to the American Board of Radiology
- Dr. Mitin conducted a Contouring session at the annual RUSSCO forum in Moscow
- Drs. Timur Mitin & Charles Thomas, Jr., participated in multiple sessions at annual RUSSCO
- Dr. Timur Mitin has
joined the select editorial board of the journal "Bladder Cancer"
Role of Radiotherapy for Renal-Cell Carcinoma: Review [PDF]
- Dr. Timur Mitin a
visiting faculty at radiation oncology of the Henry Ford Hospital
- Patterns of care for patients with extensive stage small cell lung cancer
- Bladder preservation treatment available at Tuality/OHSU Cancer Center
- RSNA Research & Education Foundation 2016 Grants
- Is Surgery Needed for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer? (PDF)
- Dr. Timur Mitin with the assistance of Dr. Shushan Rana, has received a 2016-17 Research Seed Grant
- Drs. Bornstein, Mitin, & Thomas to serve as moderators & discussants for 2016 ASTRO meeting
- American Cancer Society titled "Study Indicates
Socioeconomic Factors May Explain Lack of Use"
- HIV positivity and anal cancer outcomes: A single-center experience | (PubMed)
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) Practice Patterns and IGRT's Impact on Workflow and Treatment Planning: Results From a National Survey of American Society for Radiation Oncology Members (PDF)
- Dr. Timur Mitin served as a visiting professor at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Dr. Nabavizadeh is lead author on a featured ASTRO membership survey
- Long-Term Outcomes Among Patients Who Achieve Complete or Near-Complete Responses After the Induction Phase of Bladder-Preserving Combined-Modality Therapy for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer: A Pooled Analysis of NRG Oncology/RTOG 9906 and 0233
- Three Questions for Timur Mitin, MD
- Preoperative carboplatin and paclitaxel-based chemoradiotherapy for esophageal carcinoma
- Drs. Timur Mitin and Alex Guimaraes are co-PIs of the Esophageal Cancer Research award
- Drs. Timur Mitin and Christian Lanciault are co-PIs on Innovation Grant from the Dean’s Office
- Dr. Timur Mitin will serve as a moderator/discussant at the 57th Annual Meeting of ASTRO
- Dr. Timur Mitin is selected to serve on Advisory Board
- Dr. Mitin joins patient with violin duet
- The New England Journal of Medicine (Esophageal Carcinoma: To The Editor)
- The role of whole brain radiation therapy in the management of melanoma brain metastases
- Dr. Timur Mitin is an invited speaker for the OHSU Brenden-Colson Center for Pancreatic Care’s 2014 PancWest Symposium
- Dr. Timur Mitin Appointed to ASTRO Committee
- Dr. Timur Mitin Participates in the MSTP Residency Rountable
- Tuality/OHSU Cancer Center names new medical director