Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
OHSU School of Medicine, Division of CME, designates this live activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ per session. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatry residents and fellows, medical students, social workers, masters in administration, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and pharmacists. Additionally, Psychiatry Grand Rounds is open to the public.
Typically held the 1st, 3rd & 4th Tuesdays of each month
Noon to 1pm, 8B60, 8th Floor, OHSU Hospital (unless otherwise noted)
Psychiatry Grand Rounds provides continuing medical education for the target audience. We strive to enable discussion that is both about and involves the patient so the physician can better understand the depth of one's mental illness. In Grand Rounds we explore the history of certain policies and procedures in place for handling mentally ill patients and what can happen to improve care and treatment that they receive, as well as to better explain and expand on various forms of mental illness and how treatment should be approached and practiced by the clinician.
Please join us for a special Grand Rounds with Peter Fonagy at
the Herbert M. Woodcock Lecture on Friday May 23rd (Noon in the Vey - no Registration Required)
and Saturday May 24th (Registration required)
June 3, 2014
Medical Marriages: Occupational and General Factors in Relationship Satisfaction
Jack Crossen, PhD, Clinical Associate Professor, OHSU Department of Psychiatry
- Based on a national survey of spouses/partners of experienced physicians, state the dominant factor that seems to show a dose-response effect on relationship satisfaction.
- According to the same national survey, state the three most common concerns identified by spouses/partners of physicians regardless of satisfaction level.
- Outline one of several limitations of the study on the national survey of partner-of-physician relationship satisfaction.
- Name the two most predictive variables for the outcomes of variables marital and parental satisfaction found in a study of personal and professional factors in the lives of married physicians with children.
- List the three types of support they related receiving from spouses identified during an exploratory interview study of Canadian physicians.
- Gottman and colleagues have replicated in seven different studies patterns of interaction predicting divorce with over 90% accuracy of married couples ranging from newlyweds to older couples through retirement. List the five behavioral variables that provide this reliable statistical prediction.
- Name the two major conceptual areas of functioning for couples postulated by Gottman & Gottman in the theory of the Sound Relationship House.
- Describe two recommendations from a component-analysis study of couples participating in a two-day psycho-educational workshop applying principles of the theory of the Sound Relationship House.
June 17, 2014
Transdiagnostic Treatment of Emotional Disorders: A Case for Targeting Emotional Dysregulation in the Tretment of Mood and Anxiety Disorders
Daisy Lembke, Psy.D., Assistant Professor, OHSU Department of Psychiatry
- Discuss the rationale for viewing emotional dysregulation as a transdiagnostic phenomenon in depression and anxiety
- List the definition of emotion regulation and dysregulation
- State 3 ways that maladaptive emotion regulation strategies create and maintain symptoms of depression and anxiety, and other addictive and self-destructive behaviors
- Discuss strategies for talking to patients about their emotions and teaching them skills of emotion regulation from a Cognitive Behavioral and Dialectical Behavioral perspective
Grand Rounds Notification
We send out notifications a few days in advance of Grand Rounds. If you would like to receive these notifications, please fill out the form below.