Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
OHSU School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatry residents and fellows, medical students, social workers, masters in administration, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and pharmacists. Additionally, Psychiatry Grand Rounds is open to the public.
Typically held the 1st, 3rd & 4th Tuesdays of each month
Noon to 1pm, 8B60, 8th Floor, OHSU Hospital (unless otherwise noted)
Psychiatry Grand Rounds provides continuing medical education for the target audience. We strive to enable discussion that is both about and involves the patient so the physician can better understand the depth of one's mental illness. In Grand Rounds, we explore the history of certain policies and procedures in place for handling mentally ill patients and what can happen to improve care and treatment that they receive, as well as to better explain and expand on various forms of mental illness and how treatment should be approached and practiced by the clinician.
Accessing Psychiatry Grand Rounds Remotely
Our lectures are viewable remotely, simply Click Here to be connected to the live stream or to view past lecture recordings. To receive CME credit, you must watch the lecture live during the time of the presentation. After you watch the Grand Rounds, you can submit your attendance by filling out an evaluation survey which you can obtain from Micaela Sandoval (email@example.com), Grand Rounds Coordinator.
Grand Rounds Schedule
September 19, 2017
- Discuss the distribution of dopamine D2/3 receptors in human brain and how it differs from that in rodents and nonhuman primates
- List the changes in dopamine D2/3 receptor mediated neurotransmission in schizophrenia, the relationship of these changes to symptoms of schizophrenia and the effects of antipsychotic drugs
- Explain the role of dopamine D2/3 receptor and dopamine neurotransmission in mediating reward behaviors in healthy subjects and disorders with altered reward function.
September 26, 2017
- Compare brain structure in those exposed to methamphetamine and/or tobacco to healthy controls.
- Discuss how brain structure is associated with the integrity of the dopamine system.
October 3, 2017
- Discuss the state of mental health services for Asian immigrants and refugees in the Tri-counties area.
- List the challenges of providing mental health care to the non English speaking elderly.
October 17, 2017
- Recognize that the relationship between nutrition and mental health has been understood for thousands of years
- Understand that optimizing mental health requires more than a single nutrient
- Identify the range of studies conducted on micronutrients for attention, mood and stress
- Demonstrate knowledge about the micronutrient study at OHSU for children with ADHD and emotional dysregulation
October 24, 2017
- Describe the unique challenges in international outreach project.
- Discuss the methods utilized to introduce child and adolescent psychiatry and evidence based medicine in a foreign country.
- Provide analysis of the first year's feedback from participants and describe how targets were changed for the second year.
- Encourage personal reflection on teaching and outreach - locally, nationally, and internationally.
November 7, 2017
- Identify systemic challenges to providing care for all individuals with Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Discuss typical course of Borderline Personality disorder.
- Explain "Good Psychiatric Management of Borderline Personality Disorder" as a model for Borderline Personality Disorder care in general outpatient clinics.
Grand Rounds Notification
We send out notifications a few days in advance of Grand Rounds. If you would like to receive these notifications, please fill out the form below.