Department of Neurological Surgery Distinguished Alumni Award
The OHSU Department of Neurological Surgery appreciates that there are many distinguished former departmental residents who have made significant achievements in, and contributions to, academic and clinical neurosurgical practice. In recognition of their contribution to the field the department has created an annual Distinguished Alumni Award. The award will be presented usually each year at the Paxton Alumni Reunion and the honored awardee will be called upon to give a short presentation on a subject of their choosing.
Dr. Ono is active in retirement. An avid competitive golfer, who picked up the game in his mid-50’s, he remains active in neuroscience research with a particular interest in embryonic stem cell research. In 2009, he joined the Oregon National PrimateResearch Center, OHSU as a part-time researcher collaborating with Shoukhrat Mitalipov, Ph.D. He is affiliated with the National Institute of Genetics Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan and was appointed director elect of the stem cell regeneration treatment center, Department of Neurosurgery, Nishijima Hospital, Numazu, Shizuoka, Japan, in 2010.
Distinguished Alumni Award
- 2010 — Hirohisa Ono, M.D., Portland, Ore.
- 2009 — Calvin Tsugio Tanabe, M.D., Portland, Ore.
2008 — Perry Camp, M.D. and Guy Gehling, M.D., Walla Walla, Wash.
2007 — Larry Tice, M.D., Grand Junction, Colo.
- Priscilla Pang, MD, MS, is the Pediatric Neurosurgery Campagna Fellow at OHSU.
- Abigail Rao, MD, is a Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Fellow at UCLA Medical Center.
- Jessie Liu, MD, completed an Interventional Neuroradiology Fellow at OHSU in 2016. He is the Skull Base Surgery Fellow at OHSU in 2017.
- Jeffrey Raskin, MD, MS, completed a Pediatric Neurosurgery Fellowship at Texas Children's Hospital in 2016. He is now a pediatric neurosurgeon at Riley Children’s Health, Indiana University.
- Brain T Farrell, MD, PhD, is a neurosurgeon with Riverside Health System, Virginia.
- Nathaniel Whitney, MD, is a neurosurgeon with Inland Neurosurgery and Spine, Spokane, Washington.
- Hai Sun, MD, PhD, completed a Fellowship in Skull Base and Cerebrovascular Surgery at Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona. He is now Director of Epilepsy Surgery, Department of Neurological Surgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana.
- Neil E. Roundy, MD, is a neurosurgeon with Oregon Neurosurgery, Springfield, Oregon.
- Mark Piedra, MD, is a neurosurgeon with the Billings Clinic, Billings, Montana.
- Eric M Thompson, MD completed a Fellowship in Clinical Pediatric Neurosurgery at University of Toronto Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario. He is now a pediatric neurosurgeon at Duke University Health System, Durham, North Carolina.
- M Caglar Berk, MD, joined the neurosurgical staff at Randall Children's Hospital, Legacy Emanuel, Portland, Oregon.
- Ahmed Raslan, MD, joined the neurosurgical faculty at OHSU. He also serves as director of quality management for the OHSU Neuroscience Service Line.
- Emun Abdu, MD, completed a fellowship at University of Washington, Seattle, Washington. She is now a practicing neurosurgeon at EvergreenHealth Spine & Neurosurgical Care, Kirkland, Washington
- Samuel Hughes, MD, PhD, is a neurosurgeon with Northwest Permanente in Portland, Oregon.
- Zachary Litvack, MD, MCR, completed a Pituitary/Anterior Skull Base Fellowship at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, MA. He is now Director of Skull Base and Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery at Swedish Neuroscience Institute, Seattle, Washington.
- Jason Weinstein, MD, is a neurosurgeon with Northwest Permanente in Portland, Oregon.
- Justin Cetas, MD, PhD, completed a fellowship in skull base surgery at OHSU. In 2010 accepted a position of neurosurgeon at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Portland, Oregon, where he is now Chief of Neurosurgery. He is also a neurosurgeon at OHSU and the Department of Neurological Surgery Residency Program Director
- Kiarash Golshani, MD, completed a vascular/interventional fellowship at Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC. He is now a neurosurgeon at University of California Irvine.
- Jonathan Carlson, MD, PhD, is a neurosurgeon with Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children's Hospital, Inland Neurosurgery and Spine Associates, Spokane, Washington.
- Kenneth Liu, MD, FAANS, FACS, completed a 2-year fellowship in interventional neuroradiology at OHSU. In 2017, Dr. Liu accepted a faculty position at Pennsylvania State University Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in the Department of Neurological Surgery, with joint appointments in the Department of Radiology and Department of Neurology. He previously served as director of neurovascular surgery, as well as co-director of the Stroke Center and the Division of Cerebrovascular and Skull Base Surgery at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
- Warren Roberts, MD, accepted a position with Avista Adventist Hospital, a member of Centura Health, Colorado's largest healthcare system. Dr. Roberts is a neurosurgeon with Legacy Meridian Park Medical Center, Tualatin, Oregon.
- Matthew Hunt, MD, FRCS, spent a year as a specialist registrar at the Victor Horsley Department of Neurosurgery, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN), Queen Square, London, In 2009 he accepted a neurosurgical faculty position at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. He now serves as residency program director for the Department of Neurosurgery.
For more information regarding any of the above information please contact Josh Letiner at 503-494-6207.