Past Publications and Conference Presentations
We take such pride in our residents' accomplishments in scholarship, and this includes publications and poster/oral conference presentations. Our residents present at multiple regional and national conferences this year, as well as events hosted within the OHSU community. Our residents also publish in dozens of medical journals annually. Given the total number of scholarly works, the drop-down menus include the past years' accomplishments, unless otherwise noted. Further lists of scholarly work can be found in the prior scholarship newsletters (see the Scholarship homepage for the most current newsletter):
ACP Virtual Poster Sessions
- 6th Annual Virtual Poster Session (2018)
- 5th Annual Virtual Poster Session (2017)
- 4th Annual Virtual Poster Session (2016)
- 3rd Annual Virtual Poster Session (2015)
- 2nd Annual Virtual Poster Session (2014)
- 1st Annual Virtual Poster Session (2013)
National ACP Poster Presenters
- 2018: Jessica Dreicer, Hayden Oldham, Elisa Larson
- 2017: Jeff Bien, Suvi Neukam, Hayden Oldham, Bethany Roy, Kathy Wunderle
- 2016: Jia Luo, Briana Ketterer, Noelle Garster
NW Regional SGIM Poster Presenters
- 2018: Jeffrey Bien, Kaitlin Brooke, Jouquin Chapa, Stephen Cohen, Cate Edgell, Michael Gardner, Bruce Kaufman, Aya Mayo, Namisha Thapa, Kathy Wunderle, Teena Xu
- 2017: Jessica Morton, Linda Wang, Patricia Liu, Emilio Sulpizio, Charles DeDeaux, Kristy Duggan, Wendy Tseng, Carlton Scharman, Jeffrey Bien, Chris Purtell
- 2016: Michael Loudin, Megan Molleck, Carlton Scharman, Chris Fine, Zaida Rodriguez
OHSU GME Performance Excellence Week (2018):
- Hayden Oldham, Jake Luty, Brady Wright, Blake Lesselroth. “A Breath of Fresh Care: Increasing Referrals for Pulmonary Rehabilitation After Admission for Acute Exacerbation of COPD.” FIRST place poster.
- Kaleb Keyserling, Michael Gardner, Selvi Williams, Deana Green, Ambika Bhushan, Kimberly Chesteen, Shahana Baig-Lewis, Edward Maldonado, Garrett Waagmeester, Katherine Mackey. “From Doorknob Complaints to Windows of Opportunity: Improving Provider Satisfaction through Patient Agenda Setting.”
- Anna Stecher, Briana Ketterer, Jake Luty, Brady Wright, Paige Sutherland, Bernadette Zakher, Kaleb Keyserling. “Housestaff Driven Improvements in Surrogate Decision Maker Documentation”
- Garrett Waagmeester, Lisa Kipersztok, Amy Caldwell, Thomas Frohwein, Ashley Valentine, Abigail Huang, Joel Burnett, Allie Maffit, Chris Varani, Jacob Luty. “Housestaff Perception of Culture of Safety and Barriers to Incident Reporting.”
- Ashray Maniar, Image Challenge, Infectious Disease Society of Oregon, November 2018
- Steven Koprowski, "Abdominal Pain in an Elderly Male". Presented at Oregon Gut Club semifinals and finals, September 2018
- Namisha Thapa, "Hereditary Angioedema Related Pancreatitis with Rapid Improvement After C1 Inhibitor Administration", presented at Oregon Gut Club semifinals, September 2018.
- Aaron Smith, "How to Create Easy, Robust Learning Modules in Just Minutes." Presentation at Oregon Technology in Education Network (OTEN) Inspiration & Innovation Annual Conference, February 2018.
- Max Gordon, "Medical Comorbidities Assessed by CIRS Negatively Impact Survival in the Era of Targeted Therapies in CLL: A Multicenter Retrospective Analysis". ASH. December 2017. Abstract published here.
- Taylor Myers, "Spontaneous Regression of Non Small Cell Lung Cancer." CHEST Annual Meeting. November 2017.
- Aaron Smith, "How to Create Easy, Robust Learning Modules in Just Minutes." Workshop at October 2017 AAIM Alliance Skills and Leadership Conference.
- Chris Purtell. "Safety Profile of Echocardiographic Contrast Agents." 22nd World Congress on Heart Disease. July 2017. Abstract published here.
- Chris Purtell. "Improvement in Biventricular Cardiac Mechanics Notes in Patients with AL Amyloidosis After Stem Cell Transplantation." 22nd World Congress on Heart Disease. July 2017. Abstract published here.
Ambika Bhushan, "Mind the Gap: Errors in Ventilator Data Communication During Daily ICU Rounds". ATS, May 2018.
- Patricia Liu, "A Study of ICU Rounding Artifacts after the Implementation of a Standardized ICU Note Template" ATS, May 2018.
- Eric Lu, "DNA Repair Gene Alterations and PARPInhibitor Response in Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer Patients" OHSU Research Week 2018
- 2018: Logan Jones, "This Case is Nuts"
- 2018: Joel Burnett, "An Unnerving Situation"
- 2017: Jessica Dreicer, "Let's Not be Rash"
- 2017: Kristy Duggan, "DisCORDant Symptoms Simplified"
- 2016: Jeffrey Bien, "On Booby Traps and Burner Phones"
- 2016: Curtis Lachowiez, "Breaking the Case, by Breaking the Blood"
- 2015: Briana Ketterer, “Let’s Be Parsimonious”
- 2015: Renee Honeyfield, “The River Rat’s Revenge”
Regional SGIM Plenary and Oral
- 2018 Top Ranked Oral Vignette: Bruce Kaufman, "Back to Basics: The Limits of pH"
- 2018 Workshop: Alina Plavsky and Kristy Duggan, "Tech for Teaching: Utilizing Technology to Foster Active Learning in Medical Education"
- 2017 Plenary: Jeffrey Bien, "On Booby Traps and Burner Phones"
- 2017 Oral: Wendy Tseng, "Way off from Korsakoff—A Case of Confabulation Due to Anterior Communicating Artery Aneurysm Rupture
- 2016 Plenary: Michael Loudin “Coccidioides immitis cervical lymphadenitis causing esophageal fistula”
- 2016 Top Ranked Oral Presentation: Chris Purtell, “A Cryptic Presentation of Pseudogout”
OHSU 2018 GME Performance Excellence Week Oral Presentations (3MT):
- Kaleb Keyserling. “Improving Provider Satisfaction through Patient Agenda Setting.”
- Briana Ketterer, representing the Housestaff Quality & Safety Council. “Housestaff Driven Improvements in Surrogate Decision Maker Documentation”
- Garrett Waagmeester, representing the Housestaff Quality & Safety Council. “Housestaff Perception of Culture of Safety and Barriers to Incident Reporting.” SECOND place 3MT.
- Yuan C, Fondell E, Bhushan A, Ascherio A, Okereke OI, Grodstein F, Willett WC. Long-term intake of vegetables and fruits and subjective cognitive function in US men. Neurology. 2018 Nov 21.
- Klug LR, Bannon AE, Javidi-Sharifi N, Town A, Fleming WH, VanSlyke JK, Musil LS, Fletcher JA, Tyner JW, Heinrich MC. LMTK3 is essential for oncogenic KIT expression in KIT-mutant GIST and melanoma. Oncogene. 2018 Sep 21.
- Johnstone C, Joiner KA, Pierce J, Krouse RS. Mohs Micrographic Surgery Volume and Payment Patterns Among Dermatologists in the Medicare Population, 2013. Am J Clin Oncol. 2018 Dec;41(12):1199-1203
- Reformat DD, Nores GG, Lam G, Cuzzone D, Hill JB, Muresan H, Thanik V. Outcome Analysis of Metacarpal and Phalangeal Fixation Techniques at Bellevue Hospital. Ann Plast Surg. 2018 Oct;81(4):407-410.
- Stranix JT, Lee ZH, Lam G, Mirrer J, Rapp T, Saadeh PB. Limb-sparing sarcoma reconstruction with functional composite thigh flaps. Microsurgery, 2018, Vol.38(5), p.466-472.
- Koprowski S, VanLue MJ, McCormick ME. Treatment of Stress Velopharyngeal Incompetence With Injection of Hyaluronic Acid. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2018 Apr;55(4):615-618.
- Dua A, Koprowski S, Ali F, Desai SS. Factors that Predict Failure to Meet Merit-Based Incentive Payment System Quality Measures for Asymptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy. Ann Vasc Surg. 2018 Apr;48:127-132.
- Calzada O, Switchenko JM, Maly JJ, Blum KA, Grover N, Mathews S, Park SI, Gordon M, Danilov A, Epperla N, Fenske TS, Hamadani M, Flowers CR, Cohen JB. Deferred treatment is a safe and viable option for selected patients with mantle cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2018 Jun 18:1-9.
- Thapa N, Pham R, Cole C, Meinershagen M, Bowman PW, Ray A. Therapeutic leukocytapharesis in infants and children with leukemia and hyperleukocytosis: A single institution experience. J Clin Apher. 2017 Nov 29.
- Jones RL, Sayles HR, Fey PD, Rupp ME. Effect of Clinical Variables on the Volume of Blood Collected for Blood Cultures in an Adult Patient Population. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017 Nov 21:1-5.
Fender EA, Chandrashekar P, et al. Coronary artery bypass grafting in patientstreated with thoracic radiation: a case–control study. Open Heart 2018;5:e000766.
Zack CJ, Fender EA, Chandrashekar P, Reddy YNV, Bennett CE,Stulak JM, Miller VM, Nishimura RA. National Trends and Outcomes in Isolated Tricuspid Valve Surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017 Dec19;70(24):2953-2960.
Chandrashekar P, Fender EA, ZackCJ, Reddy YNV, Bennett CE, Prasad M, Al-Hijji MA, Stulak JM, Miller VM. Sex-stratified analysis of national trends and outcomes in isolated tricuspid valve surgery. Open Heart. 2018 Jan 9;5(1):e000719.
Greenwell IB, Staton AD, Lee MJ, Switchenko JM, Saxe DF, Maly JJ, Blum KA, Grover NS, Mathews SP, Gordon MJ, Danilov AV,Epperla N, Fenske TS, Hamadani M, Park SI, Flowers CR, Cohen JB. Complexkaryotype in patients with mantle cell lymphoma predicts inferior survival and poor response to intensive induction therapy. Cancer.2018 Mar 26.
Gordon MJ, Churnetski M, Alqahtani H, Rivera X, Kittai A, Amrock SM, James S, HoffS, Manda S, Spurgeon SE, Choi M, Cohen JB, Persky D, Danilov AV. Comorbidities Predict Inferior Outcomes in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Treated withIbrutinib. Cancer. 2018 May 24.
Gordon MJ, Lewis LD, Brown JR, DanilovAV. Bendamustine hydrochloride in patients with B-cell malignancies who havecomorbidities - is there an optimal dose? Expert Rev Hematol. 2017Aug;10(8):707-718.
Gordon MJ, Raess PW, Young K, SpurgeonSEF, Danilov AV. Ibrutinib is an effective treatment for B-cell prolymphocyticleukaemia. Br J Haematol. 2017 Nov;179(3):501-503.
Liew J, Williams L, Dobscha S,Barton JL. Post traumatic stress disorder and correlates of disease activity among veterans with ankylosing spondylitis. Rheumatol Int. 2017 Aug 24.
Quigley D, Alumkal JJ, Wyatt AW, Kothari V, Foye A,Lloyd P, Aggarwal R, Kim W, Lu E, Schwartzman J, Beja K, Annala M, DasR, Diolaiti M, Pritchard C, Thomas G, Tomlins S, Knudsen K, Lord CJ, Ryan C,Youngren J, Beer TM, Ashworth A, Small EJ, Feng FY. Analysisof Circulating Cell-Free DNA Identifies Multiclonal Heterogeneityof BRCA2 Reversion Mutations Associated with Resistance to PARPInhibitors. Cancer Discov. 2017 Sep;7(9):999-1005.
Lu E, Thomas GV, Chen Y, Wyatt AW, Lloyd P, Youngren J, Quigley D, Bergan R, Bailey S, Beer TM, Feng FY, Small EJ, Alumkal JJ. DNA Repair Gene Alterations and PARP Inhibitor Response in Patients With Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2018 Aug;16(8):933-937.
Lu E, et al. Epirubicin and Ifosfamide with Preoperative Radiation for High-Risk Soft Tissue Sarcomas. Ann SurgOncol. 2018 Apr;25(4):920-927.
NabavizadehN, Waller JG, Fain R 3rd, Chen Y, Degnin CR, Elliott DA, Mullins BT, Patel IA, Dyer BA, Fakhoury K, Naugler WE, Farsad K, Tanyi JA, Fuss M, Thomas CRJr., Hung AY. Safety and Efficacy of Accelerated Hypofractionation and Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy forHepatocellular Carcinoma Patients With Varying Degrees of Hepatic Impairment. Int J Radiat Oncol BiolPhys. 2018 Mar 1;100(3):577-585.
VonVersen-Hoynck F, Petersen JS, Chi YY, Liu J, Baker VL. First trimesterpregnancy ultrasound findings as a function of method of conception in aninfertile population. J Assist Reprod Genet (2018).
Scharman CD, Shatzel J, DeLoughery T. Off-Label Use of 4-FactorProthrombin Complex Concentrate is Common Despite Little Known Benefit: ARetrospective Study. Eur J Haematol.2018 Jun 4.
Miller N, Shuler J, Hayley D, He J. Porter-Williamson J, Kalendar-Rich J. Across theContinuum: How Inpatient Palliative Care Consultations are Reported in HospitalDischarge Summaries. J Palliat Med. 2018 Jan;21(1):85-88.
Goyal G, Maldonado EB, Fan TJ, Kanmanthareddy A, Silberstein PT, Go RS, Armitage JO. Treatment Patterns and Outcomes in Early-stage Hodgkin Lymphoma in the Elderly: A National Cancer Database Analysis. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2017 Sep 20.
- Tholey DM, Hornung B, Enestvedt CK, Chen Y, Naugler WS, Farsad K, NabavizadehN, Schlansky B, Ahn J, Jou JH. Close observation versus upfront treatment in hepatocellular carcinoma: are the exception points worth the risk? BMJ Open Gastroenterol. 2017 Sep11;4(1):e000157. eCollection 2017.
- Allen JE, Vennalaganti P, Gupta N, Hornung B, Choudhary A, Titi M, Alsop BR, Lim D, Sharma P. Randomized Controlled Trial of Self-directed Versus In-Classroom Education of Narrow Band Imaging in Diagnosing Colorectal Polyps Using the NICE Criteria. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2017 Sep 22.
- Vennelaganti S, Vennalaganti P, Mathur S, Singh S, Jamal M, Kanakadandi V, Rai T, Hall M, Gupta N, Nutalapati V, Alsop B, Hornung B, Sharma P. Validation of Probe-based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy (pCLE) Criteria for Diagnosing Colon Polyp Histology. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2017 Sep 6.
- Amrock SM, et al. Health Disparities Among Adult Patients with a Phenotypic Diagnosis of Familial Hypercholesterolemia in the CASCADE-FH Patient Registry. Atherosclerosis. 2017 Oct 6;267:19-26.
Amrock SM (as part ofUS Burden of Disease Collaborators). The State of US Health, 1990-2016:Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors Among US States. JAMA. 2018Apr 10;319(14):1444-1472.
Amrock SM (as part ofGlobal Burden of Disease Collaborators). Global, Regional, and National Burdenof Cardiovascular Diseases for 10 Causes, 1990 to 2015. J Am CollCardiol. 2017 Jul 4;70(1):1-25.
- Liu P, Ranches GP, Gold JA. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole induced circulatory shock in a human immunodeficiency virus uninfected patient: a case report and review. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2018 Nov 20;19(1):76
- Naidoo K, Dookie N, Naidoo K, Yende-Zuma N, Chimukangara B, Bhushan A, Govender D, Gengiah S, Padayatchi N. Recurrent tuberculosis among HIV co-infected patients: A Case Series from KwaZulu-Natal. Infection and Drug Resistance. 2018 11: 1413 –1421.
- O'Donnell M, O'Glasser A. Chest Discomfort—A Real Pain in the Neck. SGIM Forum 41 (12): 8-9.Horton J, Kumthekar A. A Vanishing Entity: Rheumatoid Vasculitis. Am J Med. 2018 Nov;131(11):1310-1313.
- Pittenger B, Sullivan PD, Mansoor AM. Friedreich's Sign. BMJ Case Rep. 2018 Oct 16;2018.
- Scharman C, Mansoor A, O'Glasser A. Occam's Razor Vs. Hickam's Dictum: Headache in an Immunocompromised Patient. SGIM Forum 41 (9): 8-9, 11.
- Bien JY, Hegarty R, Chan B. Anemia in Scurvy. J Gen Intern Med. 2018 Jul 27.
- Haraga J, LeBlanc M, Chiovaro J. Not All It's CrAg-ed Up to Be: Disseminated Cryptococcosis. Am J Med. 2018 Jul 31.
- Ketterer B, Montanaro A, Hunter A. So Much More than Bald and Bloated. J Hosp Med, published online September 28, 2018.
- Keyserling K, Koprowski S. Spur-Cell Anemia. N Engl J Med. 2018 Aug 23;379(8):774.
- Lachowiez C, White K, Spurgeon S. Exaggerated arthropod assault: Eosinophilic dermatosis in a patient with small lymphocytic lymphoma. Clin Case Rep. 2018;00:1–3.
- Kearney MR, et al. Colorectal Cancer-Associated Spontaneous Tumor Lysis Syndrome: a Case Report and Review of the Current Literature. J Gastrointest Cancer. 25 April 2018.
- Kittai AS, Oldham H, Cetnar J, Taylor M. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors in Organ Transplant Patients. J Immunother. 2017 Sep;40(7)277-281.
- LeBlanc MR, Peiris E, Thompson M. Digoxin Toxicity Awareness: When Fatigue isn't what You Think. Arch Med Vol No:9 Iss No:5:5
- Lachowiez C, Deodhar A, Kozin E, Spurgeon S. Obinutuzumab is effective in chronic lymphocytic leukemia and rheumatoid arthritis after rituximab failure: a case report. Am J Case Rep. 2017 May 10;18:516-519.
- Chandrashekar P, Park JY, Al-Hijji MA, et al. Atrial Septostomy to Treat Stiff Left Atrium Syndrome. Circulation Heart Failure. Published online 10 July 2017.
- Liew J, Xu TH, Chu CQ. Synovitis Acne Pustolosis Hyperostosis Osteitis (SAPHO)--Paradoxical Reactions and Different Responses to Tumour Necrosis Factor Inhibitors. Rheumatology (Oxford). Published online 28 July 2017.
- Fine C, Kishel B, O'Glasser AY, Desai SS. A Greener Oregon: Acute Inpatient Delirium. Am J Med. 2017 Apr;130(4):423-425.
- Wunderle KB, McCulley C. Smoke and Mirrors: Moyamoya Syndrome. Am J Med. 7 June 2017.
- Arthurs B, Wunderle KB, Hsu M, Kim S. Invasive Aspergillosis Related to Ibrutinib Therapy for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Respir Med Case Rep. 2017 Mar 20;21:27-29.
- Wunderle K, Kim S, Chiovaro J. Urinothorax: A Rase Case of Pleural Effusion. J Gen Intern Med. 2017 Mar 15.
Liew J, Friedman M, Desai S, et al. Catastrophic Antiphospholipid Syndrome in a Patient with Systemic Sclerosis and Hereditary Angioedema: Case Report and Literature Review. Modern Rheumatology Case Reports. Published online 25 July 2017.
Liew J, Stevens J, Slatore C. Refractory Hypoxemiain a Patient with Submassive Pulmonary Embolism and an Intracardiac Shunt: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Perm J 2018;22:17-061.
Pope B, O'Glasser AY. Cation Got Your Tongue?:A Curious Case of Tetany. SGIM Forum 2017;40(9).
Chandrashekar P. Sex and Gender Differences in Cardiovascular Disease, 2018. In: Vasan R., Sawyer, D.(eds.) The Encyclopedia of Cardiovascular Research and Medicine, vol., pp. 351-367