Schedules and Conferences
Example Schedules for Years 1 and 2
- 5-6 months of acute nephrology consult service
- 2-3 months of ESRD consult service
- 2 months of transplant kidney medicine (non-consecutive)
- 2 months of ambulatory experience (non-consecutive)
- 1-3 months of acute nephrology consult service
- 1-3 months of ESRD consult service
- 6-9 months of dedicated research, scholarship, and clinical electives
The 1st-year ambulatory experiences can include further outpatient transplant exposure (adult and pediatric), observing peritoneal dialysis patient trainings, education in nutrition, technical dialysis training about how dialysis is delivered, urology stone clinics, vascular surgery and interventional radiology exposure, interdisciplinary vascular care conferences, and pediatric nephrology exposure.
Educational Conferences for Fellows:
- Clinical case conference - a weekly conference where fellows on consult services present recent cases for discussion on a rotating basis.
- Journal clubs - a weekly conference where reviews of current and past papers are presented by fellows and faculty. Fellows present once a year.
- Research conference - a weekly conference given by fellows and faculty about their research projects. Clinical track fellows present at the end of their second year.
- Pathology conference - a monthly fellow-centered conference designed to prepare trainees to utilize renal pathology in their practice.
National Conferences for Fellows:
- National Kidney Foundation annual meeting (1st year).
- American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week (2nd and 3rd years).
- Funding (via an educational endowment) exists for 2nd-year fellows to attend other conferences (such as the Nephrology Business Leadership University, Home Dialysis University, KIDNEYcon, CRRT conferences, and more).