Renee K. Dversdal, MD, FACP
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Director, OHSU Point of Care Ultrasound
Director of Simulation Education, IM Residency Program
Clinical & Medicine Teaching Hospitalist Services
MD: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2009
BA: Willamette University, Biology and Chemistry Minor, Salem, OR, 2002
Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 2012
Internship: Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 2010
Clinical & Research Interests:
- Point of Care Ultrasound
- Simulation in Medical Education
- Patient Decision Aids/Education Tools in Advanced Care Planning
Teaching & CME Presentations:
- General Medicine Ultrasound Fellowship Director
- National ACP meeting, ultrasound precourse and lectures
- Society of Hospital Medicine, ultrasound precourse and lectures
- NW Hospital Medicine Conference, ultrasound precourse
- World Congress of Ultrasound in Medical Education
Service & Committees:
- Committee on Academic Policy
- Internal Medicine Residency Curriculum Committee
- Board Member for the Society of Ultrasound in Medical Education
- American College of Physicians Clinical Skills Committee
- Dversdal R, Wu T. Ultrasound for Primary Care Practitioners and Emergency Medicine Physicians. In: Advanced Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasond. Milas M, ed. Springer Verlag. 2017.
- Clay RD, Lee EC, Kurtzman MF, Dversdal RK. Teaching the Intern to See: Effectiveness of a 1-day Workshop in Bedside Ultrasound for Internal Medicine Residents. Crit Ultrasound J. 2016 Dec;8(1):11.
- March CA, Scholl G, Dversdal RK, Richards M, Wilson LM, Mohan V, Gold JA. Use of Electonic Health Record Simulation to Understand the Accuracy of Intern Progress Notes. J Grad Med Educ. 2016 May;8(2):237-40.
- Wagner M, Dversdal R, Blaivas M. Point-of-Care Ultrasonography: A How-To for the Primary Care Provider. Consultant 360. 2016;56(1):28-39.
- El-Jawahri A1, Mitchell SL, Paasche-Orlow MK, Temel JS, Jackson VA, Rutledge RR, Parikh M, Davis AD, Gillick MR, Barry MJ, Lopez L, Walker-Corkery ES, Chang Y, Finn K, Coley C, Volandes AE. A Randomized Controlled Trial of a CPR and Intubation Video Decision Support Tool for Hospitalized Patients. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Aug;30(8):1071-80.
- Rutledge RK. A Piece of My Mind. Hating Hope. JAMA 2013 Jan 23;309(4):353-4.
- Rutledge RK, Keen EC. Images in clinical Medicine. Whooping Cough in an Adult. N Engl J Med. 2012 Jun 21;366(25):e39.
- Rutledge R. Utilizing Available Technology to Enhance Patient Knowledge and Investment. NEJM 200th Anniversary Essay Content, winner, March 2012.
- Piro K, Schutzer C, Erickson C, Dversdal R. A Practical Roadmap to Create an Internal Medicine Ultrasound Fellowship. OHSU Symposium on Education Excellence, April 2017.
- Richards M, Iossi K, Dversdal R. Creating an Intensive Learning Experience for Residents Using Active Educational Techniques. NW Regional SGIM meeting, February 2015. Winner, best clinical innovations Poster.
Renee Dversdal, MD, FACP, CHSE is a clinical and teaching hospitalist at Oregon Health & Science University. Her ultrasound obsession started during her residency at Massachusetts General Hospital and has continued to grow since returning to OHSU in 2012. As the Director of OHSU's Point of Care Ultrasound, she works in ultrasound education across the medical education spectrum from MD/NP/PA students to residents/fellows & faculty from OHSU & abroad. As of July 2016 she also co-directs the General Medicine Ultrasound Fellowship, which is the first of its kind on the West Coast. She is active nationally as a Board Memberfor the Society for Ultrasound in Medical Education, and a member of theAmerican College of Physicians Clinical Skills Committee.
- 2017 ACP Hospitalist "POCUS Catches On"
Awards and Honors:
- 2017 Oregon ACP Early Career Physician Award