Alan J. Hunter, MD, FACP
Professor of Medicine
Head of Division of Hospital Medicine
Director of Medicine Hospitalist Services
Associate Residency Program Director
Medicine Teaching Service
MD: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock AR, 1991
BA: University of Michigan, Economics, Ann Arbor, MI, 1982
Chief Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR 1995
Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1994
Internship: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock AR, 1992
History of Medicine
Representative Publications (Non-Education):
- O'Glasser AY, Taylor CC, Hunter AJ. Beyond the Algorithm: Implementation of a Hospitalist-led Pre-operative Clinic Assessment Before Cardiac Surgery. Perioperative Care and Operating Room Management 8(2017):1-4.
- Rudy CC, Ballard C, Broberg C, Hunter AJ. Platypnea-Orthodeoxia Syndrome: A Case of Chronic Paroxysmal Hypoxemia. J Gen Intern Med. 2017 Jan;32(1)"127-130.
- Hunter AJ, Steinhardt DJ. Pneumocystis Jirovecii Presenting as Nodular Pulmonary Opacities. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Jul;31(7):814.
- Xie Y, Pope BA, Hunter AJ. Cotton Fever: Does the Patient Know Best? J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Apr;31(4):442-4.
- Miyashita J, Shimada T, Hunter A, Kamiya T. The impact of hyponatremia and the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis in elderly patients with aspiration pneumonia: a retrospective study. J Hosp Med. 2012 Jul-Aug;7(6):464-9.
- Halvorson S, Ricker MA, Barker AF, Patton PE, Harrison RA and Hunter AJ. Thoracic endometriosis unmasked by ovarian hyperstimulation for in vitro fertilization. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 May;27(5):603-7.
- Halvorson S, Cedfeldt AC and Hunter AJ. Fulminant, Non-Antibiotic Associated Clostridium difficile Colitis Following Salmonella Gastroenteritis. J Gen Intern Med. 2011;26:95-97.
- Lo J, Lo J, Hunter AJ, “String of Pearls”. (Image & Vignette). J Hospital Medicine 2008;3(3):272-273.
- Lo JO, Harrison RA, Hunter AJ; Syphilitic Hepatitis Resulting In Fulminant Hepatic Failure Requiring Liver Transplantation. J Infection 2007;54(3):e115-17.
- Harrison RA, Vu T, Hunter AJ; Wernicke's Encephalopathy in a Patient with Schizophrenia. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21(12):C8-C11.
Representative Publications (Education):
- 2011 Harrison R, Hunter AJ, Sharpe B, Auerbach AD. Survey of U.S academic hospitalist leaders about mentorship and academic activities in hospitalist groups. J Hosp Med. Accepted for publication Apr 2010. J Hosp Med. 2011;6:5–9. (Lead paper; with linked Editorial by Wiese & Centor; Interviewed & quoted in SHM The Hospitalist, Jan 19, 2011).
- 2009 Smith MEB, Desai SS, Allen ES, Saha S, Hunter AJ. Impact of Shorter Inpatient Faculty Teaching. Rotations on Resident Learning Experience. The American Journal of Medicine, 2009;122(1): 96-100.
- 2008 Eckstrom E, Desai SS, Hunter AJ, Allen ES, Tanner CE, Lucas LM, Joseph CL, Ririe MR, Doak MN, Humphrey LL, Bowen JL., Aiming to Improve Care of Older Adults: An Innovative Faculty Development Workshop. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jul;23(7):1053-6.
- 2006 Haney EM, Nicolaidis C, Hunter A, Chan BKS, Cooney TG, Bowen JL; Relationship Between Resident Workload and Self-perceived Learning on Inpatient Medicine Wards: A Longitudinal Study. BMC Medical Education. 2006, 6:35 (06 Jul 2006) May 2006.
- 2004 Hunter AJ, Desai SS, Harrison RA, Chan BCK; Medical Student Evaluation of the Quality of Hospitalist and Non-Hospitalist Teaching Faculty on Inpatient Medicine Rotations. Academic Medicine. 79 (1):78-82, 2004.