Adult MSK MRI Protocols
For all contrasted studies for infection or osteomyelitis:1. Run 3 planes post without fat sat, and post AX T1 FS.
2. Start exam with AX T1 non-fat sat sequences in case the exam is terminated early for difficult patients.
If hardware is present in the area of interest:
1. Try to assess beforehand whether or not hardware will interfere with protocol. Hardware doesn't necessarily mean you have to change the protocol. If available, Check an X-ray. You may be able to decide before hand (discuss with radiologist if needed)
2. Try a fat-sat mid-TE sequence- is there too much susceptibility artifact and/or inhomogeneous fat suppression? (discuss with radiologist if needed)
3. If the protocol needs to be modified:
- Perform on 1.5T
- Increase Bandwidth if possible
- Run non-fat-sat mid-TE sequences or STIR instead of fat-sat mid-TE
- If post-contrast, do non-fat-sat T1 instead of fat-sat T1
All MSK protocols for pediatric patients are on the Pediatric Protocol page.
ELBOW ARTHROGRAM WO
FINGER (not thumb) WO or W/WO
HAND RHEUMATOLOGY W/WO (MCP thru DIP)
SHOULDER ROUTINE WO
SHOULDER ARTHROGRAM WO
THUMB WO or W/WO
WRIST ARTHROGRAM WO
WRIST RHEUMATOLOGY (wrist thru MCP)