1. When do classes meet?

Our Masters of Science in Healthcare Management, Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management, and the OHSU-PSU Joint MBA in Healthcare Management programs are offered in a hybrid format. Courses typically have two face-to-face meeting, one near the beginning of the term and the other near the end of the term. Depending on the class the student signs up for you can expect to attend class on campus two Friday evenings in the term or two Saturdays a term. The rest of the classes will be taught in an online environment. Please check the current 'Schedule of Classes' page for more specifics.

2. Can I be a student if I do not live near Portland, Oregon?

Yes. Our courses are designed so that working students are able to come into Portland only twice per term for classes. The rest of the coursework is completed in an online environment. That way students have the best of both worlds; personal interaction with other students and faculty, and an online environment where they are able to complete coursework at a distance.

3. What amount of homework hours outside of class will be expected?

Students should plan on a minimum of 10-12 hours per week of outside homework study for each 4 credit class.

4. Will I need to order my books as soon as I register?

Yes. You will want to have your textbooks before the term begin.  Please visit the 'Schedule of Classes' page for links to course outlines that include textbook requirements.

5. Do I have to be admitted/matriculated into the degree program to take a class?

No. We recommend that students take a couple of courses before matriculating to determine if this schedule works for them in both their professional and private lives. Once the decision is made, the matriculation process can begin while taking classes.  For more information, please visit the 'Register for Classes' page.

6. What happens if I miss a class meeting?

Since there are only 2 class meetings per term, missing class or arriving late is significant. If you miss an entire class residency, you miss up to 20% of course content. When an unavoidable situation arises, please contact your instructor in advance if possible, to discuss potential consequences.

7. How long does it take to graduate?

Master of Science in Healthcare Management

Students taking two courses per quarter, four quarters per year, will graduate in two years. Students taking one course per quarter will graduate in four years.

Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management

Students taking one class per term will finish the program in six quarters. Students taking two classes per term will finish the program in 3 quarters.

8. Is this an accredited degree?

All of our programs in the M.S. in Healthcare Management degree program and the Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management are fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education.  The MBA carries additional professional accreditation through the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.

9. Are Advisors available to help me plan?

Academic advisors are available to meet and discuss your career goals and to assist you in selecting the best courses to accomplish those goals. For an academic advising session, please contact Jessica Walter at 503-346-0369.

10.What kind of financial aid is available?

Students pursuing the MS or MBA may be eligible for federal financial aid. The financial aid office can advise you on your eligibility for student loans. Check their website for more information, or contact: Financial Aid Office Oregon Health & Science University 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road Mailcode: L109A Portland, OR 97239-3098 (503) 494-8249 (800) 775-5460

11. Are these programs eligible for international students in a visa status?

The Division of Management degree programs and certificate are not eligible for international visas because they are on a part-time only basis, therefore, we cannot accept applicants on F-1 or J-1 student visas.