Dietetic Internship Graduate Certificate Program (DI) has roots dating back
over 80 years, as one of the first health professional training programs
created at OHSU. From the first graduate in 1931, the program has grown in size
and changed sponsorship. It began with Multnomah County Hospital at its inception.
When the county and state hospitals merged in the 1970s, the program continued
under the sponsorship of the University of Oregon Medical School Hospital and
Clinics. By the mid-80s the program was co-sponsored by OHSU and the Portland
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, a collaboration which lasted 15 years. In
2002, the program returned to complete sponsorship by OHSU. Over the years, the
number of students admitted to the program steadily increased, from one to four
students annually to ten students in the 1960s and 1970s, and to 12 in the
1980s. In the mid-90s with the introduction of distance sites, the program grew
to 16, then 19, and finally up to 23 students. The major impetus for this
growth was the need to meet increased local, state, regional, and national
needs for community/public health, clinical, and administrative dietitians.
In 2003, the Graduate Programs in Human Nutrition expanded and began to offer a thesis-based Master of Science in
Clinical Nutrition. In 2016, the Master of Science was renamed to a Master of Science in Human Nutrition, and in 2017, the program received approval to offer the Master of Science with a thesis or non-thesis option.