Vision and Mission
A vision for the future
As the state of Oregon’s only public health and research university, OHSU is a unique resource for Oregonians and the place where healing, teaching and discovery come together. We train the health care professionals that Oregon communities need. We provide care to those with the most difficult health challenges. And our faculty works every day to come up with new discoveries that help save lives.
A look over the horizon
With the world changing rapidly around us, OHSU created a strategic plan in 2007 to look over the horizon and establish a road map for 2020. OHSU’s strategic plan, revisited in 2013, sets a big goal for how to best serve Oregonians. We want to help make Oregon a national leader in health and science innovation to improve the health and well-being of all Oregonians. It’s a big goal – but we think we can get there. Here are a few of the steps along the way:
- Help meet workforce shortages in the health and science professions so that Oregonians can find a healthcare provider when they need one.
- Through leading edge research made possible by the Oregon Opportunity, find the next generation of treatments and cures to improve the quality of healthcare that Oregonians receive.
- Help develop policy and care delivery solutions that make it possible for all Oregonians to have access to high-quality healthcare.
- Reinvent health education so that health care providers, scientists and engineers train together to better prepare them to work together in the community.
- Partner with communities, industry, other colleges and universities, and private citizens to develop community-based solutions to community problems.
As part of its multifaceted public mission, OHSU strives for excellence in education, research and scholarship, clinical practice and community service. Through its dynamic interdisciplinary environment, OHSU stimulates the spirit of inquiry, initiative, and cooperation among students, faculty and staff.
Setting the example for integrity, compassion and leadership, OHSU strives to:
- Educate tomorrow’s health professionals, scientists, engineers and managers in top-tier programs that prepare them for a lifetime of learning, leadership and contribution.
- Explore new basic, clinical and applied research frontiers in health and biomedical sciences, environmental and biomedical engineering and information sciences, and translate these discoveries, wherever possible, into applications in the health and commercial sectors.
- Deliver excellence in health care, emphasizing the creation and implementation of new knowledge and cutting-edge technologies.
- Lead and advocate for programs that improve health for all Oregonians, and extend OHSU’s education, research and healthcare missions through community service, partnerships and outreach.
Transparency is the foundation on which trust grows and develops, and as such is essential to everything we do — including collaboration, a cornerstone of OHSU strategy. Transparency builds credibility — and, over time, a sense of institutional integrity — by creating clarity around key facts in many areas from clinical outcomes to financial and other performance data. This can be uncomfortable because transparency can also reveal areas of vulnerability, but it is necessary to inspire public trust, to meet the needs of those we serve, and to fulfill our missions. There is no trust without transparency.
The first goal of Vision 2020 captures the centrality of diversity to OHSU values and strategy: “Be a great organization, diverse in people and ideas.” Patients should be able to see providers who understand and can meet their diverse needs — providers who appreciate and respect differences, whether ethnic background, race, language, religion, abilities, sexual orientation or culture. Students learn best in a diverse educational environment, from mentors with varied backgrounds and experiences, and are thus better equipped to treat the increasingly diverse patient population. In the research mission, diversity promotes creativity. Innovation happens when you bring together people with a wide variety of backgrounds and ideas. Embracing diversity is the right thing to do, and the smart thing to do as well.
Find out more about Diversity at OHSU.
As Oregon’s only comprehensive academic health center, OHSU is and should be the standard bearer for quality. We are looked to by the community — and by extension the nation and the world — to establish the benchmarks for quality and to model behavior that adheres to those standards. Our commitment to quality extends throughout the institution. We embrace the pursuit of quality in the broadest possible sense — a commitment to excellence in our mission areas and integrity in our behavior.
As a mission-based organization with a vision to improve the health and wellbeing of Oregonians, OHSU exists to serve others. To be effective, we need to be approachable and accommodating — we must offer comfort and reassurance and uphold the confidence of those we serve. This is true of internal clients, collaborators and stakeholders as well as patients, external partners, community leaders and the general public. We must always remember that the people we serve do not experience OHSU as an institution, but as a person — whether in a patient ward, on a physician consult line, through research collaboration or navigating our complex campus. OHSU’s reputation is made and re-made, every day, one encounter at a time.