OHSU offers free health screenings on World Diabetes Day, Nov. 14
10/19/11 Portland, Ore.
The following Saturday, Nov. 19, OHSU will host the fourth annual Pacific NW Diabetes Summit
Oregon Health & Science University Harold Schnitzer Diabetes Health Center is sponsoring a free health fair to promote diabetes education and prevention on World Diabetes Day, Nov. 14. The following Saturday, Nov. 19, the center is hosting the Pacific Northwest Diabetes Summit, where local and national experts will share the latest information on prevention and treatment in the management of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. The summit is open to everyone.
Free Health Screenings — Monday, Nov. 14, from noon to 4:30 p.m.
Pacific NW Diabetes Health Summit — Saturday, Nov. 19, from noon to 5 p.m.
OHSU Center for Health & Healing, 3303 S.W. Bond Ave., Portland, Ore. 97239
Monday, Nov. 14
OHSU Free Health Screenings/World Diabetes Day
OHSU cardiovascular medicine experts will measure:
- Blood glucose
- BMI (body mass index)
- Blood pressure
* Nurses and physicians will be on hand for consults on test results.
- Kendall Simmons, a Superbowl XL champion and former Pittsburgh Steeler, will explain how he tackled Type 1 diabetes.
- Certified diabetes educators from NovoNordisk will discuss carbohydrate counting and food exchanges.
- March wellness representatives will demonstrate their Medical Exercise Program.
Saturday, Nov. 19
2011 Pacific Northwest Diabetes Summit
The summit is open to health care professionals, public health leaders, health plan and health system administrators, employer groups, school administrators, teachers, students, patients and their family members.
- Movin’ Out, Movin’ On: Diabetes After Childhood
- Exercise and Type 1 diabetes
- Sex, Pregnancy and Parenting With Diabetes
- "Healthy Kids" -- Pediatric Obesity
- Treatments for Type 2 Diabetes
- Technology — The Latest in Pumps, Sensors for Type 1
- Cooking Tips for Type 2
- Packing Your Lunch for School, Work or Eating out — Carb Counting
The cost is $30 for one person; $50 for 2; $70 for 3; and $80 for 4. See the full program and register.