Thank you for your interest in visiting or volunteering at OHSU! We register more than 4,000 volunteers annually, each of whom has self-selected where he or she would like to be at OHSU.
Tip: The average time to register is 6-8 weeks. This can vary based on several factors (e.g., background check timeline, visitor/volunteer responsiveness and Occupational Health clearance.). Please plan accordingly.
Are you eligible?
- Are you at least 16 years of age?
- Are you able to complete all OHSU OVV compliance processes (including a clear background check)?
Where do you want to visit or volunteer?
Not sure? Apply for and be accepted into an open opportunity.
Have you secured your opportunity and know who your supervisor is going to be?
If yes, you are ready to start registration!
A. What is your role/classification going to be?
- Are you getting school credit for your time?
Complete the Non-OHSU Intern registration form
- Are you gaining experience and learning new skills (but not getting academic credit)?
Complete the Experiential Volunteer registration form
- Are you here purely with altruistic intent to contribute to OHSU's mission(s)?
Complete the Altruistic Volunteer registration form
- Are you a professional contributing those skills to OHSU's mission(s) with altruistic intent?
Complete the Skilled Volunteer registration form
- Are you a professional academic with a doctorate degree looking to collaborate with OHSU professionals?
Complete the Visiting Scholar registration form
- Are you a professional medical professional looking to collaborate with OHSU professionals?
Complete the Visiting Practitioner registration form
Not sure? Contact your hosting site/supervisor, or OVV@ohsu.edu
*Are you international? If you are here on a visa, your hosting site will also want to reach out to the Office of International Affairs: OIA@ohsu.edu
B. Watch for an e-mail from OVV and Advanced Reporting, our background check vendor, to complete your background check
Behind the scenes:
- Simultaneously, your supervisor/hosting site should submit a Visitor/Volunteer Information Form (VIF) to OVV@ohsu.edu
- OVV will process your online registration form and the VIF, and initiate your background check, request computer access for you, as well as an external employee ID number (required for accessing some OHSU electronic systems). *Please note that if you are an International visitor or are here on a visa, extra time may be needed.
Tip: Anticipate an approximate 1 week turn around time to process and approve these forms. Delayed background checks can delay OVV turn around times.
Training, paperwork and compliances
- You will be asked to complete at least two read and sign documents, online Compass training, and orientation
- Depending on your assignment, you may also need medical clearance through Occupational Health (instructions will be provided to you)
Tip 1: Medical clearance (if required) can take time to process. We suggest taking care of medical clearance first and while that is being processed, complete the online training and submission of signed documents.
Tip 2: In a hurry to begin? OVV does not received automated messages when Compass training or Occupational Health requirements are complete - if you let us know as soon as you complete those, your activation will happen more quickly.
Submit all completed Step 2 materials together to OVV@ohsu.edu
Once you have completed all requirements including medical clearance, all Compass training and signed paperwork, you will receive an email notification that you are now cleared to begin your assignment. This email is an "activation" email. This email includes details on your assignment end date, requirement to log hours weekly (not applicable to Visiting Scholars or Practitioners) and has your ID badge form attached.
You will print and sign the badge form and take it to the ID Badge Office located in the Transportation Office here at OHSU.
We encourage you to reach out to us at any point during your time here with questions or for assistance.