You are the most important member of your care team. You need to be actively involved in your care by attending clinic appointments, getting your labs drawn, communicating with members of your care team and understanding how to take care of your new liver.
To help care for your liver, you will need to:
- Take medications as directed, and ask your doctor before taking any other medications, including over-the-counter medications and dietary supplements.
- Eat a healthy diet, exercise, not smoke cigarettes and not drink alcohol.
- Contact your doctor if you are feeling ill.
- Have your labs drawn as directed by your doctor, including any additional testing.
- Follow lifting, walking, showering and activity restrictions.
- Refrain from driving until you are no longer taking narcotics and are down to 10mg of prednisone per day.
At the end of 2-3 months you will return to your local provider for care. The transplant team will continue to monitor your liver function, and medication levels through routine lab work. We will work with your local provider to help manage your care. You will have regular follow-up visits during the first year post transplant and then annually at for the first five years, and then as needed every five years.