Reporting to OHSU

Reporting to AAEO

The decision to report an experience with sexual misconduct can be a difficult one. CAP advocates are here to listen and to support you with your decision. Whatever reporting route you choose, you do not have to report alone, we can be there with you and support you when you report.  One of your options is to report your experience to the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) department. This is a non-confidential option. There are multiple options for reporting to AAEO: 

  1. If you are not sure you want to report or have questions about reporting you can talk with the Title IX Coordinator first over the phone (503-494-0258). However, please be aware that AAEO is not confidential and depending on what you disclose to them they may need to take some sort of action. If these are concerns for you, you always have the option of calling CAP. We can offer a confidential space to talk through your concerns and answer your questions.  

  1. You may complete and submit the official AAEO report form online on the AAEO website or you can download the form, fill it out and send it back to AAEO ( 

  1. Integrity - Anonymous complaints about Title IX violations may be made through OHSU Integrity’s 24/7 toll-free hotline (877-733-8313) or online.  

If your concern presents a safety risk to the OHSU community or is an alleged violation of OHSU policy, AAEO will initiate an investigation, or will discuss your other options for either reporting or seeking support.  An AAEO investigator will reach out to schedule an interview with you in order to gather facts about the case. You have the option to bring a support person with you to this interview, and you can also have an advocate from CAP there with you as well. AAEO can coordinate with CAP to ensure your right to an advocate is upheld.  

AAEO will conduct a thorough review of the case. AAEO tries to complete investigations as soon as possible, but the process can be longer depending on the complexity of the situation.  

The person(s) who harmed you will be notified of the report as they have a legal right to know what they are being accused of, they are referred to as the respondent(s) within the AAEO process. Both yourself and the respondent(s) will be given the chance to provide any relevant information or evidence in the case, as well as to provide names of any witnesses. AAEO will interview all relevant witnesses and gather any evidence brought forward by any party.  

After the investigation has been completed, you will be informed of the outcome. AAEO is not the entity that determines what corrective measures are put in place and any disciplinary measures are kept confidential. Any corrective measures or recommendations will be provided to the individuals/departments responsible for implementing these measures. These individuals/departments will then inform AAEO of the status or progress in carrying out the corrective action. No matter what the individuals/departments responsible for implementing corrective measures decide to do, AAEO will help implement supportive remedies to ensure you are able to have access to school or work free from any form of discrimination and or harassment moving forward.

Reporting to Public Safety

OHSU Public Safety is a state-authorized police department.  Making a report to OHSU’s department of Public Safety is the same as reporting to a local government police department. Reports of sexual assault or domestic violence and or stalking are taken seriously. If you choose to report your experience to Public Safety, here is what to expect: 

You will be contacted by an OHSU Police officer, and you can choose to tell them about your experience. This will be your official statement. You have a right to be accompanied by a personal representative, any person who is not a suspect in, or a party or witness to, the crime. CAP is happy to accompany you to provide support and advocacy services during the interview process. Based on the information from you, the officer will try to determine these main points: 

  • Was a crime committed? 

  • If so, do you want to move forward with the process of an investigation and or prosecution? 

  • Is there a continual or ongoing threat? 

When a crime is initially reported to law enforcement, an officer will investigate to find out what happened. An arrest may be made during this time, or OHSU Public Safety may be able to facilitate an OHSU no-contact order during this time to help increase your safety while at OHSU. The officer will gather evidence and write a report that may be sent to the district attorney's office with a type of charge indicated on the report. It is important to note that police investigations do not always lead to prosecution of the person(s) accused of committing the offense. The District Attorney is the one who ultimately decides whether to proceed with prosecution and trial. The police report is evaluated to determine if there is enough evidence to file charges. At that time one of three things will occur: 

  • No charges are filed due to lack of evidence; or 

  • Further investigation is required and law enforcement is asked to obtain the information; or 

  • Charges are filed in a document called an information or complaint. 

You can find the status of the investigation or request a copy of a police report by calling the police department you reported to, whether that is OHSU’s Public Safety (503-494-4444) or another police jurisdiction.  

If the DA does not file charges you can request a meeting to learn why. CAP is able to accompany you to that meeting to provide support.  

If the DA files charges, prosecution begins. For more information about the process after this stage you can read through the Case Companion website created by Multnomah County.  

To file a report with the Department of Public Safety, call 503-494-4444 (for emergencies) or 503-494-7744 (for non-emergencies).