Our residents come from medical schools across the country and around the world.
Applications are accepted only through AAMC's Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). No paper applications will be accepted.
Only complete applications submitted through the ERAS system by November 1 will be considered for the following academic year. Please contact your dean's office for further information on the electronic application process.
A completed application consists of seven elements:
- An ERAS application
- A personal photograph
- A personal statement
- A dean's letter with a transcript
- Two letters of recommendation (more may be submitted, but only two are required)
- Official USMLE scores, Part I (minimum score 220). We do not accept scores from other types of exams.
- If you have had previous postgraduate training, send letters of recommendation from the program director(s) of your first postgraduate year and any subsequent residency training.
OHSU accepts international medical graduates, but they must have an Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate before they will be appointed. All new residents and fellows must be eligible to work in the United States.
If you need basic information about the ECFMG or the NRMP, you may call or write to the offices listed below.
Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
3624 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2685
National Residency Matching Program
2450 N Street NW, Suite 201
Washington, DC 20037-1141
The Selection Committee will review applications and determine which applicants will be interviewed. Interviews will take place on Monday mornings beginning in October and continue through December. If you are selected, you will be contacted via email. Arrangements will then be made for you to visit OHSU. The ERAS system will notify you as we download your information into our files.
A typical interview would include:
- Night before get-together with residents
- Grand Rounds
- Resident Conference
- Interviews with faculty and residents
- Lunch with faculty and residents
- Optional tour of the facilities
Interviews are completed by 12:30 p.m. and applicants can leave at that point (if necessary), or stay for lunch and a tour.
For further information, contact us:
The Department of Surgery accepts visiting residents on a case-by-case basis and upon agreement by the sponsoring OHSU faculty member. The resident must currently be in good standing in an ACGME-accredited residency program to be eligible.
For further information, email our Residency Coordinator, or call 503 494-7344.