To improve the academic performance and retention of AI/AN medical and Physician Assistant students at OHSU:
- provide resources for AI/AN medical and PA students for the United States Medical Licensing Exam or Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam
- support a sub-internship experience prior to residency or job interviews
- social and cultural programming for AI/AN learners to engage in throughout the academic year
- tribal health electives in urban and tribal reservation locations
- provide opportunity to attend AI/AN-specific conferences in health and science
Native American Health Pathway:
This has been created for a cohort of medical and PA students interested in AI/AN health careers. The pathway will dive deeper into AI/AN health topics and have particular requirements of research activity with the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board, clinical rotations in two tribal health clinics, community service, and practicums in AI/AN traditional medicine and life ways.
AI/AN faculty are the most under-represented minority in academic health centers. Given the important role that this group plays in training the future health care workforce, we support the professional development and academic success of these unique faculty members.
There are four major aspects of this program:
- Provide consistent OHSU representation at Indigenous-specific health conferences regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Provide funding and support to School of Medicine faculty or residents submitting conference session proposals covering AI/AN health topics or academic professional development topics.
- Increase awareness among all School of Medicine departments of AI/AN faculty prospects and coordinate recruitment efforts across campus.
- Conduct an annual AI/AN faculty development conference to enhance the academic success among the nation’s current and future AI/AN health professions faculty. This conference will provide instruction in key professional competencies leading to academic success, address unique cultural considerations for AI/AN faculty and foster networking and enhanced ongoing career support for AI/AN faculty.