The OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program leadership is comprised of faculty from both the OHSU Hospital and the Portland VA Medical Center. Program leadership currently consists of:
- Program Director - Dr. Sima Desai
- Vice Chair for Education - Dr. Thomas Cooney
- Associate Program Directors
- Dr. Erin Bonura, Curriculum
- Dr. Joe Chiovaro, Education and Workshops
- Dr. Alan Hunter, Scholarship
- Dr. Katie Iossi, Ambulatory Education/Primary Care
- Dr. Claire Zeigler, Global Health
- Assistant Program Directors
- Dr. Kyle Kent, Curriculum
- Dr. Avital O'Glasser, Social Media and Scholarship
- Dr. Christopher Terndrup, Ambulatory Medicine
- Dr. Robin Tittle, Global Health
- Dr. Shona Hunsaker, Quality Improvement/Patient Safety
- Chief Residents
- Dr. Shahana Baig-Lewis
- Dr. Kimberly Chesteen
- Dr. Patricia Liu
- Dr. Riana Wurzburger
The program leadership meets weekly to discuss any operational or educational issues and make program changes and improvements when necessary. Program Directors and Chief Residents teach on the General Medicine Wards at OHSU Hospital and the Portland VA Medical Center and at various conferences and sessions.
Each resident is linked to an Associate Program Director during their training in our program. Residents meet with their core Program Director bi-annually to review their educational progress and plan out their career pathway.
Education Office Staff
Education Program Manager
Residency Program Technician (Ambulatory)
Jessica De Atley
Residency Program Technician
Student Program Technician
Our current housestaff originate from all geographical areas of the United States and beyond. We average 100 housestaff per year (34 per class).
During a resident's 2nd and 3rd years they can choose to participate in the Primary Care Track or Global Health Track (or both). Residents may "track" in and out of primary care and global health if their desired career pathway changes.
Recent Resident Graduate Destinations
Where have past graduates from the OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program gone? We have compiled a list of recent graduates and their career or educational destinations after residency. Destinations are divided into four categories: Fellowship, Hospitalist, Primary Care, Other.
2019-20 Housestaff Participate in Habitat for Humanity Project
Housestaff volunteers (in no particular order): Scott Warner, Jon Judkins, Ashley Paquin, Max Rusek, Simone Dekker, Sierra Germeyan, Ali Wiggins, Andrew Balster, and Mike Kiefer