Monica Sikka, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy (OPAT) Medical Director
Division of Infectious Diseases, OHSU
M.D., University of Tennessee College of Medicine, 2003
Internal Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2006
Infectious Diseases, Rush University Medical Center, 2009
American Board of Internal Medicine, 2006, 2016
American Board of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases, 2009
Dr. Sikka was born and raised in East Tennessee. She received her medical degree from the University of Tennessee College Of Medicine in 2003 and then moved to Chicago for the rest of her medical training. In 2006, she completed her Internal Medicine residency at the University of Illinois at Chicago and in 2009, she completed her Infectious Diseases fellowship at Rush University Medical Center. She is board certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases.
Dr. Sikka left the Midwest and came to OHSU in 2017 where she serves as the medical director of the Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy (OPAT) program. She is interested in bone and joint infections, treatment of infections in patients with substance use disorder, caring for HIV patients and helping to reduce healthcare associated infections. She enjoys teaching medical students, residents, and fellows.
In her spare time, Dr. Sikka enjoys exploring the Pacific Northwest with her husband and son. They love traveling, finding great food, being outdoors, and playing board games.
- Bleasdale SC, Sikka MK, Moritz DC, Frizen-Pedicini C, Stiehl E, Brosseau LM, Jones RM; Experience of Chicagoland acute care hospitals in preparing for Ebola virus disease 2014-2015, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 2019 Jul; 16:8, 582-591. DOI: 10.1080/15459624.2019.1628966.
- Wenzler E, Bleasdale SC, Sikka M, Bunnell KL, Finnemeyer M, Rosenkranz SL, Danziger LH, Rodvold KA; Antibacterial Resistance Leadership Group. Phase I Study to Evaluate the Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Tolerability of Two Dosing Regimens of Oral Fosfomycin Tromethamine in Healthy Adult Participants, Antimicrobial Agents Chemother, 2018 Jul 27; 62 (8).
- Bunnell KL, Pai, MP, Sikka M, Bleasdale, S, Wenzler E, Danziger LH, Rodvold KA. Pharmacokinectics of Telavancin at Fixed Doses in Normal-Body-Weight and Obese (Classes I, II, and III, Adult Subjects. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 2018, April, 62 (4) 1-12.
- Su UM, Phan L, Edmwande O, Weber R, Bleasdale SC, Brosseau LM, Fritzen-Pedicini C, Sikka M, Jones RM; CKC Prevention Epicenters Program. Contact Patterns during cleaning of vomitus: A simulation study. Am J Infec Control; 2017 Dec 1; 45 (12): 1312-1317.
- Weaver FM, Trick WE, Evans CT, Lin MY, Adams W, Pho MT, Bleasdale SC, Mullane KM, Johnson S, Sikka MK, Peterson LR, Solomonides AE, Gerding DN. The Impact of Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection on Patients' Prevention Behaviors. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017 Sep 26:1-7. doi: 10.1017/ice.2017.208. PubMed PMID: 28946934.
- Su YM, Phan L, Edomwande O, Weber R, Bleasdale SC, Brosseau LM, Fritzen-Pedicini C, Sikka M, Jones RM;CDC Prevention Epicenters Program.. Contact patterns during cleaning of vomitus: A simulation study. Am J Infect Control. 2017 Aug 22. pii: S0196-6553(17)30858-1. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2017.07.005. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28844383.
- Means L, Bleasdale S, Sikka M, Gross AE. Predictors of Hospital Readmission in Patients Receiving Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy. Pharmacotherapy. 2016 Aug;36(8):934-9. doi: 10.1002/phar.1799. Epub 2016 Jul 29. PubMed PMID: 27393717.
- Hayden MK, Lin MY, Lolans K, Weiner S, Blom D, Moore NM, Fogg L, Henry D, Lyles R, Thurlow C, Sikka M, Hines D, Weinstein RA;Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Epicenters Program.. Prevention of colonization and infection by Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing enterobacteriaceae in long-term acute-care hospitals. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Apr 15;60(8):1153-61. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciu1173. Epub 2014 Dec 23. PubMed PMID: 25537877.
- Lyles RD, Moore NM, Weiner SB, Sikka M, Lin MY, Weinstein RA, Hayden MK, Sinkowitz-Cochran RL. Understanding staff perceptions about Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae control efforts in Chicago long-term acute care hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014 Apr;35(4):367-74. doi: 10.1086/675596. PubMed PMID: 24602941.
- Chemaly RF, Rathod DB, Sikka MK, Hayden MK, Hutchins M, Horn T, Tarrand J, Adachi J, Nguyen K, Trenholme G, Raad I. Serratia marcescens bacteremia because of contaminated prefilled heparin and saline syringes: a multi-state report. Am J Infect Control. 2011 Aug;39(6):521-4. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2010.08.020. Epub 2011 Apr 13. PubMed PMID: 21492963.
- Sikka MK, Hayden MK, Pur S, Segreti J, Harris AA, Weinstein RA, Trenholme G. Microbiologic and clinical epidemiologic characteristics of the Chicago subset of a multistate outbreak of Serratia marcescens bacteremia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010 Nov;31(11):1191-3. doi: 10.1086/657074. PubMed PMID: 20923282.