Special focus on
- Surgery, General (Pediatric)
- M.A., Harvard University, Cambridge Massachusetts 1981
- M. Phil., University of Cambridge, Cambridge United Kingdom 1982
- M.D., Columbia University, New York New York 1987
- Pediatric surgery, Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, TX, 1996
- Post-doctoral research fellow, Division of Pediatric Surgery, Center for Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation, 1992
- American Board of Surgery: general surgery, 1995
Dr. Butler joined the OHSU pediatric surgery practice in 2012 after 15 years in the San Francisco Bay Area, where she worked at Oakland Children’s Hospital and Stanford University. She shares an interest and expertise with her partners in minimal access surgery, whereby many operations can be performed using incisions as small as a pencil or a piece of spaghetti, allowing children to return to school within only a few days of surgery. Dr. Butler also has an interest in surgery of the neck, including problems with the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
In addition, Dr. Butler is committed to improving the surgical care for children in low- and middle-income countries, having performed volunteer work in Vietnam and China. She founded and serves as editor of the Global Paediatric Surgery Network. Currently she is pursuing a master of public health degree as a part-time student at Johns Hopkins University.
She relaxes by cooking, hiking, travelling, woodworking, and learning to play the bass guitar.Read more
- Spanish (some)
Memberships and associations
- American College of Surgeons