After completing her graduate work in Russia, Dr. Shnitko joined the Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill as a Postdoctoral Research Associate, where she studied alcohol drinking as a habitual behavior using rodent models. In 2016, she joined the Division of Neuroscience at ONPRC as a faculty member to study the phenomenon of habitual alcohol drinking in nonhuman primates.
Areas of interest
- Alcohol Use and Abuse Disorders
- Cognitive flexibility and habits
- Neuromodulation in corticostriatal circuits
- Fast-scan cyclic voltammetry
- B.S., Karelian State Pedagogical University Russian Federation 2002
- M.S., Karelian State Pedagogical University Russian Federation 2003
- Ph.D., Karelian State Pedagogical University & Russian Academy of Science Russian Federation 2007
- Postdoctoral training (Neuroscience, Addiction) Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010-2016
Memberships and associations
- 2009 Member, International Brain Research Organization
- 2010 Member, Research Society on Alcoholism
- 2012 Member, Society for Neuroscience
- 2016 Ad hoc reviewer, Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, Journal of Neurochemistry
Ranking cognitive flexibility in a group setting of rhesus monkeys with a set-shifting procedure. Shnitko T.A., Allen D.C., Gonzales S.W., Walter N.A.R., Grant K.A. (2017) Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, in press.
Translational research on habit and alcohol. McKim T.H.*, Shnitko T.A.*, Robinson D.L., Boettiger C.A. (2016) Current Addiction Reports, 3(1): 37-49.
Acute phenylalanine/tyrosine depletion of phasic dopamine in the rat brain. (2016) Shnitko T.A., Taylor S.C., Stringfield S.J., Zandy S.L., Cofresí R.U., Doherty J.M., Lynch W.B., Boettiger C.A., Gonzales R.A., Robinson D.L., Psychopharmacology 233(11):2045-54.
Adolescent binge-like alcohol alters sensitivity to acute alcohol effects on dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens of adult rats. Shnitko T.A., Spear L.P. and Robinson D.L. (2015) Psychopharmacology, 233(3): 361-371.
Regional variation in phasic dopamine release during alcohol and sucrose self-administration in rats. Shnitko T.A. and Robinson D.L. (2015) ACS Chemical Neuroscience, 6(1): 147-154.
Alcohol impact on evoked dopamine release and clearance in the medial prefrontal cortex of rats. Shnitko T.A., Kennerly L., Spear L.P. and Robinson D.L. (2014) Alcoholism: Clinical and experimental research, 38(12): 2969-2977.
Anatomical and pharmacological characterization of catecholamine transients in the medial prefrontal cortex evoked by ventral tegmental area stimulation. Shnitko T.A. and Robinson D.L. (2014) Synapse. 68(4):131-143.
- "Anatomical and pharmacological characterization of catecholamine transients in the medial prefrontal cortex evoked by ventral tegmental area stimulation" Synapse April 2014
- "Acute phenylalanine/tyrosine depletion of phasic dopamine in the rat brain" Psychopharmacology June 1 2016
- "Ethanol reduces evoked dopamine release and slows clearance in the rat medial prefrontal cortex" Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research December 1 2014
- "Regional variation in phasic dopamine release during alcohol and sucrose self-administration in rats" ACS Chemical Neuroscience January 21 2015
- "The influence of social conditions on the development of ethanol preference in rats" Doklady Biological Sciences February 2010
- "Dynamics of neuron activity levels in the monkey striatum associated with performance of a multistage behavioral program" Neuroscience and Behavioral Physiology January 2008
- "Adolescent binge-like alcohol alters sensitivity to acute alcohol effects on dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens of adult rats" Psychopharmacology February 1 2016
- "Effect of forced alcoholization on establishment of hierarchial relations in rats" Zhurnal Evolyutsionnoi Biokhimii i Fiziologii July 2008
- "Encoding of conditioned reflex activity in different directions by neurons in the monkey striatum" Neuroscience and Behavioral Physiology 2009
- "Effect of forced alcoholization on establishment of hierarchical relations in rats" Journal of Evolutionary Biochemistry and Physiology August 2008
- "The dynamics of neuron activity level in the striatum of the monkey brain in relation to the realization of multistage behavior" Fiziologicheskii Zhurnal Imeni I.M. Sechenova October 2006
- "Coding the differently directed behavioral actions by the putamen neurons of the monkey brain" Fiziologicheskii Zhurnal Imeni I.M. Sechenova March 2008
- "Ranking cognitive flexibility in a group setting of rhesus monkeys with a set-shifting procedure" Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience March 23 2017
- "Use of fast-scan cyclic voltammetry to assess phasic dopamine release in rat models of early postpartum maternal behavior and neglect" Behavioural Pharmacology January 1 2017
- "Ethanol Exposure History and Alcoholic Reward Differentially Alter Dopamine Release in the Nucleus Accumbens to a Reward-Predictive Cue" Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research January 1 2018
- "Low cognitive flexibility as a risk for heavy alcohol drinking in non-human primates" Alcohol January 1 2018
- "Correction to" Psychopharmacology January 1 2018
- "Local Î¼-Opioid Receptor Antagonism Blunts Evoked Phasic Dopamine Release in the Nucleus Accumbens of Rats" ACS Chemical Neuroscience April 17 2019
- "Chronic alcohol drinking slows brain development in adolescent and young adult nonhuman primates" eNeuro March 1 2019