Susan has been an oncology social worker for thirty years and specializes in the development and provision of psychosocial support services for people with cancer and their loved ones. Currently she supervises adult oncology social workers at OHSU and coordinate wellness offerings of yoga, mindfulness-based stress reduction, exercise, massage, and retreats for people with cancer.
Previously, she directed the cancer counseling program at Cancer Care Resources ( a program of the NW Cancer Specialists), and also directed the Palliative Care Program at Hospice and Palliative Care of Washington County.
She has spoken and written extensively about the impact of cancer on individuals and families, and on palliative and end of life care. Is a Senior Scholar for the Center for Ethics at OHSU. Is a past-president of the Association of Oncology Social Work.Read more
- B.S., University of California, Davis, CA 1976
- M.S.W., Portland State University 1980
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Oncology Social Work Certification
Honors and awards
- Quality of Life Award; American Cancer Society, 2009
- Leadership in Oncology Social Work Award; Association of Oncology Social Work, 1999
- Social Worker of the Year; Oregon Chapter of Hospital Social Work Directors 1992