Dr. Robert Martindale joined OHSU in May 2005. He is currently Professor of Surgery and served as head of the Division of General Surgery from 2005 - 2019. He also serves as the Medical Director for Hospital Nutrition Services. He is board certified in General Surgery with special clinical interest in abdominal wall reconstruction and surgical nutrition and metabolism.
Dr. Martindale completed his medical training at George Washington University in Washington DC and his surgical residency at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, WA. He obtained his PhD in Nutrition at UCLA, in the laboratories of Drs. Morton Grossman, Tachi Yamada, and Seymour Levin at the Center for Ulcer Research and Education.
Upon completion of his military obligation, Dr. Martindale joined the faculty at the Medical College of Georgia, where he held many distinguished positions, including Chief of the General Surgery Service at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Augusta, Georgia, Director of Nutrition Support Service at the Medical College of Georgia, and Chief of the Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery at the Medical College of Georgia. While at the Medical College of Georgia, Dr. Martindale also served as the Surgical Residency Program Director.
Dr. Martindale’s primary focus throughout his professional career has been in surgical education and patient care in surgery and nutrition. He has won numerous teaching awards and continues to publish and mentor young physicians and investigators. In addition to being the co-editor of a textbook dealing with surgical and critical care nutrition, he is the author of well over 200 publications, including peer reviewed articles, review articles, chapters, and several medical educational videos.
Dr. Martindale is on numerous professional committees on local, national, and international levels. He is on the editorial board for several surgical and nutritional journals, as well as serving as an editorial reviewer for over 15 peer reviewed journals. He routinely is invited to give lectures not only nationally, but internationally.
- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles California 1982
- M.D., George Washington University, Washington, DC 1984
- Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA, 1984-1989
- American Board of Surgery, 1990; recertification, 2000, 2010
Memberships and associations
- American Surgical Association
- "Feeding the critically ill patient" Critical Care Medicine 2014
- "Should the principle of "pay for performance" be applied to nutrition support?" Current Gastroenterology Reports 2009
- "Bugs or Drugs" Current Gastroenterology Reports July 3 2014
- "Effects of caerulein and bombesin on insulin and glucagon secretion from the isolated, perfused rat pancreas" Regulatory Peptides 1982
- "Nutrition Support of the Traumatically Injured Warfighter" Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America March 2008
- "Nutrition and metabolic complications after bariatric surgery and their treatment" Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition September 2011
- "Can the intestinal dysmotility of critical illness be differentiated from postoperative ileus?" Current Gastroenterology Reports August 2011
- "The adverse effects of octreotide on wound healing in rats" The American surgeon May 1997
- "Physician nutrition education" Nutrition in Clinical Practice 2014
- "Factors that impact patient outcome" Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition September 2013
- "Perioperative Nutritional Intervention" NestlÃ© Nutrition Institute workshop series 2015
- "Medication use after bariatric surgery in a managed care cohort" Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases September 2008
- "Is the use of specialized nutritional formulations a cost-effective strategy? A national database evaluation" Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition January 2005
- "Complications of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy" Military Medicine 1992
- "Clostridium septicum infection associated with necrotizing pancreatitis, transmural gastric necrosis, and liquefaction of the spleen" Unfallchirurgie February 2008
- "Drs. MClave et al respond" Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology December 2011
- "Analyzing prophylactic antibiotic administration in procedures lasting more than four hours" The American surgeon 2003
- "Probiotics" Nutrition in Clinical Practice 2005
- "Infection in surgical patients" American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy April 15 1998
- "Metabolic and nutritional management of a patient with multiple enterocutaneous fistulas" Nutrition 1997
- "Guidelines for the provision and assessment of nutrition support therapy in the adult critically ill patient" Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition May 2009
- "Nutrition therapy of the severely obese, critically ill patient" Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition September 2011
- "External Validation of the Ventral Hernia Risk Score for Prediction of Surgical Site Infections" Surgical Infections February 1 2015
- "Factors in selecting the optimal bariatric procedure for a specific patient and parameters by which to measure appropriate response to surgery" Current Gastroenterology Reports August 2010
- "A tutorial on enteral access in adult patients in the hospitalized setting" Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 2014
- "Up-regulation of the amino acid transporter ATB0,+ (SLC6A14) in carcinoma of the cervix" Gynecologic Oncology January 2006
- "Updating your nutrition care practice" Nursing Critical Care 2015
- "Is Immunonutrition Ready for Prime Time? Two Points of View" Nutrition in Clinical Practice December 2003
- "The effects of octreotide on healing of small bowel anastomosis" The American surgeon 1996
- "The gastrointestinal tract in critical illness" Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care September 2003