Areas of interest
- Functional and Structural Neuroimaging
- M.D., University of Kansas School of Medicine, Wichita Kansas United States 1994
- M.Sc., University of Texas Southwestern School of Medicine, Dallas Texas 2006
- Two year Fellowship in Psychopharmacology
- General Psychiatry by ABPN
- Addiction Medicine by American Board of Addiction Medicine
- Advanced Psychopharmacology by ASCP
Honors and awards
- Received “Best Teacher of the Year Award,” by the PGY 3 residents at the Samaritan Psychiatry Residency.
- Distinguished Fellow; American Psychiatric Association; December 15th 2015.
- Awarded Research Committee Recognition of Aptitude Certificate at Oregon State Hospital in July 2015.
- Awarded “2011-2012 Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award” April 16, 2012.
- Awarded “Outstanding Teacher Award 2011” by the third year psychiatry residents on June 17th 2011.
- Awarded K23 (NIH Mentored Research Development Award # 5K23MH077924-02) for the application titled, “Neurobiology of Insight Deficits in Schizophrenia,” on 1st February 2008.
- Received K-30 Training Award in the Clinical Scholars Track to sponsor tuition for Masters in Clinical Sciences and Research funded by NIH at University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas in 2004.
- Awarded Clinical Scholars Track at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas in August 2004.
- Life Member of National Registry of Who is Who, Publication: 2001- Edition of National Registry of Who is Who (# 141564).
- Award for Academic Excellence from Sind Medical Alumni Association of North America (SMCAANA) at the Annual Meeting of Association of Pakistani Physicians of North American (APPNA) at Chicago, IL on July 6, 2001.
- Awarded “Psychiatrist of the Year 2001” at the annual banquet of Comprehensive Care Department of Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic on November 15, 2001.
- First position in the Young Investigator Award Competition at the annual meeting of Association of Pakistani Physicians of North America (APPNA) in 1999 at New Orleans, LA.
- Certificate of Recognition from National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI), Wichita for outstanding dedication and continued support of mentally ill loved ones, December 1999.
- Janssen Research Award for outstanding Accomplishments in psychiatric research 1997-1998.
- Resident’s Paper Award of the Central Neuropsychiatric Association, 1997.
- Annual Award for outstanding contributions to help the mentally ill from the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI), Wichita 1997. Awarded R25 (Junior Faculty Scholars Program) sponsored by National Institute of Mental Health. Upjohn Research Award, 1996-97. Received Baumhardt award, May, 1997 on a paper titled “The potential for drug-drug interactions with older versus newer antipsychotic medications.”
- Upjohn Research Award for outstanding accomplishments in psychiatric research 1996-1997.
Memberships and associations
- American Psychiatric Association
- Society of Biological Psychiatry
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (ASCP)
Shad MU. Worsening of obsessive compulsive disorder with second-generation antipsychotic medications in a patient misdiagnosed as schizoaffective disorder. Journal of Depression & Anxiety Disorder, in press. 2017
QiLiang Q, Ermann A, Shad MU. Effectiveness of dextromethorphan/quinidine in frontotemporal dementia. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry in press 2017.
Shad, MU. Invited commentary titled, “Role of Cortical Midline Structures and Default Mode Network on Insight function in Schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2017, pii: S0920-9964(17)30493-0.
Chiu S, Woodbury M, Terpstra; Badmaev V, K, Cernovsky Z, Bureau Y, Hou JJ, Husni M, Copen J, Shad MU, Srivastava A, Sanchez V, Williams M, Khazaeipool Z, Carriere A, Chehade C. J Targeting epigenetics signaling with Curcumin: a transformative drug lead in treatment of schizophrenia? Journal of Clinical Epigenetics; 3(3):32 2017.
Perry-Rose J, Lenz K; Shad, MU. Delayed galactorrhea after discontinuation of risperidone in a schizophrenia patient. Asian J Psychiatr.2017 14; 30:75-76.
Luck, M, Turner M, Shad MU. Cost Effectiveness of Genetically-Guided Treatment in First-Episode Schizophrenia. Letter to the Editor, Schizophr Res. 2017 Jul 2. pii: S0920-9964(17)30390-0
Shad MU, Boothby A. Hyperprolactinemia with low dose of risperidone in a young female. Letter to the Editor submitted in Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 2017, (27): 69–70.
Shad, MU., Keshavan, SM. Neurobiology of Insight Deficits in Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 2015 Jul;165 (2-3):220-6.
Chiu S, Woodbury-Farina, M, Shad, MU, Bureau Y, Cernovsky Z, Jurui JH, Husni M, Copen J, Raheb H, Terpstra K, Sachez V, Hategan A, Kaushal M. The role of nutrient based epigenetic changes in buffering against stress, aging and Alzheimer’s dementia. Psychiatr Clin N Am 37 (2014) 589–621.
Shad MU, Prasad K, Forman SD, Haas GL, Walker JD, Pisarov LA, Goldstein G. Insight and Neurocognitive Functioning in Bipolar Subjects. Comp Psychiatry 2015 Jan;56:112-20. doi: 10.1016/j.comppsych.2014.04.016. Epub 2014 May 2