Mathew Geltzeiler, M.D. specializes in endoscopic sinus surgery, treatment of sinonasal tumors, and anterior skull base surgery. Dr. Geltzeiler studied neuroscience at Brown University and medicine at Boston University School of Medicine where he graduated summa cum laude. He completed his residency training in Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery at Oregon Health & Science University. Dr. Geltzeiler then spent two years at the University of Pittsburgh where he completed two fellowships in Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery and Advanced Skull Base Surgery.
Dr. Geltzeiler's clinical interests include anterior skull base surgery, management of sinonasal tumors, cerebrospinal fluid leak repair and endoscopic sinus surgery. His research interests include quality of life and olfactory outcomes associated with skull base surgery.
Dr. Geltzeiler's clinical practice includes:
Endoscopic (minimally invasive) skull base surgery
Traditional (open) skull base surgery
Nasal and Sinus Tumors
Endoscopic Orbital Surgery
Polyps and Recurrent Polyps
Sinusitis and Recurrent Sinusitis
Revision (Re-do) Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- B.S., Brown University, Providence Rhode Island United States 2005
- M.D., Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Massachusetts United States 2010
- Otolaryngology Internship, OHSU - 2010 - 2011
- Otolaryngology Residency, OHSU - 2011 - 2015
- Advanced Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh - 2015
- Advanced Skull Base Oncologic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh - 2016 - 2017
- American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Honors and awards
- Gallo Award for Excellence in Clinical Cancer Research, Cancer Institute of New Jersey- 1999
- Gallo Award for Excellence in Clinical Cancer Research, Cancer Institute of New Jersey- 2001
- The James T McIlwain Award for Excellence in Neuroscience - 2005
- Best Basic Science Research Project, OHSU Department of Otolaryngology - 2013
Memberships and associations
- American Academy of Otolaryngolgy - Head and Neck Surgery
- American Rhinologic Society
- American Head and Neck Society
- North American Skill Base Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
Geltzeiler MN and Snyderman KS, Neoplastic Involvement of Carotid Artery, Alper CM, Decision Making In Otoloaryngology, second edition, in press 2017.
Geltzeiler MN and Ferris RL, Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy, Meyers E, Operative Otolaryngology, third edition, in press 2017.
Geltzeiler MN and Ferris RL, Oropharyngeal Malignancy, Alper CM, Decision Making In Otoloaryngology, Second edition, in press 2017.
Geltzeiler MN, Wang EW. Delayed complications from expanded endonasal surgery for intracranial tumors. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, accepted for publication, October 2017
Geltzeiler M, Doerfler S, Kubik M, Albergotti WG, Kim S, Ferris RL, Duvvuri U, Transoral Robotic Surgery for Management of Cervical Unknown Primary Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Updates on Efficacy, Surgical Technique and Margin Status, Oral Oncol. 2017 Mar;66:9-13
Geltzeiler M, Steele TO. Nasal septal perforation secondary to systemic bevacizumab. Am J Otolaryngol. 2017 Jan 19, S0196-0709(16)30611-1.
Albergotti WG, Gooding WE, Kubik MW, Geltzeiler M, Kim S, Duvvuri U, Ferris RL, Assessment of Surgical Learning Curves in Transoral Robotic Surgery for Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Oropharynx, JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Feb9.
Geltzeiler M, Clayburgh D, Andersen P, Brickman D, Predictors of Extracapsular Extension for HPV positive Oropharyngeal Cancer, Oral Oncology, Feb;65:89-93.
Geltzeiler M, Li G, Abraham J, Keller C, The case for primary salivary gland rhabdomyosarcoma, Front Onc, 2015 April 1; 5:74.
Geltzeiler M, Monroe M, Givi B, Vetto J, Andersen P, Gross N, Regional Control of Head and Neck Melanoma with Selective Neck Dissection, JAMA Otolarygol Head Neck Surg. 2014 Oct 2. Doi:10.1001/mamaoto.2014.2056