Dr. Mark Asquith is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Arthritis and Rheumatic Disease (Department of Medicine) at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, OR. He is a recipient of grant awards from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Collins Medical Trust, The Medical Research Foundation and the Rheumatology Research Foundation. He is also a recipient of a Jane Bruckel award from the Spondylitis Association of America. He established his laboratory at OHSU under the supervision of Prof. Jim Rosenbaum, with whom he did a postdoctoral fellowship. Profs. Asquith and Rosenbaum continue to collaborate on several clinical and basic research projects to this day.
Dr. Asquith has researched the microbiome and immune system for over a decade. His current research focus has two major aims: 1) to better understand the role of the microbiome in the development of chronic inflammatory diseases such as Ankylosing Spondylitis (an inflammatory disease of the spine), inflammatory bowel disease and uveitis (an inflammatory disease of the eye) and 2) to identify novel diagnostic and therapeutic approaches based on the microbiome for these inflammatory diseases. He has several collaborations locally, nationally and internationally to investigate these conditions as well as several other microbiome-related diseases investigated by collaborators such as psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), multiple sclerosis (MS), chronic fatigue syndrome, age-related macular disease (AMD), autism and urinary incontinence.Read more
Areas of interest
- Gastrointestinal microbiome
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- B.Sc., University of Nottingham, Nottingham United Kingdom 2004
- M.Sc., London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University of London, London United Kingdom 2005
- Ph.D., University of Oxford, School of Pathology, Oxford United Kingdom 2010
Rosenbaum JT, Asquith M. The microbiome and HLA-B27-associcated acute anterior uveitis. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2018 Oct 9. doi: 10.1038/s41584-018-0097-2. PMID: 30301938.
Karstens L, Asquith M, Caruso V, Rosenbaum JT, Fair DA, Braun J, Gregory WT, Nardos R, McWeeney SK. Community profiling of the urinary microbiota: considerations for low-biomass samples. Nat Rev Urol. 2018 Oct 12. doi: 10.1038/s41585-018-0104-z. PMID: 30315209.
Gill T, Asquith M, Brooks SR, Rosenbaum JT, Colbert RA. Effects of HLA-B27 on Gut Microbiota in Experimental Spondyloarthritis Implicate an Ecological Model of Dysbiosis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018 Apr;70(4):555-565. doi: 10.1002/art.40405. PMID: 29287307.
Asquith M, Davin S, Stauffer P, Michell C, Janowitz C, Lin P, Ensign-Lewis J, Kinchen JM, Koop DR, Rosenbaum JT. Intestinal Metabolites Are Profoundly Altered in the Context of HLA-B27 Expression and Functionally Modulate Disease in a Rat Model of Spondyloarthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017 Oct;69(10):1984-1995. doi: 10.1002/art.40183. PMID 28622455.
Asquith M, Rosenbaum JT. The interaction between host genetics and the microbiome in the pathogenesis of spondyloarthropathies. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2016 Jul;28(4):405-12. doi: 10.1097/BOR.0000000000000299. PMID: 27152700.
Asquith MJ, Stauffer P, Davin S, Mitchell C, Lin P, Rosenbaum JT. Perturbed Mucosal Immunity and Dysbiosis Accompany Clinical Disease in a Rat Model of Spondyloarthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016 Sep;68(9):2151-62. doi: 10.1002/art.39681. PMID: 26992013.
Asquith M, Elewaut D, Lin P, Rosenbaum JT. The role of the gut and microbes in the pathogenesis of spondyloarthritis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2014 Oct;28(5):687-702. doi: 10.1016/j.berh.2014.10.018. PMID: 25488778.
Lin P, Bach M, Asquith M, Lee AY, Akileswaran L, Stauffer P, Davin S, Pan Y, Cambronne ED, Dorris M, Debelius JW, Lauber CL, Ackermann G, Baeza YV, Gill T, Knight R, Colbert RA, Taurog JD, Van Gelder RN, Rosenbaum JT. HLA-B27 and human β2-microglobulin affect the gut microbiota of transgenic rats. PLoS One. 2014 Aug 20;9(8):e105684. PMID: 25140823.
Asquith M, Haberthur K, Brown M, Engelmann F, Murphy A, Al-Mahdi Z, Messaoudi I. Age-dependent changes in innate immune phenotype and function in rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta). Pathobiol Aging Age Relat Dis. 2012;2. doi: 10.3402/pba.v2i0.18052. PMID: 22953039.
Coccia M, Harrison OJ, Schiering C, Asquith MJ, Becher B, Powrie F, Maloy KJ. IL-1β mediates chronic intestinal inflammation by promoting the accumulation of IL-17A secreting innate lymphoid cells and CD4(+) Th17 cells. J Exp Med. 2012 Aug 27;209(9):1595-609. PMID: 22891275.
- "HLA-B27 and human Î²2-microglobulin affect the gut microbiota of transgenic rats" PLoS One August 20 2014
- "Flow cytometry-based methods to characterize immune senescence in nonhuman primatesflow cytometry-based methods to characterize immune senescence in nonhuman primates" 2015
- "Genome-wide analysis of t cell responses during acute and latent simian varicella virus infections in rhesus macaques" Journal of Virology 2013
- "The role of the gut and microbes in the pathogenesis of spondyloarthritis" Best Practice and Research in Clinical Rheumatology 2014
- "The intestinal microbiome in spondyloarthritis" Current Opinion in Rheumatology August 24 2015
- "Does the microbiome play a causal role in spondyloarthritis?" Clinical Rheumatology 2014
- "Chronic Ethanol Consumption Modulates Growth Factor Release, Mucosal Cytokine Production, and MicroRNA Expression in Nonhuman Primates" Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 2014
- "Moderate alcohol consumption enhances vaccine-induced responses in rhesus macaques" Vaccine December 17 2013
- "Aqueous cell differentiation in anterior uveitis using fourier-domain optical coherence tomography" Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 2015
- "The microbiome, HLA, and the pathogenesis of uveitis" Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology January 1 2016
- "Does the Microbiome Cause B27-related Acute Anterior Uveitis?" Ocular Immunology and Inflammation March 20 2016
- "The interaction between host genetics and the microbiome in the pathogenesis of spondyloarthropathies" Current Opinion in Rheumatology May 6 2016
- "Perturbed Mucosal Immunity and Dysbiosis Accompany Clinical Disease in a Rat Model of Spondyloarthritis" Arthritis and Rheumatology September 1 2016
- "The Microbiome" Current Rheumatology Reports October 1 2016
- "Gut microbial alterations associated with protection from autoimmune uveitis" Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science July 1 2016
- "Does the urinary microbiome play a role in urgency urinary incontinence and its severity?" Frontiers in cellular and infection microbiology July 27 2016
- "OX40 is required for regulatory T cell-mediated control of colitis" Journal of Experimental Medicine April 12 2010
- "Pathogenic and protective roles of MyD88 in leukocytes and epithelial cells in mouse models of inflammatory bowel disease" Gastroenterology 2010
- "TLR2-independent induction and regulation of chronic intestinal inflammation" European Journal of Immunology February 2010
- "An innately dangerous balancing act" Journal of Experimental Medicine August 2 2010
- "IL-1Î² mediates chronic intestinal inflammation by promoting the accumulation of IL-17A secreting innate lymphoid cells and CD4 + Th17 cells" Journal of Experimental Medicine August 2012
- "Estrogen protection against EAE modulates the microbiota and mucosal-associated regulatory cells" Journal of Neuroimmunology September 15 2017
- "Short chain fatty acids ameliorate immune-mediated uveitis partially by altering migration of lymphocytes from the intestine" Scientific Reports December 1 2017
- "Intestinal Metabolites Are Profoundly Altered in the Context of HLA-B27 Expression and Functionally Modulate Disease in a Rat Model of Spondyloarthritis" Arthritis and Rheumatology October 1 2017
- "Effects of HLA-B27 on Gut Microbiota in Experimental Spondyloarthritis Implicate an Ecological Model of Dysbiosis" Arthritis and Rheumatology January 1 2018
- "Fecal transplants in spondyloarthritis and uveitis" Current Opinion in Rheumatology July 1 2018
- "Spondyloarthritis, acute anterior uveitis, and fungi" Frontiers in Medicine April 1 2018
- "The microbiome and HLA-B27-associated acute anterior uveitis" Nature Reviews Rheumatology January 1 2018
- "Community profiling of the urinary microbiota" Nature Reviews Urology January 1 2018
- "Disruption of Intestinal Homeostasis and Intestinal Microbiota During Experimental Autoimmune Uveitis" Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science January 2 2019