Dr. Denneson’s primary areas of interest are solution-focused approaches to strengthening mental health and psychological well-being and the social/contextual influences on health and health behaviors. She recently received funding to investigate the VA healthcare received by women Veterans who died by suicide and serves as co-investigator on several studies of suicide prevention and intervention. She also serves as a co-investigator on a study examining the patient-provider relationship in the context of Veteran online access to mental health progress notes.
• Denneson LM, Basham C, Dickinson KC, Crutchfield M, Millet L, Shen X, Dobscha SK.
Suicide risk assessment and content of VA healthcare contacts before suicide completion by veterans in Oregon. Psychiatric Services, 61:1192-1197, 2010.
• Basham C, Denneson LM, Millet L, Shen X, Duckart J, Dobscha SK. Characteristics and
VA healthcare utilization of United States veterans who completed suicide in Oregon. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 41(3):287-296, 2011.
• Corson K, Doak M, Denneson LM, Crutchfield M, Soleck G, Dickinson KC, Gerrity MS,
Dobscha SK. Primary Care Clinician Adherence to Guidelines for the Management of Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain: Results from the study of the effectiveness of a collaborative approach to pain. Pain Medicine, 12(10):1490-1501, 2011.
• Denneson LM, Corson K, Dobscha SK. Complementary and alternative medicine use among
veterans with chronic non-cancer pain. Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development, 48(9):1119-1128, 2011.
• Oneil ME, Peterson K, Low A, Carson S, Denneson LM, Haney EM, Shiroma P, Kansagara D.
Suicide Prevention Interventions and Referral/Follow-up Services: A Systematic Review. VA-ESP Project 05-225; 2012.
• Haney EM, Oneil ME, Carson S, Low A, Peterson K, Denneson LM, Oleksiewicz C,
Kansagara D. Suicide Risk Factors and Risk Assessment Tools: A Systematic Review. VA-ESP Project 05-225; 2012.
• Corson K, Denneson LM, Bair MJ, Helmer DA, Goulet JL, Dobscha SK. Prevalence and
Correlates of Suicidal Ideation among Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom Veterans. Journal of Affective Disorders, 149:291-298, 2013.
• Ganzini L, Denneson LM, Press N, Bair MJ, Helmer DA, Poat J, Dobscha SK. Trust is the Basis
for Effective Suicide Risk Assessment in Veterans. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 28(9):1215-21, 2013.
• Dobscha SK, Denneson LM, Kovas AE, Corson K, Helmer DA, Bair MJ. Primary care clinician
responses to positive suicidal ideation risk assessments in veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan. General Hospital Psychiatry, 36: 310-317, 2014.
• Denneson LM, Corson K, Helmer DA, Bair MJ, Dobscha SK. Mental health utilization of new-
to-care Iraq and Afghanistan veterans following suicidal ideation assessment. Psychiatry Research, 217: 147-153, 2014.
• Bush NE, Dobscha SK, Denneson LM, Hoffman JE, Crain A, Crumpton R, Cromer R, Kinn JT.
A virtual hope box smartphone app as an accessory to therapy: Proof of concept in a clinical sample of veterans. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 45 (1):1-9, 2015.
• Dobscha SK, Denneson LM, Kovas AE, Teo A, Forsberg CW, Kaplan MS, Bossarte R,
McFarland BH. Correlates of suicide among veterans treated in primary care: Case-control study of a nationally representative sample. Journal of General Internal Medicine, Suppl 4: 856-60, 2014.
• Denneson LM, Teo AR, Ganzini L, Helmer DA, Bair MJ, Dobscha SK. Military veterans’
experiences with suicidal ideation: Implications for intervention and prevention. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 45 (4): 399-414, 2015.
• Nelson HD, Denneson LM, Teo A, Low A, O’Neil M, Bauer BW, Kansagara D. Systematic Review of Suicide
Prevention in Veterans. VA ESP Project #05-225, 2015.
• Denneson LM, Williams HB, Kaplan MS, McFarland BH, Dobscha SK. Treatment of veterans
with mental health symptoms in VA primary care prior to suicide. General Hospital Psychiatry, 38: 65-70, 2016.
• Denneson LM, Kovas AE, Britton PC, Kaplan MS, McFarland BH, Dobscha SK. Suicide risk
documented during veterans’ last VA health care contacts prior to suicide. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 46 (3): 363-374, 2016.
• Denneson LM, Cromer R, Jacobson LE, Teo A, Dobscha SK. Female veterans who died by
suicide: Qualitative analysis of medical records. Military Behavioral Health, in press.
• Dobscha SK, Cromer R, Crain A, Denneson LM. Qualitative analysis of U.S. Department of
Veterans Affairs mental health clinician perspectives on patient-centered care. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, in press.
- M.S., Portland State University 2006
- Ph.D., Portland State University 2009