Dr. Lalwani specializes in caring for infants and children requiring anesthesia for surgery, or sedation for diagnostic procedures. He is interested in faculty development, resident and fellow education, and is the program director for the Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship Program at OHSU. He also enjoys mentoring medical students for clinical research projects in anesthesiology, and faculty members at OHSU and other institutions.
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich, UK,1990-1993.
- King's College Hospital, London, UK, 1993-1994
- Royal London Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London, UK, 1995-1997
- Pediatric anesthesiology, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London, UK, 1994-1995
- 1997: Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training in Anesthesiology, London, UK
- 2013: Diplomate, Anesthesiology: The American Board of Anesthesiology: Certificate #50295
- 2014: Diplomate, Pediatric Anesthesiology: The American Board of Anesthesiology: Certificate #50295
Honors and awards
- 2010: Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2017: Joanne Jene Medical Student Excellence in Teaching Award
- Portland Monthly: Top Doctors Pediatric Anesthesiology, 2007 and 2008
Memberships and associations
- Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists, U.K.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- President, Society for Pediatric Anesthesia
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- Pediatric Anesthesia Program Directors' Association
- Society for Academic Associations in Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
1. Modified Orbitozygomatic Craniotomy for Craniopharyngioma Resection in Children. Golshani KJ, Lalwani K, Delashaw Jr J, Selden NR. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 2009. 4:345-352.
2. Factors Affecting Parental Satisfaction Following Pediatric Procedural Sedation. Lew V, Lalwani K, Palermo T. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia. 2010 Feb; 22 (1):29-34.
3. The ‘Dark’ Side of Sedation: 12 Years of Deep Sedation for Pediatric Electroretinography in the Dark. Lalwani K, Tompkins B, Burnes K, Pennesi M, Krahmer M, Weleber R. Pediatric Anesthesia, 2011, Jan (21)1 ;65-71.
4. The Effect of Nitrous Oxide on Intraocular Pressure in Healthy Adults. Lalwani K, Fox EB, Fu R, Edmunds B, Kelly LD. Anaesthesia, 2012, 67, 256-260.
5. Office-Based Deep Sedation for Pediatric Ophthalmologic Procedures Using a Sedation Service Model Lalwani K, Tomlinson M, Koh JL, Wheeler D. Anesthesiology Research and Practice. Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 598593, 4 pages doi:10.1155/2012/598593
6. Complications of Three Deep Sedation Methods for MRI. Tith S, M.D., Lalwani K, Fu R. Journal of Anesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology. 2012, April-June; 28(2): 44-50.
7. Use of the Laryngeal Mask Airway for Pediatric Adenotonsillectomy: Complications and Predictors of Failure Lalwani K, Richins S, Aliason I, Milczuk H, and Fu R. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 77 (2013) 25–28.
8. Lalwani, K. How to Create and Moderate a Great Problem Based Learning Discussion (PBLD). MedEdPORTAL; 2013. Available from: http://www.mededportal.org/publication/9371.
9. Wu L, Lalwani K, Hook KA, Almario BM, Fu R, Edmunds B. Respiratory Complications Associated with Ketamine Anaesthesia for Ophthalmic Procedures following Intraocular Pressure Measurement in Children. Journal of Anesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology. | April-June 2014 | Vol 30 | Issue 2
10. Patel S, Lalwani K, Koh J, Wu L, Fu R. Temporal Variation of the Leak Pressure of Uncuffed Endotracheal Tubes Following Pediatric Intubation: An Observational Study. J Anesth. 2014 Jun;28(3):368-73. doi: 10.1007/s00540-013-1728-z. Epub 2013 Oct 24. 2013, Oct 24
- "Respiratory complications associated with ketamine anesthesia for ophthalmic procedures following intraocular pressure measurement in children" Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology 2014
- "Acute organophosphorous insecticide poisoning " Anaesthesia 1993
- "Pediatric sedation in North American children's hospitals" Paediatric Anaesthesia 2005
- "A migrating central venous catheter " Anaesthesia 1994
- "Temporal variation of the leak pressure of uncuffed endotracheal tubes following pediatric intubation" Journal of Anesthesia 2014
- "The laryngeal mask airway for pediatric adenotonsillectomy" International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology January 2013
- "Recurrent intraoperative lobar collapse" Paediatric Anaesthesia 1998
- "Acute epiglottitis" 2007
- "Intravenous bupivacaine in children" Anesthesia and Analgesia September 2010
- "Thyroid storm as a cause of loss of consciousness following anaesthesia for emergency Caesarean section" Anaesthesia 1994
- "Jaw-thrust and continuous positive airway pressure in infants  (multiple letters)" Journal of Pediatrics 2002
- "Factors affecting parental satisfaction following pediatric procedural sedation" Journal of Clinical Anesthesia February 2010
- "Is it safe to artificially ventilate a paralysed patient through a laryngeal mask? (multiple letters) " British Journal of Anaesthesia 2002
- "Nil by mouth after midnight " Anaesthesia 1993
- "Demographics and trends in nonoperating-room anesthesia" Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology August 2006
- "Cardiac arrest in the neonate during laparoscopic surgery" Anesthesia and Analgesia September 2009
- ""Poor Man's LMA" " Canadian Anaesthetists Society Journal 2001
- "The effect of nitrous oxide on intra-ocular pressure in healthy adults" Anaesthesia March 2012
- "Modified orbitozygomatic craniotomy for craniopharyngioma resection in children" Journal of neurosurgery. Pediatrics October 2009
- "Use of oxcarbazepine to treat a pediatric patient with resistant complex regional pain syndrome" Journal of Pain October 2005
- "Aerophagia and anesthesia" Paediatric Anaesthesia October 2005
- "Office-based deep sedation for pediatric ophthalmologic procedures using a sedation service model" Anesthesiology Research and Practice 2012
- "The 'dark' side of sedation" Paediatric Anaesthesia January 2011
- "Post-tonsillectomy bleeding (PTB)" 2007
- "Concerns/questions about sedation and computed tomography scans " Pediatrics 2001
- "Complications of three deep sedation methods for magnetic resonance imaging" Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology April 2012
- "Intravenous sedation vs general anesthesia for pediatric otolaryngology procedures" JAMA Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery June 1 2003
- "Animal toxins" British Journal of Anaesthesia 1995
- "Office-Based Dental Rehabilitation in Children With Special Healthcare Needs Using a Pediatric Sedation Service Model" Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery March 2007
- "Determined and desperate to diet" September 15 2015