Kim J. Burchiel, M.D., F.A.C.S. is the John Raaf Professor and Chairman Emeritus of the Department of Neurological Surgery at OHSU. Dr. Burchiel attended undergraduate school at the University of California Davis and completed his residency in Neurological Surgery at the University of Washington in 1982. He remained on the faculty there from 1982 through 1988, when he moved to OHSU to head up, what was at that time, the Division of Neurosurgery. Dr. Burchiel is past Chairman of the AANS/CNS Joint Section on Pain, past-President of the American Board of Pain Medicine, past-President the Society of University Neurosurgeons, and past-President of the Western Neurosurgical Society. He has been a Director and Vice-Chairman of the American Board of Neurological Surgery, he is Past-Secretary and President of the Society of Neurological Surgeons, and he is a member and current Chairman of the ACGME Residency Review Committee for Neurological Surgery. He is the recipient of the Distinguished Service Award from both the Society of University Neurosurgeons, and the American Association of Neurological Surgery. In September 2015, he was the Honored Guest of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual meeting in New Orleans, and in 2016 he was the Honored Guest of the American Association for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery.
Dr. Burchiel is Head of the Division of Functional Neurosurgery at OHSU, and also directs the Functional and Stereotactic Neurosurgery fellowship program that encompasses the surgical treatment of pain, movement disorders, and epilepsy. Beginning in 1994, he has now trained over 40 fellows in Functional and Stereotactic Neurosurgery. His major clinical interests are in Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) for movement disorders and other conditions, and the surgical treatment of pain, particularly trigeminal neuralgia. His research interests are concerned with the physiology of nociception and neuropathic pains, including trigeminal neuralgia, the neurosurgical treatment of movement disorders, epilepsy surgery, image-guided neurosurgery, and the application of DBS to the problem of obesity. He has published over 300 peer-reviewed articles and chapters, and his five published textbooks include the Surgical Management of Pain (1st and 2nd editions), Spinal Cord Injury Pain: Assessment, Mechanisms, Management, and Microelectrode Recording in Movement Disorder Surgery.Read more
- Neurosurgery - University of Washington, Seattle, Wash
- Board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery, 1984
Memberships and associations
- President of the Western Neurosurgical Society, 2007
- "Preoptic area cooling increases the sympathetic outflow to brown adipose tissue and brown adipose tissue thermogenesis." American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology In: , Vol. 315, No. 4, 01.10.2018, p. R609-R618.
- "Asleep Deep Brain Stimulation Reduces Incidence of Intracranial Air during Electrode Implantation." Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery In: , 30.05.2018, p. 1-8.
- "Image-Guided, Asleep Deep Brain Stimulation." Progress in neurological surgery In: , Vol. 33, 01.01.2018, p. 94-106.
- "Deep brain stimulation-related infections : Analysis of rates, timing, and seasonality." Clinical neurosurgery In: , Vol. 83, No. 3, 01.01.2018, p. 540-547.
- "Clinical outcomes of asleep vs awake deep brain stimulation for Parkinson disease." Neurology In: , Vol. 89, No. 19, 07.11.2017, p. 1944-1950.
- "Factors Affecting Stereotactic Accuracy in Image-Guided Deep Brain Stimulator Electrode Placement." Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery In: , 09.09.2017, p. 315-324.
- "Neurosurgical Education : A New Paradigm for Curriculum, Core, and Subspecialty Training." Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 63, 01.08.2016, p. 88-90.
- "Trigeminal Neuralgia : New Evidence for Origins and Surgical Treatment." Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 63, 01.08.2016, p. 52-55.
- "Deep Brain Stimulation Targets, Technology, and Trials : Two Decades of Progress." Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 63, 01.08.2016, p. 6-9.
- "Correlation of preoperative MRI with the long-term outcomes of dorsal root entry zone lesioning for brachial plexus avulsion pain." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 124, No. 5, 01.05.2016, p. 1470-1478.
- "Cost analysis of awake versus asleep deep brain stimulation : A single academic health center experience." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 124, No. 5, 01.05.2016, p. 1517-1523.
- "Atypical facial pain in multiple sclerosis caused by spinal cord seizures : A case report and review of the literature." Journal of Medical Case Reports In: , Vol. 10, No. 1, 891, 20.04.2016.
- "Effect of Subthalamic Nucleus Stimulation on Pedunculopontine Nucleus Neural Activity." Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 94, No. 1, 01.04.2016, p. 54-59.
- "Trigeminal neuralgia without neurovascular compression presents earlier than trigeminal neuralgia with neurovascular compression." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 123, No. 6, 01.12.2015, p. 1519-1527.
- "Internal neurolysis for trigeminal neuralgia : Response." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 123, No. 6, 01.12.2015, p. 1613-1614.
- "Neuropsychological changes following deep brain stimulation surgery for Parkinson's disease : Comparisons of treatment at pallidal and subthalamic targets versus best medical therapy." Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry In: , Vol. 86, No. 6, 01.06.2015, p. 622-629.
- "Long-term efficacy and safety of internal neurolysis for trigeminal neuralgia without neurovascular compression." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 122, No. 5, 01.05.2015, p. 1048-1057.
- "Peripheral Nerve Surgery for Pain." Pain, Treatment, Injury, Disease and Future Directions. Vol. 2 Elsevier, 2015. p. 53-70.
- "Resident away rotations allow adaptive neurosurgical training." Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 76, No. 4, 19.04.2015, p. 421-425.
- "Deep brain stimulation : Current assessment, new applications, and future innovations." Neurosurgical Focus In: , Vol. 38, No. 6, E1, 2015.
- "Response." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 121, No. 4, 01.10.2014, p. 1004.
- "Use of an artificial neural network for diagnosis of facial pain syndromes : An update." Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 92, No. 1, 01.2014, p. 44-52.
- "The effect of deep brain stimulation randomized by site on balance in Parkinson's disease." Movement Disorders In: , Vol. 29, No. 7, 2014, p. 949-953.
- "Value-based neurosurgery and microvascular decompression." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 121, No. 2, 2014, p. 495-496.
- "Trigeminal neuralgia occurs and recurs in the absence of neurovascular compression." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 120, No. 5, 2014, p. 1048-1054.
- "Commentary : Simulation training in neurological surgery." Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 73, No. SUPPL. 4, 10.2013.
- "Society of Neurological Surgeons boot camp courses : Knowledge retention and relevance of hands-on learning after 6 months of postgraduate year 1 training." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 119, No. 3, 09.2013, p. 796-802.
- "Neurosurgical Approaches to Pain Management." Practical Management of Pain: Fifth Edition. Elsevier Inc., 2013. p. 328-334.
- "Intractable pain." Neurosurgical Focus In: , Vol. 35, No. 3, 09.2013.
- "Response." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 119, No. 2, 08.2013, p. 535.