Dr. Kevin Piro is currently a hospitalist at OHSU. He graduated from University of Pennsylvania with a BA in biochemistry. Subsequently, he worked on multidrug resistance research at MD Anderson Cancer Center before enrolling in medical school at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston. After medical school he returned to his home state to complete his internal medicine residency at OHSU. Following residency, he participated in and helped build a point-of-care ultrasound fellowship at OHSU, becoming only the second general medicine-focused ultrasound fellowship in the nation. Upon completion of his fellowship, he has taken on the roles of hospitalist, urgent care provider, and Director of Internal Medicine Ultrasound Education. He is passionate about using point-of-care ultrasound in clinical decision making and patient education, resident curriculum design, and teaching. Outside of work, he loves digging in his garden, following the ups-and-downs of the Portland Trail Blazers, and outdoor adventures with his family.
Areas of interest
- Dr. Piro is interested in applications of ultrasound to the bedside physical exam to improve diagnostic accuracy and integration of ultrasound into resident education.
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States 2006
- M.D., University of Texas Medical Center at Houston, Houston Texas United States 2013
- Oregon Health & Science University, 2014
- Oregon Health & Science University, 2016
- General Medicine Ultrasound Fellowship, Oregon Health and Science University, 2017
Honors and awards
- 2017 OHSU Symposium on Education Excellence, 2nd place educational innovation poster
- 2016 Housestaff Teaching Award (OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program)
- 2015 Housestaff Teaching Award (OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program)
- 2014 Oregon ACP Chapter Meeting, Oral Vignette Competition, 2nd place
Sammons J, O'Glasser AY, Piro K, Dversdal R. Provider-performed Point-of-care Ultrasound: An Emerging Technology or "Disruptive Innovation?" SGIM Forum 39 (6): 6, 15.