The major focus of Dr. Cetas's laboratory is to understand the effects of subarachnoid hemorrhage on the brainstem and central nervous system and their subsequent role in determining long-term outcomes.
Delayed vasospasm is a common and devastating consequence of subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) that is poorly understood with few effective treatments. The aim of Dr. Cetas's laboratory research is to identify a novel biomarker for predicting a patient's risk for developing delayed vasospasm and subsequent neurological deficits, as well as a new potential therapeutic target for the medical prevention of delayed vasospasm. Specifically, preliminary data both in animal models and patients of SAH suggest that a group of potent vasodilator metabolites of arachidonic acid (called epoxyeicosatrienoic acids or simply EETs) are linked to the development of vasospasm and may predict its development after SAH. The reasearchers propose to test the hypothesis that EETs levels after SAH correlate with the development of delayed vasospasm and that polymorphisms in the gene EPHX2 (which regulates the metabolism of EETs) correlate with an individual’s EETs response. They anticipate that individuals whose EETs levels are elevated after SAH will not go on to develop vasospasm. Furthermore, they predict that those individuals who do not elevate their EETs levels after SAH will have a higher frequency of polymorphisms in the EPHX2 gene.
- B.A., St. John’s College, Santa Fe New Mexico 1993
- Ph.D., University of Arizona, Tuscon Arizona 2000
- M.D., University of Arizona, Tucson Arizona 2002
- Neurological surgery, Oregon Health & Science University, 2009
- Skull base surgery, Oregon Health & Science University, 2010
- American Board of Neurological Surgery: certified
Memberships and associations
- American Academy of Neurological Surgeons
- "Clinical outcomes in male patients with lactotroph adenomas who required pituitary surgery : a retrospective single center study." Pituitary In: , 23.06.2018, p. 1-9.
- "Minimally invasive endoscopic repair of refractory lateral skull base cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea : Case report and review of the literature." Neurosurgical Focus In: , Vol. 44, No. 3, E8, 01.03.2018.
- "Silent somatotroph pituitary adenomas : an update." Pituitary In: , 05.01.2018, p. 1-9.
- "Surgical Parameters for Minimally Invasive Trans–Eustachian Tube CSF Leak Repair : A Cadaveric Study and Literature Review." World Neurosurgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "High prevalence of adrenal insufficiency at diagnosis and headache recovery in surgically resected Rathke’s cleft cysts—a large retrospective single center study." Endocrine In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Candida Meningitis After Transsphenoidal Surgery : A Single-Institution Case Series and Literature Review." World Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 108, 01.12.2017, p. 41-49.
- "Clinical profile of silent growth hormone pituitary adenomas; higher recurrence rate compared to silent gonadotroph pituitary tumors, a large single center experience." Endocrine In: , 17.10.2017, p. 1-7.
- "Predictors of silent corticotroph adenoma recurrence; a large retrospective single center study and systematic literature review." Pituitary In: , 14.10.2017, p. 1-9.
- "Current and potential imaging applications of ferumoxytol for magnetic resonance imaging." Kidney International In: , Vol. 92, No. 1, 01.07.2017, p. 47-66.
- "Medical therapy with pasireotide in recurrent Cushing's disease : Experience of patients treated for at least 1 year at a single center." Frontiers in Endocrinology In: , Vol. 8, No. FEB, 35, 27.02.2017.
- "Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension After Surgical Treatment of Cushing Disease : Case Report and Review of Management Strategies." World Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 96, 01.12.2016, p. 611.e15-611.e18.
- "Quantitative Anterior and Posterior Clinoidectomy Analysis and Mobilization of the Oculomotor Nerve during Surgical Exposure of the Basilar Apex Using Frameless Stereotaxis." Journal of Neurological Surgery, Part B: Skull Base In: , 20.11.2016.
- "Endoscopic Endonasal Transclival Approach versus Dual Transorbital Port Technique for Clip Application to the Posterior Circulation : A Cadaveric Anatomical and Cerebral Circulation Simulation Study." Journal of Neurological Surgery, Part B: Skull Base In: , 23.10.2016.
- "Hibernation, hypothermia and a possible therapeutic "shifted homeostasis" induced by central activation of a1 adenosine receptor (A1AR)." Japanese Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology In: , Vol. 36, No. 2, 01.04.2016, p. 51-54.
- "Hibernation, Hypothermia and a Possible Therapeutic "Shifted Homeostasis" Induced by Central Activation of A1 Adenosine Receptor (A1AR)." Japanese Journal of Psychopharmacology In: , Vol. 36, No. 2, 01.04.2016, p. 51-54.
- "Dual Endoscopic Endonasal Transsphenoidal and Precaruncular Transorbital Approaches for Clipping of the Cavernous Carotid Artery : A Cadaveric Simulation." Journal of Neurological Surgery, Part B: Skull Base In: , 22.03.2016.
- "Cushing’s disease, refining the definition of remission and recurrence." The Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis in Health and Disease: Cushing's Syndrome and Beyond. Springer International Publishing, 2016. p. 225-252.
- "Patient-specific cranial nerve identification using a discrete deformable contour model for skull base neurosurgery planning and simulation." Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Vol. 9401 Springer Verlag, 2016. p. 36-44 (Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics); Vol. 9401).
- "Towards a statistical shape-aware deformable contour model for cranial nerve identification." Clinical Image-Based Procedures: Translational Research in Medical Imaging - 5th International Workshop, CLIP 2016 held in conjunction with MICCAI 2016, Proceedings. Vol. 9958 LNCS Springer Verlag, 2016. p. 68-76 (Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics); Vol. 9958 LNCS).
- "Soluble Epoxide Hydrolase in Hydrocephalus, Cerebral Edema, and Vascular Inflammation after Subarachnoid Hemorrhage." Stroke In: , Vol. 46, No. 7, 04.07.2015, p. 1916-1922.
- "Protective Role of P450 Epoxyeicosanoids in Subarachnoid Hemorrhage." Neurocritical Care In: , Vol. 22, No. 2, 2015, p. 306-319.
- "Brainstem Opioidergic System Is Involved in Early Response to Experimental SAH." Translational Stroke Research In: , Vol. 6, No. 2, 2015, p. 140-147.
- "Genetic variation in soluble epoxide hydrolase : association with outcome after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 121, No. 6, 01.12.2014, p. 1359-1366.
- "Intracisternal Administration of Tissue Plasminogen Activator Improves Cerebrospinal Fluid Flow and Cortical Perfusion After Subarachnoid Hemorrhage in Mice." Translational Stroke Research In: , Vol. 5, No. 2, 2014, p. 227-237.
- "Bilateral deep brain stimulation targeting ventralis intermedius nucleus to treat a professional musician's task-specific tremor." Movement Disorders In: , Vol. 28, No. 13, 11.2013, p. 1896-1897.
- "Delayed intracranial hypertension after cranial vault remodeling for nonsyndromic single-suture synostosis." Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics In: , Vol. 11, No. 6, 06.2013, p. 661-666.
- "The deleterious effects of methamphetamine use on initial presentation and clinical outcomes in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 117, No. 4, 10.2012, p. 781-786.
- "Steroid psychosis : A review for neurosurgeons." Journal of Neuro-Oncology In: , Vol. 109, No. 3, 09.2012, p. 439-447.
- "Preoperative identification of the facial nerve in patients with large cerebellopontine angle tumors using high-density diffusion tensor imaging : Clinical article." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 116, No. 4, 04.2012, p. 697-702.
- "Response." Journal of Neurosurgery In: , Vol. 116, No. 4, 04.2012, p. 696.