Dr. Vetto received his M.D. degree from OHSU, graduating magna cum laude (with high honors) and earning membership in the medical honor society Alpha Omega Alpha. He completed his general surgery training at Brigham and Womens Hospital (Harvard Medical School) in Boston and at the UCLA Medical Center. He performed two fellowships in surgical oncology (cancer surgery) at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland, and at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York.
Dr. Vetto then returned to OHSU where he is a now professor of surgery in the division of surgical oncology and director of the Department of Surgery cutaneous oncology program. He was one of the founding members of the OHSU Breast Program. He sees patients with melanoma, breast cancer, and sarcoma (soft tissue and muscle cancers). His research areas are in tumor immunology and cancer education.
His work in these areas has led to the publication of over 300 original scientific papers, abstracts, editorials and book chapters, more than 130 regional, national, and international invited lectureships and to extensive regional and national research grant funding. He is an active caregiver on the OHSU multidisciplinary breast cancer, and sarcoma patient care teams, and he heads the melanoma care team.
Dr. Vetto belongs to 22 professional organizations, has been a national reviewer for National Cancer Institute tumor immunology and cancer education grants, and has served as a reviewer for over 20 surgery and oncology journals. He is currently the Deputy Editor of the Journal of Cancer Education. Dr. Vetto has received multiple OHSU and national awards for education and teaching, and has co-authored the cancer questions on the last four editions of SESAP, the American College of Surgeons national practice examination for general surgeons.Read more
Areas of interest
- Clinical outcomes, multidisciplinary cancer care, cancer education and tumor immunology
- M.D., Oregon Health & Science University, Portland Oregon 1982
- General Surgery, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1984
- General Surgery, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 1989
- Clinical Associateship in Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, 1986
- Surgical Oncology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, 1991
- American Board of Surgery (1990, 2000)
- "Keratinocyte carcinomas arising near arteriovenous fistulas : Case series and safety considerations for dermatologic surgery: A report of the International Transplant Skin Cancer Collaborative." JAAD Case Reports In: , Vol. 5, No. 1, 01.01.2019, p. 7-11.
- "Epirubicin and Ifosfamide with Preoperative Radiation for High-Risk Soft Tissue Sarcomas." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 25, No. 4, 01.04.2018, p. 920-927.
- "Invited Brief Commentary : Sentinel Lymph Node Status is a Main Prognostic Parameter Needful for the Correct Staging of Patients with Melanoma Thicker than 4 mm: Single Institutional Experience and Literature Meta-analysis." Journal of Investigative Surgery In: , 06.02.2018, p. 1-2.
- "Performance of a prognostic 31-gene expression profile in an independent cohort of 523 cutaneous melanoma patients." BMC Cancer In: , Vol. 18, No. 1, 130, 05.02.2018.
- "Impact of Gene Expression Profiling on Decision-Making in Clinically Node Negative Melanoma Patients after Surgical Staging." Journal of drugs in dermatology : JDD In: , Vol. 17, No. 2, 01.02.2018, p. 196-199.
- "Thirty Years of the Journal of Cancer Education : a Review." Journal of Cancer Education In: , 27.01.2018, p. 1-4.
- "Patients with sentinel lymph node positive melanoma : Who needs completion lymph node dissection?" American Journal of Surgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Discussion : Margolick J, Wiseman SM. risk of major complications following thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy: Utility of the national surgical quality improvement program (NSQIP) surgical risk calculator." American Journal of Surgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Stratifying SLN incidence in intermediate thickness melanoma patients." American Journal of Surgery In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Identification of patients at risk of metastasis using a prognostic 31-gene expression profile in subpopulations of melanoma patients with favorable outcomes by standard criteria." Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Microsatellitosis in Patients with Melanoma." Annals of surgical oncology In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Chemoprevention agents for melanoma : a path forward into phase 3 clinical trials." Cancer In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Long-Term Survival after Complete Surgical Resection and Adjuvant Immunotherapy for Distant Melanoma Metastases." Annals of Surgical Oncology In: , Vol. 24, No. 13, 01.12.2017, p. 3991-4000.
- "Enhancing an oncologist’s recommendation to exercise to manage fatigue levels in breast cancer patients : a randomized controlled trial." Supportive Care in Cancer In: , 30.09.2017, p. 1-8.
- "Nonvisualized sentinel lymph nodes on lymphoscintigraphy in melanoma : predictive factors and surgical outcomes." Nuclear Medicine Communications In: , 24.03.2017.
- "Mohs micrographic surgery as a digit-sparing treatment for aggressive digital papillary adenocarcinoma." Dermatologic Surgery In: , Vol. 43, No. 12, 01.01.2017, p. 1487-1489.
- "Is pelvic sentinel node biopsy necessary for lower extremity and trunk melanomas?" American Journal of Surgery In: , 17.12.2016.
- "Cystic neutrophilic granulomatous mastitis : Association with gram-positive bacilli and corynebacterium." American Journal of Clinical Pathology In: , Vol. 145, No. 5, 01.05.2016, p. 635-645.
- "Hard Copy Durable Patient Cancer Education Materials : Do They Still Matter?" Journal of Cancer Education In: , 22.01.2016, p. 1-4.
- "Editorial : Colorectal Cancer Screening Education in Medically Vulnerable Populations: the Role of the Journal of Cancer Education." Journal of Cancer Education In: , Vol. 30, No. 4, 01.12.2015, p. 611-613.
- "Sulforaphane bioavailability and chemopreventive activity in women scheduled for breast biopsy." Cancer Prevention Research In: , Vol. 8, No. 12, 01.12.2015, p. 1184-1191.
- "Change, organizations, and good scouts." American Journal of Surgery In: , 19.11.2015.
- "Axillary web syndrome : An underappreciated complication of sentinel node biopsy in melanoma." American Journal of Surgery In: , 03.11.2015.
- "Reflections : Cancer Education and “The Platinum Rule”." Journal of Cancer Education In: , 05.09.2015.
- "Reflections : Surgical Education-the Times they are a-Changin’: Lessons Learned from the 3rd MAYMET-ESO Joint Meeting." Journal of Cancer Education In: , Vol. 30, No. 3, 24.04.2015, p. 411-414.
- "Merkel cell carcinoma : What makes a difference?" American Journal of Surgery In: , Vol. 209, No. 2, 01.02.2015, p. 342-346.
- "Southwest oncology group S0008 : A Phase III trial of high-dose interferon alfa-2b versus cisplatin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine, plus interleukin-2 and interferon in patients with high-risk melanoma-an intergroup study of cancer and leukemia group B, children's oncology group, eastern cooperative oncology group, and southwest oncology group." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 32, No. 33, 20.11.2014, p. 3771-3778.
- "Detailed characterization of tumor infiltrating lymphocytes in two distinct human solid malignancies show phenotypic similarities." Journal for ImmunoTherapy of Cancer In: , Vol. 2, No. 1, 38, 18.11.2014.
- "Regional control of head and neck melanoma with selective neck dissection." JAMA Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery In: , Vol. 140, No. 11, 01.11.2014, p. 1014-1018.
- "Reflections : The other half." Journal of Cancer Education In: , Vol. 29, No. 4, 01.01.2014, p. 808-809.