Dr. Mejicano has a Master’s degree in adult education from the University of Wisconsin. His educational interests include competency-based medical education and outcomes assessment. He has done research on how education can lead to improvements in medical practice and was awarded the Felch Award for Research in Continuing Medical Education by the Alliance for CME in 2002. He currently serves as the Senior Associate Dean for Education at OHSU where he oversees the entire educational portfolio – UME, GME, CME/CPD, graduate studies and faculty development – for the School of Medicine. He is the leader of OHSU’s team working on the AAMC’s pilot program studying the 13 Core Entrustable Professional Activities for Entering Residency and is the PI of a five-year, $1 million grant from the AMA’s Accelerating Change in Medical Education strategic initiative.
Dr. Mejicano has served on the Board of Directors of the ACCME and is the recipient of the Bob Razkowski “Hero Award” from that organization. He worked as a consultant for the ABMS regarding Maintenance of Certification and he served as the President of the Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Professions. He is the Chair Elect of the AMA’s Academic Physicians Section and also serves as the Chair of the Continuing Education and Improvement Section of the AAMC’s Group on Educational Affairs. In June 2017, he will begin his first term as a member of the LCME – the body that accredits allopathic medical schools in the United States. Finally, he has received numerous teaching awards from students, residents, and faculty peers, and he is a sought after speaker who has given hundreds of national and international presentations during his career on clinical and educational topics.
Areas of interest
- Competency-based Medical Education
- Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs)
- Educational Outcomes and Assessment
- Improving Patient Care through Education
- M.S., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign Illinois 1986
- M.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago Illinois 1990
- M.S., University of Wisconsin, Madison 1996
- Internal medicine, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 1993
- Infectious diseases, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 1995
- Academic Internal Medicine, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 1996
- Internal Medicine 1993-2023, diplomate
- Infectious Diseases 1996-2026, diplomate
Honors and awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Memberships and associations
- Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Professions
- American Medical Association
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Oregon Medical Association
- "Assessing learning in the adaptive curriculum." Medical Teacher In: , Vol. 40, No. 8, 03.08.2018, p. 813-819.
- "Implementing an Entrustable Professional Activities Framework in Undergraduate Medical Education : Early Lessons From the AAMC Core Entrustable Professional Activities for Entering Residency Pilot." Academic Medicine In: , 03.01.2017.
- "Fostering the Development of Master Adaptive Learners : A Conceptual Model to Guide Skill Acquisition in Medical Education." Academic Medicine In: , 16.08.2016.
- "Applying the institutional review board data repository approach to manage ethical considerations in evaluating and studying medical education." Medical Education Online In: , Vol. 21, No. 1, 32021, 2016.
- "Factors contributing to successful interorganizational collaboration : The case of CS2day." Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions In: , Vol. 31, No. SUPPL. 1, 09.2011.
- "Advancing public health through continuing education of health care professionals." Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions In: , Vol. 31, No. SUPPL. 1, 09.2011.
- "Building a competency-based curriculum : The agony and the ecstasy." Advances in Health Sciences Education In: , Vol. 15, No. 3, 2010, p. 439-454.
- "Modeling physician practice change using the Integrated Systems Model." Wisconsin Medical Journal In: , Vol. 108, No. 5, 08.2009.
- "Physician Practice Change I : A Critical Review and Description of an Integrated Systems Model." Academic Medicine In: , Vol. 84, No. 8, 08.2009, p. 1043-1055.
- "Physician Practice Change II : Implications of the Integrated Systems Model (ISM) for the Future of Continuing Medical Education." Academic Medicine In: , Vol. 84, No. 8, 08.2009, p. 1056-1065.
- "Perspective : Competency-based medical education: A defense against the four horsemen of the medical education apocalypse." Academic Medicine In: , Vol. 83, No. 12, 12.2008, p. 1132-1139.
- "Defining characteristics of educational competencies." Medical Education In: , Vol. 42, No. 3, 03.2008, p. 248-255.
- "Erratum : Web resources for antimicrobial resistance (Clinical Infectious Diseases (2007) 44, (886-887))." Clinical Infectious Diseases In: , Vol. 44, No. 10, 15.05.2007, p. 1399.
- "Web resources for antimicrobial resistance ." Clinical Infectious Diseases In: , Vol. 44, No. 6, 15.03.2007, p. 886-887.
- "Clinical decision support systems use in Wisconsin." Wisconsin Medical Journal In: , Vol. 106, No. 3, 2007, p. 126-129.
- "Distorted perceptions of competence and incompetence are more than regression effects." Advances in Health Sciences Education In: , Vol. 11, No. 3, 08.2006, p. 267-278.
- "Learning to use learning resources during medical school and residency." Journal of the Medical Library Association In: , Vol. 93, No. 2, 04.2005, p. 263-270.
- "Fungal pathogenesis : Bridging the gap between the bedside and the bench." Mycopathologia In: , Vol. 159, No. 2, 02.2005, p. 319-323.
- "Preparing for bioterrorism." Wisconsin Medical Journal In: , Vol. 101, No. 2, 2002, p. 35-36.
- "The epidemiology of physician learning." Medical Teacher In: , Vol. 24, No. 3, 2002, p. 304-312.
- "Vertebral osteomyelitis due to Candida species : Case report and literature review." Clinical Infectious Diseases In: , Vol. 33, No. 4, 15.08.2001, p. 523-530.
- "Organization development strategies for continuing medical education." The Journal of continuing education in the health professions In: , Vol. 21, No. 1, 2001, p. 15-23.
- "Infections acquired during cardiopulmonary resuscitation : Estimating the risk and defining strategies for prevention." Annals of Internal Medicine In: , Vol. 129, No. 10, 15.11.1998, p. 813-828.
- "Organoapatites : Materials for artificial bone. II. Hardening reactions and properties." Journal of Biomedical Materials Research In: , Vol. 27, No. 3, 03.1993, p. 289-299.
- "Anion channel in basolateral cortical membranes of the rabbit kidney." Mineral and Electrolyte Metabolism In: , Vol. 18, No. 6, 1992, p. 386-391.
- "Phorbol-ester is bound specifically to renal luminal membranes and stimulates the Na-H antiporter." Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology In: , Vol. 61, No. 3, 1988, p. 335-343.