Dr. Norman is a professor of medicine and director of both the Immunogenetics Laboratory and Transplant Medicine at OHSU. He has training in medicine, clinical transplantation, transplant immunology and nephrology. Dr. Norman serves as the medical director of the OHSU Kidney Transplant Program. He was a founder of the OHSU Heart Transplant Program in 1985. He has overseen the growth of the Immunogenetics Laboratory, which performs tissue typing for the six solid organ and two bone marrow transplant programs in Oregon, as its medical director since 1980.
Dr. Norman is active in several national and regional organizations. He has served as president of the Pacific Northwest Transplant Society, the United Network of Organ Sharing (UNOS) and the American Society of Transplantation. He has served on the editorial boards of eight national/international medical journals and was the 2006 recipient of the American Society of Transplantation Senior Achievement Award.
Dr. Norman has overseen an active clinical training program in Transplantation Medicine at OHSU for the past twenty years. Most of the graduates of this program are currently making contributions to transplantation at several academic transplant programs in the U.S. and abroad. He is also active in various teaching venues sponsored by the American Societies of Transplantation and Nephrology.Dr. Norman's clinical interests are kidney transplantation and immunogenetics. He is actively involved with managing kidney transplant patients in the hospitals of OHSU and the Portland VA and in the outpatient clinics.Read more
- B.A., Stanford University, Stanford California 1968
- M.D., University of Washington, Seattle Washington 1972
- Internal Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, 1972-1973
- Internal Medicine - University of California, San Francisco, 1973-1974
- Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, 1975-1976
- Nephrology - Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, 1976-1979
- Transplantation Immunology - Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, 1977-1979
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine, 1976
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Nephrology, 1978
- American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics, 1994
Honors and awards
- President, Pacific Northwest Transplant Society, 1988-1990
- President, United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), 1993-1994
- President, American Society of Transplantation, 1995-1996
Memberships and associations
- American Society of Transplantation
- American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics
- American Soceity of Nephrology
- "Kidney Biopsy Adequacy : A Metric-based Study." American Journal of Surgical Pathology In: , 05.06.2018.
- "Donor-specific antibodies require preactivated immune system to harm renal transplant." EBioMedicine In: , Vol. 9, 2016, p. 366-371.
- "Hypercoagulability in Kidney Transplant Recipients." Transplantation In: , 25.09.2015.
- "Association of Kidney Graft Loss With De Novo Produced Donor-Specific and Non-Donor-Specific HLA Antibodies Detected by Single Antigen Testing." Transplantation In: , Vol. 99, No. 9, 01.09.2015, p. 1976-1980.
- "Tacrolimus exposure in the real world : An analysis from the Mycophenolic acid Observational REnal transplant study." Clinical Transplantation In: , Vol. 28, No. 7, 2014, p. 768-775.
- "An update on the impact of pre-transplant transfusions and allosensitization on time to renal transplant and on allograft survival." BMC Nephrology In: , Vol. 14, No. 1, 217, 2013.
- "African American living-kidney donors should be screened for apol1 risk alleles." Transplantation In: , Vol. 92, No. 7, 15.10.2011, p. 722-725.
- "Glomerular fibrin thrombi in ABO and crossmatch compatible renal allograft biopsies." Pathology Research and Practice In: , Vol. 207, No. 1, 15.01.2011, p. 15-23.
- "Preserved endocrine function in a pancreas transplant recipient with pancreatic panniculitis and antibody-mediated rejection." American Journal of Transplantation In: , Vol. 10, No. 12, 12.2010, p. 2717-2722.
- "Pancreas allograft rejection : Analysis of concurrent renal allograft biopsies and posttherapy follow-up biopsies." Transplantation In: , Vol. 90, No. 1, 15.07.2010, p. 75-84.
- "United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) Organ Allocation Policy and Kidney Utilization." American Journal of Kidney Diseases In: , Vol. 56, No. 1, 07.2010, p. 7-9.
- "Erratum : Promotion of altruistic donation (Transplantation (2009) (847))." Transplantation In: , Vol. 88, No. 9, 11.2009, p. 1145-1147.
- "Promotion of altruistic donation." Transplantation In: , Vol. 88, No. 6, 2009, p. 847.
- "Late steroid withdrawal and cardiovascular events in kidney transplant recipients." Transplantation In: , Vol. 86, No. 12, 27.12.2008, p. 1844-1848.
- "Long-term kidney regraft survival from deceased donors : Risk factors and outcomes in a single center." Transplantation In: , Vol. 86, No. 8, 27.10.2008, p. 1084-1089.
- "A novel DRB1*04 allele." Tissue Antigens In: , Vol. 70, No. 1, 07.2007, p. 76-78.
- "Two years postconversion from a prograf-based regimen to a once-daily tacrolimus extended-release formulation in stable kidney transplant recipients." Transplantation In: , Vol. 83, No. 12, 06.2007, p. 1648-1651.
- "14th International HLA and Immunogenetics Workshop : Report on the Prospective Chronic Rejection Project." Tissue Antigens In: , Vol. 69, No. SUPPL. 1, 04.2007, p. 174-179.
- "14th International HLA and Immunogenetics Workshop Prospective Chronic Rejection Project : a three-year follow-up analysis." Clinical transplants In: , 2007, p. 255-260.
- "Cardiovascular events following renal transplantation : Role of traditional and transplant-specific risk factors." Kidney International In: , Vol. 70, No. 4, 28.08.2006, p. 757-764.
- "Kidney paired donation : A single-center study of feasibility and outcomes: Commentary." Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology In: , Vol. 2, No. 6, 21.06.2006, p. 302-303.
- "Tularemia in a renal transplant recipient." Clinical transplants In: , 2006, p. 574-575.
- "The kidney transplant wait-list : Allocation of patients to a limited supply of organs." Seminars in Dialysis In: , Vol. 18, No. 6, 11.2005, p. 456-459.
- "Strategies to increase living donor kidney transplants." Urology In: , Vol. 66, No. 5 SUPPL., 11.2005, p. 43-46.
- "Living unrelated donor renal transplantation : A single center experience." Journal of Urology In: , Vol. 174, No. 1, 07.2005, p. 223-225.
- "Conversion of stable kidney transplant recipients from a twice daily prograf-based regimen to a once daily modified release tacrolimus-based regimen." Transplantation Proceedings In: , Vol. 37, No. 2, 03.2005, p. 867-870.
- "Autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease as a risk factor for diabetes mellitus following renal transplantation." Kidney International In: , Vol. 67, No. 2, 02.2005, p. 714-720.
- "Factors associated with improvement in deceased donor renal allograft function in the 1990s." Journal of the American Society of Nephrology In: , Vol. 16, No. 5, 2005, p. 1512-1521.
- "Kidney and pancreas transplantation." American Journal of Transplantation In: , Vol. 4, No. SUPPL. 9, 07.2004, p. 72-80.
- "Effect of Donor Recipient Age Match on Survival after First Deceased Donor Renal Transplantation." Journal of the American Society of Nephrology In: , Vol. 15, No. 4, 04.2004, p. 1086-1091.