Dr. Bhamidipati is an assistant professor of cardiothoracic surgery at OHSU. He offers surgery to patients with adult cardiovascular diseases, including coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease, heart failure, and diseases of the thoracic aorta. His areas of particular clinical interest include complex aortic and adult congenital heart disease, and surgery for heart failure including mechanical circulatory assist devices and heart transplantation.
Dr. Bhamidipati was raised in India and moved to Virginia as a teenager. He completed the honors program as a Commonwealth Scholar in Health Sciences graduating as Virginia Tech’s Man of the Year. He went on to serve as a firefighter/paramedic for the City of Roanoke on the tactical rescue team for several years. Dr. Bhamidipati attended medical school in Maine and graduated with highest honors in 2006. He represented his class as president and student body on the Boards of Trustees.
During his general surgery training at the State University of New York (SUNY) Upstate Medical University, Dr. Bhamidipati dedicated three years to understanding the development of aortic aneurysms at the University of Virginia. There his clinical research was recognized with the Hawley H. Seiler MD Residents Award, and his basic science discoveries earned him a Ph.D. in physiology. At SUNY Upstate, as the administrative chief resident in surgery he also received the top teaching award. He completed his training as chief resident at the University of Washington in cardiothoracic surgery.
Dr. Bhamidipati is a member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, American Heart Association, and the Western Thoracic Surgical Association.Read more
- B.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg Virginia 1998
- D.O., University of New England, Biddeford Maine 2006
- M.Sc., University of Virginia, Charlottesville Virginia 2011
- Ph.D., University of Virginia, Charlottesville Virginia 2012
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Washington, 2017
- General Surgery, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 2015
- Fellow, Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award, University of Virginia, 2009
- Board Certified: American Board of Thoracic Surgery
Memberships and associations
- American Medical Association
- American Osteopathic Association
- American College of Surgeons
- Association of Academic Surgery
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Society of Vascular Surgery
- American Heart/Stroke Association
- Western Thoracic Surgical Association