Bruce M. Wolfe, M.D., is a graduate of Stanford University and the St. Louis University School of Medicine. His surgical training was completed at St. Louis University with an additional fellowship at Harvard Medical School. He is board-certified in Surgery as well as Obesity Medicine. Relocating to OHSU from the University of California, Davis in 2005, Dr. Wolfe has continued to devote his career to surgical nutrition and the treatment of obesity. Dr. Wolfe's research interests lie at the intersection of surgical outcomes of obesity and health policy as it relates to obesity treatment coverage. He chaired an NIH-funded research consortium studying the clinical, epidemiological, and behavioral outcomes of bariatric surgery, known as the Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery. He has served as Co-Chair of the Advocacy Committee of The Obesity Society. Dr. Wolfe is also involved in Oregon's coordination of obesity treatment coverage policies under Medicaid, providing expert testimony that champions comprehensive guidelines and quality improvement. Dr. Wolfe's local and national policy efforts of expanding obesity treatment, as well as numerous ongoing research projects and mentorship of doctoral students, underscore Dr. Wolfe's dedication to upstream efforts to prevent and ameliorate obesity and related sequelae.
Areas of interest
- Bariatric Surgery
- Surgical nutrition
- Treatment of obesity
- M.D., St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis Missouri 1967
- General Surgery, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1973
- Research Fellow in Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, MA, 1977
- American Board of Surgery, 1974
Honors and awards
- 2016 | Lifetime Outstanding Achievement Award, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Memberships and associations
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American College of Surgeons
- American Institute of Nutrition
- American Medical Association
- American Obesity Association
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Past-President
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Past-President 2010-2011
- American Surgical Association
- Mackenzie Society
- National Association of Vascular Access Networks
- National Foundation for Ileitis and Colitis, Inc.
- North American Association for the Study of Obesity
- Pacific Coast Surgical Association
- Pancreas Club
- Portland Surgical Society
- Sigma Xi
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Society of University Surgeons
- Western Surgical Association
- "Insurance status differences in weight loss and regain over 5 years following bariatric surgery." International Journal of Obesity In: , 11.06.2018, p. 1-10.
- "Serum biomarkers of inflammation and adiposity in the LABS cohort : associations with metabolic disease and surgical outcomes." International Journal of Obesity In: , 17.05.2018, p. 1-12.
- "Resting Metabolic Rate, Total Daily Energy Expenditure, and Metabolic Adaptation 6 Months and 24 Months After Bariatric Surgery." Obesity In: , Vol. 26, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. 862-868.
- "Seven-year weight trajectories and health outcomes in the Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) study." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 153, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. 427-434.
- "Effect of bariatric surgery on CKD risk." Journal of the American Society of Nephrology In: , Vol. 29, No. 4, 01.04.2018, p. 1289-1300.
- "The science of obesity management : An endocrine society scientific statement." Endocrine Reviews In: , Vol. 39, No. 2, 01.04.2018, p. 79-132.
- "Weighing in on Bariatric Surgery : Effectiveness Among Medicaid Beneficiaries—Limited Evidence and Future Research Needs." Obesity In: , Vol. 26, No. 3, 01.03.2018, p. 463-473.
- "Prospective evaluation of insulin and incretin dynamics in obese adults with and without diabetes for 2 years after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass." Diabetologia In: , 10.02.2018, p. 1-13.
- "Proceedings of the 2017 ASPEN Research Workshop—Gastric Bypass : Role of the Gut." Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition In: , Vol. 42, No. 2, 01.02.2018, p. 279-295.
- "Contraception and Conception After Bariatric Surgery." Obstetrics and gynecology In: , Vol. 130, No. 5, 01.11.2017, p. 979-987.
- "It’s about the weight loss." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 152, No. 11, 01.11.2017.
- "Editorial comment : Obesity in America." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , Vol. 13, No. 10, 01.10.2017, p. 1650-1651.
- "Paired editorial for perioperative complications after bariatric surgery according to the clavien-dindo classification." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , Vol. 13, No. 9, 01.09.2017, p. 1561.
- "Micronutrient Deficiencies after Bariatric Surgery : An Emphasis on Vitamins and Trace Minerals." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 4, 01.08.2017, p. 471-480.
- "Use of prescribed opioids before and after bariatric surgery : Prospective evidence from a U.S. multicenter cohort study." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , 31.03.2017.
- "Alcohol and other substance use after bariatric surgery : Prospective evidence from a U.S. multicenter cohort study." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , 17.01.2017.
- "Commentary on EndoVators summit white paper." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , 2017.
- "The impact of different surgical techniques on outcomes in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomies : The first report from the metabolic and bariatric surgery accreditation and quality improvement program (MBSAQIP)." Annals of Surgery In: , Vol. 264, No. 3, 01.09.2016, p. 464-471.
- "Two-Year Outcomes of Vagal Nerve Blocking (vBloc) for the Treatment of Obesity in the ReCharge Trial." Obesity Surgery In: , 10.08.2016, p. 1-8.
- "Postoperative behavioral variables and weight change 3 years after bariatric surgery." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 151, No. 8, 01.08.2016, p. 752-757.
- "Type 2 diabetes remission rates after laparoscopic gastric bypass and gastric banding : Results of the longitudinal assessment of bariatric surgery study." Diabetes Care In: , Vol. 39, No. 7, 01.07.2016, p. 22-28.
- "Clinical outcomes of metabolic surgery : Efficacy of glycemic control, weight loss, and remission of diabetes." Diabetes Care In: , Vol. 39, No. 6, 01.06.2016, p. 902-911.
- "Bariatric/metabolic surgery for diabetes : Incorporating a powerful treatment into standard care." Obesity In: , Vol. 24, No. 6, 01.06.2016, p. 1205-1206.
- "Editor's Note." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , Vol. 12, No. 5, 01.06.2016.
- "Treatment of obesity." Circulation Research In: , Vol. 118, No. 11, 27.05.2016, p. 1844-1855.
- "Effect of Vagal Nerve Blockade on Moderate Obesity with an Obesity-Related Comorbid Condition : the ReCharge Study." Obesity Surgery In: , Vol. 26, No. 5, 01.05.2016, p. 983-989.
- "Distance of the internal central venous catheter tip from the right atrium is positively correlated with central venous thrombosis." Emergency Radiology In: , 25.04.2016, p. 1-5.
- "Change in pain and physical function following bariatric surgery for severe obesity." JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association In: , Vol. 315, No. 13, 05.04.2016, p. 1362-1371.
- "Is bariatric surgery an effective treatment for type II diabetic kidney disease?" Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology In: , Vol. 11, No. 3, 07.03.2016, p. 528-535.
- "Objectively-measured sedentary time and cardiometabolic health in adults with severe obesity." Preventive Medicine In: , Vol. 84, 01.03.2016, p. 12-18.