Bruce M. Wolfe, M.D., is a graduate of Stanford University and the St. Louis University School of Medicine. His surgical training was completed at St. Louis University with an additional fellowship at Harvard Medical School. He is board-certified in Surgery as well as Obesity Medicine. Relocating to OHSU from the University of California, Davis in 2005, Dr. Wolfe has continued to devote his career to surgical nutrition and the treatment of obesity. Dr. Wolfe's research interests lie at the intersection of surgical outcomes of obesity and health policy as it relates to obesity treatment coverage. He chaired an NIH-funded research consortium studying the clinical, epidemiological, and behavioral outcomes of bariatric surgery, known as the Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery. He has served as Co-Chair of the Advocacy Committee of The Obesity Society. Dr. Wolfe is also involved in Oregon's coordination of obesity treatment coverage policies under Medicaid, providing expert testimony that champions comprehensive guidelines and quality improvement. Dr. Wolfe's local and national policy efforts of expanding obesity treatment, as well as numerous ongoing research projects and mentorship of doctoral students, underscore Dr. Wolfe's dedication to upstream efforts to prevent and ameliorate obesity and related sequelae.
Areas of interest
- Bariatric Surgery
- Surgical nutrition
- Treatment of obesity
- M.D., St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis Missouri 1967
- General Surgery, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 1973
- Research Fellow in Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, MA, 1977
- American Board of Surgery, 1974
Honors and awards
- 2016 | Lifetime Outstanding Achievement Award, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Memberships and associations
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American College of Surgeons
- American Institute of Nutrition
- American Medical Association
- American Obesity Association
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Past-President
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Past-President 2010-2011
- American Surgical Association
- Mackenzie Society
- National Association of Vascular Access Networks
- National Foundation for Ileitis and Colitis, Inc.
- North American Association for the Study of Obesity
- Pacific Coast Surgical Association
- Pancreas Club
- Portland Surgical Society
- Sigma Xi
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Society of University Surgeons
- Western Surgical Association
- "Pcornet bariatric surgery outcomes : Strength in numbers." Annals of internal medicine In: , Vol. 169, No. 11, 04.12.2018, p. 806-807.
- "Association of Obesity Subtypes in the Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery Study and 3-Year Postoperative Weight Change." Obesity In: , Vol. 26, No. 12, 01.12.2018, p. 1931-1937.
- "Reduction in comorbid conditions over 5 years following bariatric surgery in medicaid and commercially insured patients." Obesity In: , Vol. 26, No. 11, 01.11.2018, p. 1807-1814.
- "Risk factors for early postoperative complications after bariatric surgery." Annals of Surgical Treatment and Research In: , Vol. 95, No. 2, 01.08.2018, p. 94-99.
- "Insurance status differences in weight loss and regain over 5 years following bariatric surgery." International Journal of Obesity In: , 11.06.2018, p. 1-10.
- "Serum biomarkers of inflammation and adiposity in the LABS cohort : associations with metabolic disease and surgical outcomes." International Journal of Obesity In: , 17.05.2018, p. 1-12.
- "Resting Metabolic Rate, Total Daily Energy Expenditure, and Metabolic Adaptation 6 Months and 24 Months After Bariatric Surgery." Obesity In: , Vol. 26, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. 862-868.
- "Seven-year weight trajectories and health outcomes in the Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) study." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 153, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. 427-434.
- "The Interface of Pancreatic Cancer With Diabetes, Obesity, and Inflammation : Research Gaps and Opportunities: Summary of a National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Workshop." Pancreas In: , Vol. 47, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. 516-525.
- "Effect of bariatric surgery on CKD risk." Journal of the American Society of Nephrology In: , Vol. 29, No. 4, 01.04.2018, p. 1289-1300.
- "The science of obesity management : An endocrine society scientific statement." Endocrine Reviews In: , Vol. 39, No. 2, 01.04.2018, p. 79-132.
- "Weighing in on Bariatric Surgery : Effectiveness Among Medicaid Beneficiaries—Limited Evidence and Future Research Needs." Obesity In: , Vol. 26, No. 3, 01.03.2018, p. 463-473.
- "Prospective evaluation of insulin and incretin dynamics in obese adults with and without diabetes for 2 years after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass." Diabetologia In: , 10.02.2018, p. 1-13.
- "Proceedings of the 2017 ASPEN Research Workshop—Gastric Bypass : Role of the Gut." Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition In: , Vol. 42, No. 2, 01.02.2018, p. 279-295.
- "Psychosocial functioning and quality of life in patients with loose redundant skin 4 to 5 years after bariatric surgery." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Contraception and Conception After Bariatric Surgery." Obstetrics and Gynecology In: , Vol. 130, No. 5, 01.11.2017, p. 979-987.
- "It’s about the weight loss." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 152, No. 11, 01.11.2017.
- "Editorial comment : Obesity in America." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , Vol. 13, No. 10, 01.10.2017, p. 1650-1651.
- "Paired editorial for perioperative complications after bariatric surgery according to the clavien-dindo classification." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , Vol. 13, No. 9, 01.09.2017, p. 1561.
- "Micronutrient Deficiencies after Bariatric Surgery : An Emphasis on Vitamins and Trace Minerals." Nutrition in Clinical Practice In: , Vol. 32, No. 4, 01.08.2017, p. 471-480.
- "Cost-effectiveness analysis of <vagal nerve blocking for morbid obesity." The American journal of managed care In: , Vol. 23, No. 8, 01.08.2017, p. e245-e252.
- "Use of prescribed opioids before and after bariatric surgery : Prospective evidence from a U.S. multicenter cohort study." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , 31.03.2017.
- "Alcohol and other substance use after bariatric surgery : Prospective evidence from a U.S. multicenter cohort study." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , 17.01.2017.
- "Commentary on EndoVators summit white paper." Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases In: , 2017.
- "The impact of different surgical techniques on outcomes in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomies : The first report from the metabolic and bariatric surgery accreditation and quality improvement program (MBSAQIP)." Annals of Surgery In: , Vol. 264, No. 3, 01.09.2016, p. 464-471.
- "Two-Year Outcomes of Vagal Nerve Blocking (vBloc) for the Treatment of Obesity in the ReCharge Trial." Obesity Surgery In: , 10.08.2016, p. 1-8.
- "Postoperative behavioral variables and weight change 3 years after bariatric surgery." JAMA Surgery In: , Vol. 151, No. 8, 01.08.2016, p. 752-757.
- "Type 2 diabetes remission rates after laparoscopic gastric bypass and gastric banding : Results of the longitudinal assessment of bariatric surgery study." Diabetes Care In: , Vol. 39, No. 7, 01.07.2016, p. 22-28.
- "Clinical outcomes of metabolic surgery : Efficacy of glycemic control, weight loss, and remission of diabetes." Diabetes Care In: , Vol. 39, No. 6, 01.06.2016, p. 902-911.
- "Bariatric/metabolic surgery for diabetes : Incorporating a powerful treatment into standard care." Obesity In: , Vol. 24, No. 6, 01.06.2016, p. 1205-1206.