Dr. Brandon Hayes-Lattinserves as Professor of Medicine and Medical Director in the Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology at Oregon Health and Science University, and Medical Director of the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute’s Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Oncology Program. His clinical background is in the management of hematologic malignancies and the use of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. As a young adult cancer survivor himself, and a physician caring for many young adults with hematologic malignancies, Dr. Hayes-Lattin has taken a leadership role in the development of the discipline of AYA Oncology. He has served as the Senior Medical Advisor to the LIVESTRONG Foundation, the Chief Medical Officer for Critical Mass: The Young Adult Cancer Alliance, the inaugural Chair of the AYA Committee for SWOG, participated on the expert advisory panel to the Children’s Oncology Group AYA Committee, and was a member of the CDC’s Federal Advisory Committee on Breast Cancer in Young Women.
- B.S., Stanford University 1992
- M.D., University of Washington, 0 1997
- Oregon Health & Science University, 2000
- Adult bone marrow transplant, Oregon Health & Science University, 2001
Honors and awards
- Oncology Professional Award, The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults
- Faculty Award, The OHSU Student Council
- Teaching Certificate of Appreciation, Division of Physician Assistant Education
- Medical House Staff Teaching Award
- John S. Miller Award for Outstanding Teaching
Memberships and associations
- American Society of Hematology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- "Reduced Intensity Conditioning Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia; Current Evidence, and Improving Outcomes Going Forward." Current Hematologic Malignancy Reports In: , 14.07.2018, p. 1-12.
- "Pediatric-inspired treatment regimens for adolescents and young adults with philadelphia chromosome–negative acute lymphoblastic leukemia : A review." JAMA oncology In: , Vol. 4, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. 725-734.
- "A randomized, placebo-controlled pilot trial of aprepitant combined with standard antiemetic therapy for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing cyclophosphamide-based conditioning regimens prior to hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT)." Bone Marrow Transplantation In: , 20.02.2018, p. 1-9.
- "Cancer in adolescents and young adults : Who remains at risk of poor social functioning over time?" Cancer In: , Vol. 123, No. 14, 15.07.2017, p. 2743-2751.
- "Personality Traits and Health-Related Quality of Life among Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Patients : The Role of Psychological Distress." Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology In: , Vol. 6, No. 2, 01.06.2017, p. 358-362.
- "Posttraumatic growth and well-being among adolescents and young adults (AYAs) with cancer : a longitudinal study." Supportive Care in Cancer In: , 19.04.2017, p. 1-10.
- "Health-related quality of life in adolescent and young adult patients with cancer : A longitudinal study." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 35, No. 6, 20.02.2017, p. 652-659.
- "Health-Related Quality of Life among Older Related Hematopoietic Stem Cell Donors (>60 Years) Is Equivalent to That of Younger Related Donors (18 to 60 Years) : A Related Donor Safety Study." Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 23, No. 1, 01.01.2017, p. 165-171.
- "Sexual functioning among young adult cancer patients : A 2-year longitudinal study." Cancer In: , 01.01.2017.
- "Patient-centered communication between adolescent and young adult cancer survivors and their healthcare providers : Identifying research gaps with a scoping review." Patient Education and Counseling In: , 2017.
- "Testicular Cancer." Pediatric Oncology. 9783319336770. ed. Springer Verlag, 2017. p. 307-318 (Pediatric Oncology; No. 9783319336770).
- "Targeting BCL-2 and ABL/LYN in Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia." Science Translational Medicine In: , Vol. 8, No. 354, 354ra114, 31.08.2016.
- "Next steps for adolescent and young adult oncology workshop : An update on progress and recommendations for the future." Cancer In: , Vol. 122, No. 7, 01.04.2016, p. 988-999.
- "Biologic and clinical characteristics of adolescent and young adult cancers : Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, and sarcoma." Cancer In: , Vol. 122, No. 7, 01.04.2016, p. 1017-1028.
- "Functional and genetic screening of acute myeloid leukemia associated with mediastinal germ cell tumor identifies MEK inhibitor as an active clinical agent." Journal of Hematology and Oncology In: , Vol. 9, No. 1, 31, 2016.
- "Chronic GvHD-associated serositis and pericarditis." Bone Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 50, No. 8, 08.08.2015, p. 1098-1104.
- "Inclusion of Adolescents and Young Adults in Cancer Clinical Trials." Seminars in Oncology Nursing In: , Vol. 31, No. 3, 01.08.2015, p. 197-205.
- "If you did not document it, it did not happen : Rates of documentation of discussion of infertility risk in adolescent and young adult oncology patients' medical records." Journal of Oncology Practice In: , Vol. 11, No. 2, 01.03.2015, p. 137-144.
- "Identifying and addressing theneeds of adolescents and young adults with cancer : Summary of an institute of medicineworkshop." Oncologist In: , Vol. 20, No. 2, 07.01.2015, p. 186-195.
- "Nonmyeloablative allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant for the treatment of patients with hematologic malignancies using busulfan, fludarabine, and total body irradiation conditioning is effective in an elderly and infirm population." Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 21, No. 1, 01.01.2015, p. 89-96.
- "The relationship between posttraumatic stress and posttraumatic growth among adolescent and young adult (AYA) cancer patients." Psycho-Oncology In: , Vol. 24, No. 2, 2015, p. 162-168.
- "Psychological distress and unsatisfied need for psychosocial support in adolescent and young adult cancer patients during the first year following diagnosis." Psycho-Oncology In: , Vol. 23, No. 11, 01.11.2014, p. 1267-1275.
- "Improving enrollment in clinical trials for adolescents with cancer." Pediatrics In: , Vol. 133, No. SUPPL. 3, 01.06.2014.
- "Improved outcome with busulfan, melphalan and thiotepa conditioning in autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant for relapsed/refractory Hodgkin lymphoma." Leukemia and Lymphoma In: , Vol. 55, No. 3, 03.2014, p. 583-587.
- "Active surveillance is the preferred approach to clinical stage i testicular cancer." Journal of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 31, No. 28, 01.10.2013, p. 3490-3493.
- "Autologous haematopoietic cell transplantation for non-Hodgkin lymphoma with secondary CNS involvement." British Journal of Haematology In: , Vol. 162, No. 5, 09.2013, p. 648-656.
- "Prevalence and predictors of post-traumatic stress symptoms in adolescent and young adult cancer survivors : A 1-year follow-up study." Psycho-Oncology In: , Vol. 22, No. 8, 08.2013, p. 1798-1806.
- "Physician perceptions and practice patterns regarding fertility preservation in hematopoietic cell transplant recipients." Bone Marrow Transplantation In: , Vol. 48, No. 8, 08.2013, p. 1091-1097.
- "Trajectories of psychological distress in adolescent and young adult patients with cancer : a 1-year longitudinal study." Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology In: , Vol. 31, No. 17, 10.06.2013, p. 2160-2166.
- "Psychosocial service use and unmet need among recently diagnosed adolescent and young adult cancer patients." Cancer In: , Vol. 119, No. 1, 01.01.2013, p. 201-214.