Ann Nielsen has been on faculty at the School of Nursing, Portland Campus, since 2001. She is the Director of the Undergraduate Program on the Portland Campus. Her clinical and teaching focus includes neonatal, pediatric, and perinatal nursing care. Academic interests include curricular and clinical design, concept-based learning in the clinical environment, use of reflection in student learning, and educational assessment and evaluation. Practice interests include development of academic practice partnerships that further improvement in nursing education and patient care.
- B.S.N., Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland Oregon 1990
- M.S.N., Washington State University, Vancouver Washington 2001
- Ph.D., University of Northern Colorado, Greeley Colorado 2013
- "A framework to support preceptors' evaluation and development of new nurses' clinical judgment." Nurse Education in Practice In: , Vol. 19, 01.07.2016, p. 84-90.
- "Concept-based learning in clinical experiences : Bringing theory to clinical education for deep learning." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 55, No. 7, 01.07.2016, p. 365-371.
- "Becoming a nurse role formation among accelerated baccalaureate students." Nurse Educator In: , Vol. 40, No. 1, 12.12.2015, p. 26-30.
- "Evaluating the clinical judgment of newly hired staff nurses." Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing In: , Vol. 46, No. 12, 01.12.2015, p. 563-571.
- "Preparing nursing students for the future : An innovative approach to clinical education." Nurse Education in Practice In: , Vol. 13, No. 4, 07.2013, p. 301-309.
- "Global Partnerships for Professional Development : A Cambodian Exemplar." Journal of Professional Nursing In: , Vol. 28, No. 1, 01.2012, p. 62-68.
- "Concept-based learning activities using the clinical judgment model as a foundation for clinical learning." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 48, No. 6, 06.2009, p. 350-354.
- "Reflective journaling for clinical judgment development and evaluation." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 48, No. 1, 01.2009, p. 40-44.
- "The influence of concept-based learning activities on students' clinical judgment development." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 48, No. 8, 2009, p. 441-446.
- "Guide for reflection using the clinical judgment model." Journal of Nursing Education In: , Vol. 46, No. 11, 11.2007, p. 513-516.