B.S., Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology 2006
Ph.D., Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology 2011
My research focuses on the health effect of environmental pollutants such as particulate matter. Air pollution has been confirmed as an important risk factor for global mortality and cardiovascular disease. Our current projects aim to investigate the underlying mechanisms by which air pollutants promotes diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. The laboratory utilizes the state-of-the-art whole body mouse exposure systems and various molecular, physiologic, immunologic, and imaging approaches to dissect the role of inflammatory regulation and lipid oxidation in air pollution-associated cardiometabolic diseases.
- Ramanathan M Jr, London NR Jr, Tharakan A, Surya N, Sussan TE, Rao X, Lin SY, Toskala E, Rajagopalan S, Biswal S. Airborne Particulate Matter Induces Non-allergic Eosinophilic Sinonasal Inflammation in Mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2017;57(1):59-65.
- Munzel T, Sørensen M, Gori T, Schmidt FP, Rao X, Brook J, Chen LC, Brook RD, Rajagopalan S. Environmental stressors and cardio-metabolic disease: part II-mechanistic insights. Eur Heart J. 2017;38(8):557-564.
- Munzel T, Sørensen M, Gori T, Schmidt FP, Rao X, Brook J, Chen LC, Brook RD, Rajagopalan S. Environmental stressors and cardio-metabolic disease: part I-epidemiologic evidence supporting a role for noise and air pollution and effects of mitigation strategies. Eur Heart J. 2017;38(8):550-556.
- Kankanala SR, Syed R, Gong Q, Ren BX, Rao X*, Zhong J*. Cardiovascular Safety of Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 inhibitors: Recent Evidence on Heart Failure. Am J Transl Res. 2016; 8(5):2450-2458.
- Brook RD, Sun Z, Brook JR, Zhao X, Ruan Y, Yan J, Mukherjee B, Rao X, Duan F, Sun L, Liang R, Lian H, Zhang S, Fang Q, Gu D, Sun Q, Fan Z, Rajagopalan S. Extreme Air Pollution Conditions Adversely Affect Blood Pressure and Insulin Resistance: The Air Pollution and Cardiometabolic Disease Study. Hypertension. 2016;67(1):77-85.
- Rao X, Montresor-Lopez J, Puett R, Rajagopalan S, Brook RD. Ambient Air Pollution: An Emerging Risk Factor for Diabetes Mellitus. Curr Diab Rep. 2015;15(6):603.
- Rao X, Patel P, Puett R, Rajagopalan S. Air pollution as a risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Toxicol Sci. 2015;143(2):231-41.
- Rao X, Zhong J, Maiseyeu A, Gopalakrishnan B, Villamena FA, Chen LC, Harkema JR, Sun Q, Rajagopalan S. CD36-dependent 7-ketocholesterol accumulation in macrophages mediates progression of atherosclerosis in response to chronic air pollution exposure. Circ Res. 2014;115(9):770-80.
- Liu C, Xu X, Bai Y, Wang TY, Rao X, Wang A, Sun L, Ying Z, Gushchina L, Maiseyeu A, Morishita M, Sun Q, Harkema JR, Rajagopalan S. Air pollution-mediated susceptibility to inflammation and insulin resistance: Influence of ccr2 pathways in mice. Environ Health Perspect. 2014. 122(1): 17-26
- Zhong J, Rao X, Braunstein Z, Taylor A, Narula V, Hazey J, Mikami D, Needleman B, Rutsky J, Sun Q, Deiuliis JA, Satoskar AR, Rajagopalan S. T cell costimulation protects obesity-induced adipose inflammation and insulin resistance. Diabetes. 2014. 63(4):1289-302