Bringing Total Worker Health into the community
The Oregon Healthy Workforce Center's Outreach Core aims:
- Create sustainable partnerships and networks with employers, associations, unions, and community-based organizations.
- Facilitate effective translation of research to practice, and create packaged toolkits resulting from OHWC research interventions to be disseminated among partners, stakeholders, and supporters.
- Expand our reach to include new community-based organizations, small businesses, and vulnerable work sectors.
- Develop and provide educational opportunities on new and relevant topics pertaining to Total Worker Health.
- Expand our digital strategy to deliver our products and services in an accessible way.
The Outreach Core consists of four components:
- Outreach Central
- Education Launcher
- Intervention Incubator
- Dissemination Engine
Read more about each of the Outreach Core components, and our upcoming events below.
Led by Dede Montgomery, CIH
Stimulates and broadens regional impact of Total Worker Health®
Outreach Central fosters the essence of our communication with our partners and stakeholders, while channeling a flow of contacts and connections to the other arms of the Outreach Core. We aim to create sustainable partnerships, help translate our packaged evidence-based products to stakeholders, expand our reach to include new industry partners, educate audiences on Total Worker Health (TWH) topics, expand our digital strategy, and maximize their reach, utilization, and effectiveness.
Outreach central key activities:
- Oregon and the Workplace Blog and monthly newsletter
- Social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Face-to-face contact through presentations at key events and conferences
- Promoting Total Worker Health resources at conferences
- Development of community partnerships (i.e. ASSP, AOHP, Oregon Total Worker Health® Alliance)
- Websites and online resources (i.e. Resource directory, OHWC website)
Led by Ryan Olson, PhD
Foster exchange of ideas; develop steady stream of Total Worker Health® interventions
Intervention Incubator is a new component of the Outreach Core. The aim of this effort is to generate new intervention ideas, research directions, and partnerships within the Oregon Healthy Workforce Center. Our programs address the Outreach Core’s aims to engage our current partners and outreach networks to help generate and test new intervention ideas from stakeholder groups and respond with evidence-based products for dissemination. In doing so, we will also expand our reach to include new work sectors.
Intervention incubator key activities include:
Led by Leslie Hammer, PhD
Activates dissemination channels through collaborative efforts between OHWC & Industry partners
A new component of the Outreach Core is our Dissemination Engine. These efforts will help us actively disseminate and translate evidence-based trainings, tools, and approaches developed and evaluated by OHWC researchers. The purpose of the Dissemination Engine is to activate channels for sharing our intervention work with the goal of maximizing the Center's THW impact. These efforts are coordinated and implemented by Dissemination Liaison, Helen Schuckers, MPH. While publishing in the academic and practitioner-related arena remains a focus of the dissemination engine, our multifaceted approach will create sustainable community partnerships to help identify dissemination avenues, translate and disseminate our packaged evidence-based tools and toolkits within the community. We will measure our reach, utilization, and effectiveness in practice to further expand our regional reach and impact.
Dissemination engine key activities:
- Dissemination of tools and toolkits through collaborative efforts with regional and national community partners and professional groups
- Developing sustainable and effective dissemination platform. Visit YourWorkpath.com
- Evaluate and report intervention dissemination effectiveness that can help scientists improve future intervention design
- Dissemination guidance from the Center’s External Advisory Committee
- Workplace safety, health and well-being podcast, "What's Work Got To Do With It"
Led by Anjali Rameshbabu, PhD
Stimulates opportunities for Total Worker Health® education & research within interdisciplinary field; training Total Worker Health (TWH) practitioners and champions
The Education Launcher focuses on widening our reach and impact through TWH education. Education Launcher will help further the Outreach Core’s goals to enhance TWH interventions, disseminate and translate them within the community, and in turn, serve to expand our TWH education reach and impact. Education Launcher programs will provide opportunities for TWH education and intervention research expertise in the community by leveraging our existing networks, partnerships, and connections. In conjunction with the other components.
Education launcher key activities:
Our Events and News
- Outreach and Education Director, Dede Montgomery was a guest last speaker in a webinar for Convergence Training on fatigue in the workplace.
- Join us at a conference. See our calendar on our institute homepage.
- Registration information for our 2020 Spring Symposia on, "Workplace Aggression: A deeper dive" is coming soon. Our 2019 Fall Symposia webinar recordings for "Substance Use and the Workplace" are now available.
- Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences (where OHWC is housed), Oregon OSHA, and SAIF Corporation have signed an alliance to join efforts to expand the knowledge and efforts of Total Worker Health®.
Visit Oregon and the Workplace blog, and subscribe today. Featured blog posts: