OHSU Library Nonfiction Contest
The OHSU Library invites submissions for its first Nonfiction Essay contest! OHSU students, staff, faculty, alumni and volunteers are invited to submit one or two original, unpublished nonfiction works. The deadline for submissions is March 1st, 2019.
Submissions will be judged by a group of OHSU staff. The authors of the winning nonfiction pieces will be recognized on the OHSU Library website and will have an opportunity to read their work at our Poetry Contest recognition event hosted by the OHSU Library in April 10, 2019.
Nonfiction submission guidelines:
- Creative nonfiction, nonfiction, and/or essays must be written in English and cannot exceed 2,500 words. A maximum of two contributions per author will be accepted. Please follow HIPAA and privacy guidelines. Works that contain PHI will be rejected.
- A panel of judges will identify up to three pieces of writing for prizes and recognition, with special consideration in the following categories:
- OHSU experience – What do you see every day? Where do you work? How are you learning?
- Artistic excellence – Quality of word choice, flow of ideas, creativity, impact, unique expression, and poetic form.
- Education, Research, and Health Care – Thematic focus on these concepts in life/work/culture.
- A selected author may receive a $75 gift card prize.
To submit a work of nonfiction, please send the following to email@example.com:
- A cover page with your contact information (author’s name, OHSU affiliation, phone number, and email) and essay title(s).
- Your nonfiction pieces(s) as a Word or PDF attachment. Your name should NOT appear on your work, as this facilitates the blind judging process.
- Please use “Nonfiction Contest” as the subject line of your e-mail.
The authors of the winning nonfiction pieces will be recognized on the OHSU Library website and will have an opportunity to read their work at our Poetry Contest recognition event hosted by the OHSU Library in April 2019.
By submitting your work to the contest, you grant OHSU the non-exclusive right to copy and redistribute your creative work in any medium or format in perpetuity. You will retain all of your copyrights, and be able to republish and redistribute your work without restriction.
In order to make the winning essays accessible to all, we will ask the authors to make audio recordings of their work. If the author is unable to do so, we will make an audio recording on their behalf. These audio recordings will be posted on our website along with the text versions.
OHSU Library is excited to support a forum for the OHSU community to express their creativity and share their insight and experience with others.