In addition to partnering with Oregon's urban communities, the Center for Ethics in Health Care has developed a strong network of relationships with the Oregon’s rural communities to learn from them and empower programs in palliative care.
These conferences provide powerful collaborative learning for healthcare professionals of all disciplines to improve the quality of end-of-life care in communities large and small. The conferences also build long-lasting connections with healthcare leaders throughout the state to strengthen Oregon's position as a national leader in palliative care. The Center has found the lessons learned from these rural healthcare professionals and leaders to be invaluable and is grateful to continue this longstanding mission.
This year, The Center is bringing Oregon a virtual lecture series, Compassion and Solidarity: Enhancing Ethical Medical Care in Oregon and Beyond. This virtual lecture series will examine various health care practices through the shared lenses of compassion and solidarity. Over the next few months, our goal is to illuminate complex medical topics including: ethics in the end-of-life context, justice and equity in the Pacific Northwest, how to improve health literacy and become a more compassionate communicator, why storytelling can help prevent burnout and make clinical practice more humane, and ways in which grief and trauma can be diminished through friendship and solidarity. Click HERE to register, view the full series schedule, and for CEU information.
Save the Date!
- Friday, May 21 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - Common Ethical Challenges in End-of-Life Care by Robert Macauley, MD, HEC-C. View the recorded presentation HERE.
- Friday, June 25 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - "We have nothing left to offer you!": Reflections on the Intersection of Futility and Bias in Clinical Care by Maya Scott, MSW, LICSW
- Friday, September 10 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - Cliff Coleman, MD, MPH
- Friday, October 22 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - Elizabeth P. Lahti, MD
- Friday, November 19 from 8:00-9:00AM PT - Susan Hedlund, LCSW, OSW-c, FAOSW and Panel
This initiative is made possible by grant support from The Kinsman Foundation.
Learn more about the work of The Kinsman Foundation.