The Center for Ethics in Health Care is the proud sponsor of the Bioethics Study Group (BSG) seminars. BSG is a monthly gathering of health care professionals exploring timely ethical issues challenging the art and science of patient care. Invited speakers facilitate the discussion and often are faculty and researchers from the OHSU campus. Dr. Lynn A. Jansen, Chair of Ethics Education, facilitates the series and provides insights from years of experience.
The study group is open to all health professions, students, and community members. We welcome attendees to bring their lunch and join us for discussion.
With a few exceptions, the BSG seminars are held once a month on Thursdays, from 12:00-1:00PM. Please see below for the 2020-2021 Bioethics Study Group series schedule.
2020-2021 BSG Schedule
- Monday, September 14 from 12:00-1:00PM - Caring for Hospitalized Adults with Substance Use Disorder: A Panel Discussion with Members of OHSU’s Improving Addiction Care Team (IMPACT) by Honora Englander, MD, Jessica Brown, LCSW, Traci Lundy, IMPACT Peer, Melissa Monner, MS
- Thursday, October 15 from 12:00-1:00PM - Ethical Care Decisions When Patient Decision Making Abilities Are In Question by Rachel Patten, LCSW and David Sant, LCSW
- Tuesday, October 20 from 12:00-1:00PM - Equity and K-12 School Reopening During the COVID-19 Pandemic by Megan Collins, MD, MPH
- Thursday, November 5 from 12:00-1:00PM - POLST and Orders to Limit Treatment: Responding to Surrogate Decision Makers With Compassion, While Ensuring Informed Consent - A Panel Discussion by Jason Davis, JD, Kristine Keough Forte, MS, D.Bioetheics, HEC-C, Fernando Serna, MDiv, BCC and Susan Tolle, MD
- Thursday, November 19 from 12:00-1:00PM - The Problem with Race-Based Medicine by Derick Du Vivier, MD, MBA and Edward Junkins, MD, MPH
- Wednesday, December 2 from 12:00-1:00PM - “I’m Not Sick”: Ethical Decision Making in End of Life Care for Patients Experiencing Severe Mental Illness by Lynn Jansen, PhD, RN, Andrea Monto, LCSW and Jonathan Floriani, MD
- Thursday, January 21 from 12:00-1:00PM - Ethical Answers to Spiritual Requests by Heidi Funke, MN, MA, RN, CMSRN, Bob Macauley, MD, FAAP, FAAHPM, Berklee Robins, MD, MA, and Fernando Serna, MDiv, BCC
- Thursday, February 11 from 12:00-1:00PM - Trauma Informed Care in Clinical Practice by Fern Hemmer, LCSW and Kyle Higgins, MSW, LCSW, CADC-I
- Thursday, March 18 from 12:00-1:00PM - End-of-Life Elective Pain Procedures - Can I Consent to Likely Death? by Sandy Christiansen, MD
View past Bioethics Study Group Seminar schedules below.