The OHSU Diversity Program for Visiting Students is sponsored by OHSU Graduate Medical Education in collaboration with the Center for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Enhance student awareness of opportunities in academic medicine at OHSU and in Portland.
- Increase the number of diverse students applying to OHSU's Residency Programs.
- Provide mentoring and networking for diverse students.
- Mentoring. All participants will be assigned a faculty advisor/mentor and be offered opportunities to network with other OHSU house staff and students.
- Financial Assistance. A stipend of $1,200 will be awarded to cover room and board and transportation during the rotation at OHSU.
- Competitive applicants in the Diversity Program for Visiting Students will have demonstrated personal experience or interest in diversity, health disparities, or serving underrepresented populations.
- The program is open to applicants who demonstrate the above, have expressed interest in applying to an OHSU Residency Program and at least one of the following: grew up in a rural community or have experienced significant disadvantage or adversity.
- Rotations are four weeks in duration and are available, space permitting, to full-time fourth-year students who are in good standing in an LCME- accredited U.S. medical school.
Applying to the Program
Application window opens April 1, 2018, and closes May 15, 2018.
Stipends are open to full-time fourth-year students who are in good standing in an LCME-accredited U.S. medical school and are participating in one of two rotation time frames:
- August 20, 2018 – September 14, 2018
- September 24, 2018 – October 19, 2018
Interested applicants must apply through the VSLO (formerly VSAS) and upload the following additional items:
- Completed application form for the OHSU Diversity Program for Visiting Students
- Letter of Endorsement, including details on the student's qualifications for the Diversity Program.
- Student letter of intent as to his/her qualification and desires for participating in the Diversity Program.
- Demonstrated excellent to outstanding performance in the related third-year clerkship (exceptions considered).
For more information about the Diversity Program for Visiting Students or to receive an application form, please contact the GME Diversity Program at 503-494-8652 or firstname.lastname@example.org.