Professional Development at OHSU
OHSU provides the following programs and workshops that are geared to help you develop a variety of skills including grantsmanship and scientific writing:
The HIP program offers an integrated clinical and translational research education curriculum. There are three tracks, one of which results in a master's degree of clinical research. HIP also offers a certificate and the opportunity to take individual courses. HIP is open to faculty, clinical and postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students at OHSU.
The Vollum Writing Course is an in-depth, 6-week professional science writing course open to all OHSU researchers. This workshop-style class focuses on papers and grants. In addition to class sessions, students receive six individual meetings with the instructor where they will receive personal coaching on their in-progress writing.
This brown-bag lunchtime series provides advice from the OHSU research community and beyond on the important topic of funding your research. Bring your lunch and listen to our panel of wise experts. Workshops are held on the second Thursday of each month and no registration is required. Visit the Funding Focus website to see what topic is being covered this month.
External Career Development ResourcesWe've collected a series of external links that are good resources for professional development information. We make every effort to keep these links up-to-date. If you find a broken link, please let us know.
- Insider's Guide to NIH Peer Review for Applicants (from the NIH Center of Scientific Review)
- New Investigator Article Series
- Making Data Talk: Communicating Public Health Data (a workbook from the National Cancer Institute)
- Dazzle 'em with Style: The Art of Oral Scientific Presentation (from Ohio State University)
- Mastering your PhD: Giving a Great Presentation (from sciencecareers.org)
- Communicating Science: Giving Talks (from Burroughs Wellcome Fund)
Writing Samples & Tips
- Typical Job Application Documents - CV, teaching statements, cover letters (from UCSF)
- Resume Etiquette (from sciencejobs.org)
- 2013 Science Career Directory
- Excellence Everywhere (from Burroughs Wellcome Fund)