News and Events

Upcoming Events

8/24 - 8/27:  US Autism and Asperger Conference in Portland, OR

Over 30 of the world’s most respected researchers, practitioners, and education specialists in the Autism and Asperger community will share valuable resources for your child, family member, patient, friend, student, or yourself at the USAAA 2017 World Conference and Expo, August 24-27, 2017 at the Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel in Portland, Oregon. Parents, Families, Caregivers, Adults with ASD, Employers, Educators, Professionals, Agencies, Self-Advocates, and anyone who wants to learn more about Autism, Asperger Syndrome, and related disorders are welcome to attend.  Click here for information on registration.

 

News

Autism Society of Oregon hosts 2nd annual Autism Bowl

Medford, Ore. - Lava Lanes in Medford hosted the 2nd annual Autism Society of Oregon's Autism Bowl. Read More

 

Spectrum News: OHSU's Brian O'Roak explains possible directions for autism genetics

Over the past 10 years researchers have made tremendous progress in understanding the genetic risk factors for autism; however, many genetic factors still remain to be discovered and, importantly, validated. Most of the efforts to find autism risk genes to date have been focused on the 1 percent of the genome that codes for proteins. In the next decade, the field is moving to explore the rest of our ‘genomic iceberg’ — the 99 percent of DNA that does not code for proteins.... Read More

 

 

Webinar: Thomas Parsons Discusses New Tools for Enhancing Neuropsychological Assessment 

 

AUCD: Oregon Health & Science University Join the Nation's Largest Autism Study (OR UCEDD)

The OHSU SPARK team looks forward to working more with UCEDD's to promote SPARK throughout communities (particularly rural communities) in the Northwest, Midwest, and Pacific Islands. The goal of SPARK is to connect participants to researchers and to offer them the opportunity to impact the direction of autism research... Read More

 

OHSU SPARK Team in Search of Intern 10/3/16

OHSU SPARK Study: A National Autism Cohort In collaboration with The Department of Psychiatry, The Department of Molecular and Medical Genetics, and the Simons Foundation, the SPARK for Autism study is currently accepting applications for interns. The SPARK Intern will work closely with the SPARK Study Coordinator to speak with and recruit participants for the study. The position will also include assisting with the dissemination of SPARK materials at local events, explaining the study to potential participants over the phone or in-person, and some data entry in Microsoft Excel. This is a great opportunity to immerse yourself in a well-structured national autism research study and get job experience at the same time. Primary Duties: The primary duty for this position is recruiting participants for SPARK.

Eligibility: We are seeking applicants with the confidence to reach out to patients about the SPARK study through various means, but mostly through phone calls. The applicant must have Microsoft Excel experience, be a great communicator, and be enthusiastic about autism research. Applicants must have prior knowledge of or be willing to learn about the tenants of basic genetics and basic/exploratory genetic studies, and must be willing and able to clearly communicate these principles to potential participants. Applicants must be over the age of 18 and interested in a career in research. Preference will be given to people with prior customer service and/or research experience.

 

FOX 12 News: OHSU joins nation's largest autism study

04/29/16
“You can imagine a hundred families from across the country who all find out their children have autism for the same reason, having them be able to talk to each other and connect with each other,” O'Roak said... Read More
 

Webinar: Brian O'Roak discusses the accelerating pace of autism genetics

04/27/16